Help Me Decide on Lights (LED)

sawdonkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need some experienced SPS peeps to help me decide on new lights (LED). I just set up my new 210 after rebuilding due to my upstairs neighbor’s condo fire....that also ruined my condo.

Anyway, like my last tank, this will be mostly SPS and the tank is 30 tall by 72 long by 24 wide. Two cross braces. I ran four Ocean Revives above it for the last three years and had good success with them, but they are tired and the diodes are not full power anymore after running them near 100% for years.

I tried some of the Aquasanrise from Reef Breeders last year, but HATED them (anybody want to buy some Aquasanrise on the cheap?[emoji14]).

I want:

LED
Good spectrum
Internal timer but doesn’t have to have sunrise, etc
Good front to back coverage
Good performance for the $$$. Budget isn’t too big of a concern, but I like a good deal.
Need to be able to mount to the underside of my canopy.

Thinking about re-buying the OR or maybe radions (would three do?). Anything else I should consider?

This is what I look like with my old lights

6cd3095f46c7ea38b6926710aa86fec1.jpg

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need some experienced SPS peeps to help me decide on new lights (LED). I just set up my new 210 after rebuilding due to my upstairs neighbor’s condo fire....that also ruined my condo.

Anyway, like my last tank, this will be mostly SPS and the tank is 30 tall by 72 long by 24 wide. Two cross braces. I ran four Ocean Revives above it for the last three years and had good success with them, but they are tired and the diodes are not full power anymore after running them near 100% for years.

I tried some of the Aquasanrise from Reef Breeders last year, but HATED them (anybody want to buy some Aquasanrise on the cheap?[emoji14]).

I want:

LED
Good spectrum
Internal timer but doesn’t have to have sunrise, etc
Good front to back coverage
Good performance for the $$$. Budget isn’t too big of a concern, but I like a good deal.
Need to be able to mount to the underside of my canopy.

Thinking about re-buying the OR or maybe radions (would three do?). Anything else I should consider?

This is what I look like with my old lights

6cd3095f46c7ea38b6926710aa86fec1.jpg

SB reeflights are very good, as is radions.

tiggs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are a few good options. You can't really go wrong with Radions. They're outstanding, especially with the newer defusers. Personally, I'm a big fan of the AI lights, since they give a great bang for your buck and have a nice integrated controller. If you're an Apex user, they'll be releasing module-less support for all newer AI lights in the near future. If you're looking for something a little more cutting-edge, Nanobox makes nice units that include mint LEDs, which are full spectrum and are rumored to eventually be able to replace whites (they blend nicer than whites and still provide that white balance when blended with other colors). Personally, I don't dive into the cutting-edge stuff until the larger companies like Ecotech complete their R&D and decide to start using new diodes, but figured it was worth mentioning.

Pmj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What did u dislike about the aquasanrise? Adam at BC uses the photons. I would think photons or sbreef would be the equivalent of the OR. I don't have radions but from what everyone says, 3 may not be enough for the tank with large colonies.

OP
OP
sawdonkey

sawdonkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What did u dislike about the aquasanrise? Adam at BC uses the photons. I would think photons or sbreef would be the equivalent of the OR. I don't have radions but from what everyone says, 3 may not be enough for the tank with large colonies.

I didn’t like the spectrum on the Sanrise because they had WAY to much white. Reef Breeder supposedly sold chips to tweak the spectrum, but it was clear that they did not. They were a pain to adjust even though they are supposedly WiFi lights. I could never get them to connect to my network. I had to hook my phone to the light’s WiFi, adjust, hook my phone to the other light’s wifi, adjust, they get back on my regular WiFi. Total pain. My non stop questions to ReefBreeders seemed to annoy them and he basically stopped answering after a while and I gave up. They no longer sell the lights because they too probably realized they are high priced garbage. I flushed $1,200 down the drain.

What I like about the OR is that they spread the diodes out a little more than the other black boxes so you get more coverage. I’m thinking I’ll just buy them again. I can buy four Of them for the price of one Radion and I know they work well.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn’t like the spectrum on the Sanrise because they had WAY to much white. Reef Breeder supposedly sold chips to tweak the spectrum, but it was clear that they did not. They were a pain to adjust even though they are supposedly WiFi lights. I could never get them to connect to my network. I had to hook my phone to the light’s WiFi, adjust, hook my phone to the other light’s wifi, adjust, they get back on my regular WiFi. Total pain. My non stop questions to ReefBreeders seemed to annoy them and he basically stopped answering after a while and I gave up. They no longer sell the lights because they too probably realized they are high priced garbage. I flushed $1,200 down the drain.

What I like about the OR is that they spread the diodes out a little more than the other black boxes so you get more coverage. I’m thinking I’ll just buy them again. I can buy four Of them for the price of one Radion and I know they work well.

OR's would be a good choice again.

OP
OP
sawdonkey

sawdonkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s the main goal? Growth? Color? Where do you live? Is halide an option?

The goal is both color and growth. I live in Chicago. I have a pretty low canopy and don’t want the heat of halide. I basically want to grow my tank out similar to what I had before this fire.
2d872df9f3f1e130a27af2701b4e3b23.jpg

Mark Gray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought Gjesemann not 100 percent how well they will grow coral yet. I will most likely do part readings soon. Tank just cycled. I really lick their look, but like I say I can't tell you yet how they will preform

20180528_194934.jpg

Dr.HarlemTutu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty hot summer out there! From a halide point of view I like the heat in dry Colorado. LED’s are promising. I see a lot of great tanks with Radion g4’s... the new Atlantik’s look awesome as well.

scuzy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the orpheks on my smaller tank and I like it. I also have radions g4 pros on my 210 with same dimension as yours

But I have 4x xr30 and 2x xr15s plus aquaticlife t5 hybrids.

291db17224074a5317e0e26ad91b1206.jpg

AtlCPA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about AP700 by Kessil? BRS had a good review and I’m considering for my 180 build

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 38.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.8%
Back