Help! Marine Ich

ConorE

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Guys,

I recently purchased a new tank, and with it came a Koran Angel, a Flame Angel and a Coral Beauty.

The fish looked otherwise healthy, and I didn't run a QT tank at the time so they were introduced into my old setup, while I get my upgrade all set up and cycled.

After a week or so, my fish started to show signs of Marine Ich. I have corals and an anemone / invertebrates in the tank and didn't have a QT tank so purchased Polplab Medic as I had heard good things for some people, with it also being reef safe. I know I will get a lot of people saying I should have treated copper from the beginning, but it wasn't an option then so I didn't.

Fast forward a week, after it looked like the white spots were finally dropping off all of the fish, it came back with a vengeance and I sadly lost my Flame Angel and Coral Beauty. I'm assuming it had got to their gills as they were lacking on energy and kept going to the top of the water gasping.

I took this as the kick up the butt I needed to set up my QT tank - so that has now been done and all remaining fish transferred, and I also did a freshwater dip on each fish before introducing them to the new tank. I got pH and temp as close as I could to their original tank. (Yellow Tang, Koran Angel, Clownfish and Blue Damsel).

My copper treatment is due to arrive tomorrow, so since yesterday I have continued to use PolypLab Medic.

My question is, my Yellow Tang and Clown are both visually ich free. The YT had it bad at one point but is now showing no signs after 12 days of treatment, the clown has never shown signs. Can they be moved out of the QT tank to avoid re-catching it (if that's a thing?), or do I leave all the fish in there and do a full copper treatment on them regardless?

Sorry for the long post, just wanted to give as much info as I could!

Many Thanks,
Conor

tank.jpg

Tumey

Reefer With A Broken Brain ( TBI Survivor )
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This thread should answer all your questions.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for your losses.

Some brands of meds for treating ich/velvet don't actually rid the tank and fish completely of the parasites. It just suppresses the parasites.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 98 76.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.6%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

• I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back