HELP ME!!! Choose the best controller!

BkReefBaby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I need help choosing the best aquarium controller, I know there are many options. I haven't seen a threads with any real feedback other than some comparisons between Apex and reefkeeper. I want to hear from guys who Have the Apex the reefkeeper the Archon the reefangel and i know im missing a few more so can i get a good answer on why to choose which ever has the best feedback...Thank you

And help me please i dont want to go with an Apex just because they have the best marketing but because its the best!

Windy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an APEX and have experience with no other controller. How can you compare, unless you have some criteria that is important to you? If you don't know what you want, you probably won't get it.

pciscott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have both Apex and Profilux and I can say without a doubt that Apex Fusion is way easier and has parts in stock at all times. The Profilux is a very nice machine, but the support is not that great in the US, I have been waiting for over a year to get the proper bulk head fittings for a Profilux flow sensor and every time I see the salt creep from where it seeps I wonder why I spent so much on that system. I do still use the Profilux as a second set of sensors, Flow sensor, and dosing my 2 part. Apex Fusion runs the rest of my tank.

The only thing I hate with either controllers is Firmware updates, they are terrible and I carry a spare brain for my main system because I have had many problems over the years. I wish I could just pay a fee and send it in because the frustration I have had with either is beyond my threshold!

I like Apex fusion and it has made things much easier adding things to my tank!

OP
OP
BkReefBaby

BkReefBaby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I have an APEX and have experience with no other controller. How can you compare, unless you have some criteria that is important to you? If you don't know what you want, you probably won't get it.

I'm sorry I wasn't very clear you are correct.... I just want to see what everyone says about the controller they are using and from there I can make my own educated guess on which controller to get my comparing feedback and seeing which controller also gets the most good reviews it's usually how I shop for anything

vic5hands

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a Neptune Apex

1447114965491.jpg

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have the Puratek Insight 24/7, and I love it! Definitely check it out.

wpeterson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 for Neptune Apex. As a controller, the Apex is first rate and has all of the capabilities you'd find in most other controllers (ReefKeeper, RefLink, etc).

However, Apex Fusion is the hosted web application that allows you to manage and use your controller via the internet and there isn't a good competitor who provides a service like this. Ecotech is working to bring their ReefLink web service to parity, but Apex Fusion is a complete system and very easy to use. I love it because I am able to share access to my controller with 4-5 other reefers in the area to double check programming, monitor alerts, and learn from each other.

The realtime graphs for probes are excellent and something I look at every day to make sure my reef is healthy and diagnose both problems and when maintenance is needed. The programming is full-featured and I'm grateful to build in safety failsafes and switches for when things fail. You also know you will be able to find a module or setup for any device or sensor you want to use.

You do pay a premium for this, but I think it's worth it. I use my apex every day.

OP
OP
BkReefBaby

BkReefBaby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
+1 for Neptune Apex. As a controller, the Apex is first rate and has all of the capabilities you'd find in most other controllers (ReefKeeper, RefLink, etc).

However, Apex Fusion is the hosted web application that allows you to manage and use your controller via the internet and there isn't a good competitor who provides a service like this. Ecotech is working to bring their ReefLink web service to parity, but Apex Fusion is a complete system and very easy to use. I love it because I am able to share access to my controller with 4-5 other reefers in the area to double check programming, monitor alerts, and learn from each other.

The realtime graphs for probes are excellent and something I look at every day to make sure my reef is healthy and diagnose both problems and when maintenance is needed. The programming is full-featured and I'm grateful to build in safety failsafes and switches for when things fail. You also know you will be able to find a module or setup for any device or sensor you want to use.

You do pay a premium for this, but I think it's worth it. I use my apex every day.

That sounds great I didn't hear about the fusion all I kept hearing was bad things about the constant firmware updates on the apex which really made me hesitate on buying it already but you make the fusion sound worth it

wpeterson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The apex has been great for our tank, but I have a moderately complex system. If you are only looking to turn a few outlets on or off, a lamp timer is a much better value.

Here's a screenshot of my Apex Fusion dashboard for our tank:

apex-screenshot.png

143MPCo

ASSIST PROTECT DEFEND
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run Apex, two different tanks multiple Eb8, some slightly complex and some very simple programing...
apex150.JPG
apex180.JPG

I have been researching the Puratek Insight 24/7, notably it has a lot of features I'm looking for and would be a serious contender if the need arises to replace my current apex systems.
Insight_Overview.jpg

OP
OP
BkReefBaby

BkReefBaby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
[QUOTE[/ATTACH]
I have been researching the Puratek Insight 24/7, notably it has a lot of features I'm looking for and would be a serious contender if the need arises to replace my current apex systems.
Insight_Overview.jpg
[/QUOTE]

hmmm i havent researched the puratek i might start doing some homework on this!

Harry_Y

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apex is probably the most popular, and they are a sponsor.

I had a profilux and a reefkeeper in the past and I lke the
Neptune Apex products and support much more.

Last edited:

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Apex is probably the most popular, and they are a sponsor.
As is Puratek. ;) Both are great companies.

I have no personal experience with Apex, but I'm familiar with their solid reputation and many of the features of their product.

Puratek has been awesome at every level. The multiple interface options and the plethora of features (which continues to grow) makes their controller an excellent option. I've been extremely pleased with mine, and I recommend it without hesitation. Their customer service is also second to none. They're a great company to work with.

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apex is the most popular if you look around the forums. they do make a great product although I have never used one. I have friends in my club that swear by them. That Said I went all in with a reefkeeper elite a few years ago. It was a very solid controller although not as mainstream as the Apex. Last winter I upgraded to the Archon as a Beta tester. the provided me the head unit and it worked with all of my Reefkeeper modules. It was just in time too as I was actually considering moving over to the apex as it offered ALOT more at the time than the RKE. But since going to the Archon, I am veyr pleased. Yes it had some rough spots, and DA is still going through some growing pains on their support end, but I can see that evolving to them offering a much better experience and product.

So, the Archon is LInux based and open source. the interface is completed web driven and can access via phone, tablet or computer. it is quick and in my opinion easy to use. I like it alot.

Choose a controller that fits your knowledge, lifestyle and tank goals. not just from what others have said they believe is the best. and had you asked me this a year ago, I would have said the Apex is best (compared to my RKE) but now, i dont think so.

Harry_Y

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sounds great I didn't hear about the fusion all I kept hearing was bad things about the constant firmware updates on the apex which really made me hesitate on buying it already but you make the fusion sound worth it

For me the updates have been very easy, Fusion is very slick.

Fusion really makes some things super easy.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looks interesting, do they have standard controllable plug strips like the Apex?

I use a lot of outlets.
Yep. The difference is that instead of using any triacs, all of the outlets on the Puratek control module are relay controlled.

JMLewis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I sold my RKE 3 years ago to help fund my Apex, was the best decision ever made.

It's a bit of a punch in the gut cost wise for the initial investment, but I've never regretted it for a moment!

Also I've learned many times over in this hobby to just get the best regardless of cost. I could have saved alot of money if I had purchased top of the line in the first place instead of getting middle of the road, not liking it, and upgrading anyways.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 98 80.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.9%
Back