HELP...malu carpet bitten

hwntunda

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HELP...malu nem bitten

ok folks my hippo just took a bite at my malu nem and now its mouth is huge turning insideout... i put it in a "in tank" fuge to keep it contained, but what do you think i should do?... frag it? leave it alone...HELP!!!

Last edited:
OP
OP
hwntunda

hwntunda

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DSC00421.jpg
heres a pic...

clowns101

Clown and Anemone Crazy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What in the world!This is very odd.Ive never seen a Hippo Tang do this.I find it not quite possbile.Just my opinion.

1)This look like a Bubble Tip to me!I may be wrong!Hard to tell when half its bodys gone!

2)Why would you ever frag it when its in this condition.This would only further more make it stressed out and lower its chances of survival!

3)This anemone look very good for having half of its body removed by whatever.So leave it alone for now.

Leave it alone for now.It should be fine if its a BTA.

And just a little FYI on the situation...theres no such thing as a "Malu Carpet Anemone".There are Malus but they dont carrie the name "Malu Carpet ANemone".They are closer related to the Sebae Anemone.

Thanks

OP
OP
hwntunda

hwntunda

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks i got this one a while back from will, it was posted as a "rainbow malu"... dont remember if carpet...sorry.. mind is just trippn!! the hippo was just going about then paused.... looked.... then BAM!!! no reason?.... all are well fed and tank params are good...just thought to cut to save the better 3/4 of it... but hopefully it'll recover...

I

inactive

View Badges
Typically when tangs or other fish bite and coral/nem/whatever it is because they had a easy food source at some time... i.e. hand feeding a nem and having a hungry fish pull the food from the nem.... sometimes when the nem has no food, is pooping or just exposed for whatever reason... fish will bite/eat the mouth thinking it was whatever you fed the nem... with that being said, I believe that fish can actually acquire tastes for things they normally would not eat in the wild. Heck, my fish love gummi savers.

The nem is a Heteractis Malu.

I

inactive

View Badges
Also, no need to cut the nem.. dip it in lugols for 3-5 minutes and keep an eye on it.

clowns101

Clown and Anemone Crazy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you got this from Will at AquaSD then its the Rainbow Malu he had a month or 2 ago.I know which one it is.I was going to buy it....Thanks!...LOL

This sp. of anemone dosent split at all.This sp. sexually reproduces.Unlike the BTA who produce asexually.So leave it alone...and my adive to you is get rid of the tank if going to be eating stuff liek this.Not good for the anemone.Or you could get rid of the anemone if you want to keep the Tang!:wink:

OP
OP
hwntunda

hwntunda

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Typically when tangs or other fish bite and coral/nem/whatever it is because they had a easy food source at some time... i.e. hand feeding a nem and having a hungry fish pull the food from the nem.... sometimes when the nem has no food, is pooping or just exposed for whatever reason... fish will bite/eat the mouth thinking it was whatever you fed the nem... with that being said, I believe that fish can actually acquire tastes for things they normally would not eat in the wild. Heck, my fish love gummi savers.

The nem is a Heteractis Malu.
true and also thanks for the insight kray! never thought of it that way too... hmmmm ill tell my daughter save me some of her gummies for the tank...lol!

OP
OP
hwntunda

hwntunda

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you got this from Will at AquaSD then its the Rainbow Malu he had a month or 2 ago.I know which one it is.I was going to buy it....Thanks!...LOL

This sp. of anemone dosent split at all.This sp. sexually reproduces.Unlike the BTA who produce asexually.So leave it alone...and my adive to you is get rid of the tank if going to be eating stuff liek this.Not good for the anemone.Or you could get rid of the anemone if you want to keep the Tang!:wink:
yep thats the one! heard i PO lots of ppl... ok i wont cut! hmmmm.... nawh... but u can have the hippo... lol:wink:

clowns101

Clown and Anemone Crazy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldnt worrie about dipping though.Thats just me.Hes stressed out enough I think moving him would hurt even more!

OP
OP
hwntunda

hwntunda

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok ill keep a close eye on him...thanks for your guys advice! really appreciate it!!

OP
OP
hwntunda

hwntunda

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
maybe it could help it recover!... lolnawh...lol i still got those 2 ghosts yet if u want em.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 115 43.4%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 88 33.2%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 43 16.2%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 15 5.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.5%
Back