help identifying the red around this live rock

valentino

New Member
View Badges
Joined
May 9, 2022
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
Location
oak lawn IL
What state or country do you live in
Illinois
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_7012.jpeg
 
I agree, although there is some green algae present. It may be cyanobacteria on the rock.

Is the rock very slimy to the touch?
the reddish purple parts are rigid is if I’m touching the rock itself, i’ve attempted to scrape it off with my nail/ plasic tweezers but it’s never come off or shed anything into the water column
 
Looks like coralline on gulf live rock to me.

Mine had several different shades from pinkish/purple ... to red ... to dark red ... to a purple so deep and dark it almost looked black (let's call it midnight sky;)).
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 10 45.5%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 6 27.3%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 1 4.5%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 1 4.5%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 4.5%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new