sawdonkey

sawdonkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recommended spread is 30x24 on these so it would probably work

Yeah, after a little more research, I’m not sure. The Radion G4 pros are 190 watt and the Orphek compacts are 130 watt. Plus you have to buy the gateway with the orpheks. So the price is about the same. They both say the recommended spread is sufficient but the orpheks have a little more spread.

The Radions seem to be the more proven technology. Could I get away with three G4 pros? If I did four, the layout above my tank would be odd given the two cross braces.

leepink23

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, after a little more research, I’m not sure. The Radion G4 pros are 190 watt and the Orphek compacts are 130 watt. Plus you have to buy the gateway with the orpheks. So the price is about the same. They both say the recommended spread is sufficient but the orpheks have a little more spread.

The Radions seem to be the more proven technology. Could I get away with three G4 pros? If I did four, the layout above my tank would be odd given the two cross braces.
I have friends with the gen 4 pro on that size tank and they use 3 but they don’t have a full SPS Tank. I have 2 gen3 pro with diffuser on a 4 foot and at some point I will add the hybrid t5. You could start with 3 for sure

Larz_1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's my story ....

I ran a ReefBreeders Photon 48 V1 over my 120 for 3-4 years and was very happy with it.
I always said "why would I spend the money on Radions when my RB light is just as good?"

Well ... At the beginning of this year I picked up 4 Radion g1's for a great deal.
Then, I decided that If I was going to make the switch, I was going to do it right.
I sent the g1's to Ecotech to upgrade them to g3's ... they made me an offer I couldn't refuse to trade my g1's in on some brand new g4's ..... I'm now running 3 g4's (base-Not the pro version) over my 120 and the difference is AMAZING!

If the price isn't a deal breaker ... I'd recommend going with Radions .... I never thought they were worth the price but, I am a believer now.

I do think you will need 4 for your tank dimensions and the Pros will be better for your 30" depth.
I also run 2-48" T5's as a supplement ..... you MIGHT get away with 3 if you wanted to add some T5's

Just my .02

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I have a 240 with the same cross support beams as you, and my tank is 34 inches tall. All the lights mentioned are great, but I use the 72 inch current usa orbit marine pros. (I have the actual pros not the ic loop version). I started with just two of them and, have had amazing success and, they grow sps like no other. I did add a third pro so there would be no chance of shadowing. This has proven to be just way too much light, and I plan to take the third one off. Keep in mind you want a light you find attractive to your budget, and most of all your eyes. Remeber cost is not everything, and we all have lights that we love. What we don’t have is your point of view and what you find beautiful to your eyes. Trust yourself, and before you spend money, research the top three that you want. Of course you know all of us will support what you decide to use.

Another light that I have purchased (3 of them) is the new Mitras ghl 7200, which I’m going to use on my new 425 tank. From the research I have done, these lights are several steps above the radions and the currents even. I finally get them tomorrow (according to the tracking). Yay! But as far as spectrum, coverage and features and price, there is really nothing out there that stands up to them, (but that is opinion, but also do to me doing some testing with them). Hope some of this really helps you out.

Sincerely
Sarah

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.3%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 173 67.8%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back