Help me decide on lights please!

Rubblereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey fellow reef nerds!

Im currently running a 48" aquaticlife t5 with ati blue plus and coral plus bulbs, and 3 kessil a360we over my red sea reefer 450 (5 foot tank). I'm getting good par numbers, good distribution of light, and good growth, but compared to my Dsuny cheapo chinese LEDs, the kessils just kind of look lackluster. They have much better shimmer and spread, but are noticeably lacking that purpley actinic type UV light that makes the corals really glow. From what I have read, all kessils do have UV built into the chip, but they just dont give my corals the same pop as the Dsuny lights which have 6 uv LEDs built in, and visibly at least the kessils have zero purple in them.

I'm thinking I want to add some dedicated LED UV lights to my setup for that purple pop and as a moonlight. So with that said, does anyone have any experience/opinion on the reefbrite UVA LED lights or something similar? The RB UVs come in 3" 2.5W and 8" 9W versions. I am wondering how many I would need, for instance, could I get away with 2 of the mini 2.5W units to just give a little purple pop, or on the flip side would 2 of the 8" units would be overkill and possibly burn corals? From my limited research people say that the 8" unit is more than enough for big tanks, but with the 3 kessils in the AL fixture I would have to mount the 8" unit on one side or the other which I think would look wierd and unbalanced. Here are the 2 contenders for now. Any alternatives, advice, or input would be appreciated!!
1614118019266.png

OP
OP
Rubblereefer

Rubblereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think you will need quite a few of those to do the job. While not a cheap option, I would get 1-2 Reef Bright XHO strips. These will do the job better than you can wish for.
Thanks for the feedback, but I think 1-2 XHOs on top of 4 t5 bulbs and 3 a360s is going to give my corals a pretty severe tan! Im already at about 250 average PAR in the tank before I add these, and that is with the kessils set at like 25% max. I'm really looking for just enough light to give that little bit of purple pop, to put it in perspective, the tank with the DSuny lights looks great, and only has 6 UV leds in that fixture and at 20% intesity on that UV channel that is more than enough for my 46 gallon which is a little more than half the size of the reefer. Granted this RSR 450 is 2 ft longer, but I think 2 of the 8" units would be more than enough, I could do that but I am worried I will fry my corals.

lpsouth1978

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the feedback, but I think 1-2 XHOs on top of 4 t5 bulbs and 3 a360s is going to give my corals a pretty severe tan! Im already at about 250 average PAR in the tank before I add these, and that is with the kessils set at like 25% max. I'm really looking for just enough light to give that little bit of purple pop, to put it in perspective, the tank with the DSuny lights looks great, and only has 6 UV leds in that fixture and at 20% intesity on that UV channel that is more than enough for my 46 gallon which is a little more than half the size of the reefer. Granted this RSR 450 is 2 ft longer, but I think 2 of the 8" units would be more than enough, I could do that but I am worried I will fry my corals.
Makes sense. You could always try a couple 8" units and add more later if needed.

OP
OP
Rubblereefer

Rubblereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Makes sense. You could always try a couple 8" units and add more later if needed.
Thanks, yeah Im kind of leaning that way, but I was kinda worried that would be too much UV light if anything. I guess I could always put 2 in, drop the kessils down as low as they will go, and see what PAR reads, but I thought I read somewhere that the seneye would not pick up par from spectrum below 400 or so, so I might be flying blind. Dana Riddle what should I do?!

OP
OP
Rubblereefer

Rubblereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4054DE8A-C11E-486C-9B2B-C3A1BAEE3A4E.jpeg

here in this pic you can see the difference wit the near uv LEDs on the left, and the kessil s at full blue on the right. It’s an even more pronounced difference in person.

Josh Will

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4054DE8A-C11E-486C-9B2B-C3A1BAEE3A4E.jpeg

here in this pic you can see the difference wit the near uv LEDs on the left, and the kessil s at full blue on the right. It’s an even more pronounced difference in person.
The left one is DSunY light? it is more colorful than right one. What model you bought them?

OP
OP
Rubblereefer

Rubblereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The left one is DSunY light? it is more colorful than right one. What model you bought them?
Yes those are DSUNY lights. I have the early version where there , was no way to turn them to all blue, I think that changed in 2019. i know most people poo poo those lights, but I actually love them, and they are 3 years old and going strong. The lack of an all blue channel really bothered people, but that never bugged me, as the single warm white with all blue is actually really natural looking, and very pleasing to the eye and has no problem fluorescing corals.. I thoughtI wanted all blue for a while, so I just took a piece of scotch tape that I colored blue with a sharpie, and taped it to the lens directly below the warm white. It worked, but I peeled it off, as I prefer the 2 warm whites on he channel. The controller Is a little awkward but easy enough once you figure it out, and they keep it relatively straightforward rather than force you to use some garbage app. I would buy them again if I were in the market for budget lights.

OP
OP
Rubblereefer

Rubblereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ended up just getting 2 mini magnums for the tank since the dual 8” setup would be too bright to run as moonlights and I couldn’t see any way to dim them without DIY electronic work. I can always get two more, or some other actinic strip later if I want more purple light. I’ll post some pics when I get them mounted!

fishhead1973

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey fellow reef nerds!

Im currently running a 48" aquaticlife t5 with ati blue plus and coral plus bulbs, and 3 kessil a360we over my red sea reefer 450 (5 foot tank). I'm getting good par numbers, good distribution of light, and good growth, but compared to my Dsuny cheapo chinese LEDs, the kessils just kind of look lackluster. They have much better shimmer and spread, but are noticeably lacking that purpley actinic type UV light that makes the corals really glow. From what I have read, all kessils do have UV built into the chip, but they just dont give my corals the same pop as the Dsuny lights which have 6 uv LEDs built in, and visibly at least the kessils have zero purple in them.

I'm thinking I want to add some dedicated LED UV lights to my setup for that purple pop and as a moonlight. So with that said, does anyone have any experience/opinion on the reefbrite UVA LED lights or something similar? The RB UVs come in 3" 2.5W and 8" 9W versions. I am wondering how many I would need, for instance, could I get away with 2 of the mini 2.5W units to just give a little purple pop, or on the flip side would 2 of the 8" units would be overkill and possibly burn corals? From my limited research people say that the 8" unit is more than enough for big tanks, but with the 3 kessils in the AL fixture I would have to mount the 8" unit on one side or the other which I think would look wierd and unbalanced. Here are the 2 contenders for now. Any alternatives, advice, or input would be appreciated!!
1614118019266.png
reef bright for sure there pretty bright so take care with your par reading.

OP
OP
Rubblereefer

Rubblereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I got the mini mags and mounted them. Pretty disappointing results, they are just way too dim, even as moonlights, 2 of them over a 5 foot tank is not really adequate. It looks cool but I think I need 2 more to get the look I want. At that point, I may as well just pick up 2 more Dsuny lights and just run the UV channel. So I may just do that.

neonreef3d

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Well I got the mini mags and mounted them. Pretty disappointing results, they are just way too dim, even as moonlights, 2 of them over a 5 foot tank is not really adequate. It looks cool but I think I need 2 more to get the look I want. At that point, I may as well just pick up 2 more Dsuny lights and just run the UV channel. So I may just do that.
Yes!! get the Dsuny LEDS, I have them over my tank and am pleased with the performance so far, I have been running them for a couple of weeks, and they are running with no issues whatsoever. The price makes it worth every penny!!
SBNG7394.JPG

Im planing on installing another. just dont need it yet, by the time Ill need it, perhaps something better will come out!!

OP
OP
Rubblereefer

Rubblereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes!! get the Dsuny LEDS, I have them over my tank and am pleased with the performance so far, I have been running them for a couple of weeks, and they are running with no issues whatsoever. The price makes it worth every penny!!
SBNG7394.JPG

Im planing on installing another. just dont need it yet, by the time Ill need it, perhaps something better will come out!!
Nice looking tank, but those Dsuny lights are a little different than mine, I have the older version of these ones. Do yours have an all UV channel?
1616708295982.png

neonreef3d

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Nice looking tank, but those Dsuny lights are a little different than mine, I have the older version of these ones. Do yours have an all UV channel?
1616708295982.png
i think those are the older models, not sure how many channels they are, but I heard people had trouble with those, and have improved since then,,,
s-l1600.jpg

This is what I have, most of the "UV" LEDS are goint to be CH2 and CH3.
I got my LED a month ago, and has been working good so far.

OP
OP
Rubblereefer

Rubblereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i think those are the older models, not sure how many channels they are, but I heard people had trouble with those, and have improved since then,,,
s-l1600.jpg

This is what I have, most of the "UV" LEDS are goint to be CH2 and CH3.
I got my LED a month ago, and has been working good so far.
Interesting, the lights have changed since mine was produced. In my case Channel # 2 contains 410 nm purple and 395 nm ultra violet. Which is exactly what I want now pretty much

FBAA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Turing 30 Lights from DsunY. The initial wavelengths are OK but I ordered LEDs and made them what I need. The only thing you have to watch is there are 4 LEDs on channel 4 that run on the 12V fan rail so it is best to put a red LED there because they have a lower forward voltage. It's easy to do and you can get what you want. Don't pay attention to my messy desk in the photo.

Attachments

• 20210427_113851.jpg
    20210427_113851.jpg
    254.4 KB · Views: 24
OP
OP
Rubblereefer

Rubblereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Turing 30 Lights from DsunY. The initial wavelengths are OK but I ordered LEDs and made them what I need. The only thing you have to watch is there are 4 LEDs on channel 4 that run on the 12V fan rail so it is best to put a red LED there because they have a lower forward voltage. It's easy to do and you can get what you want. Don't pay attention to my messy desk in the photo.
I think those are the same ones I have. My one 395nm went bad after a couple years, and I was able to solder in a new one with limited electrical skills, they are pretty easy to work on. I recently contacted Dsuny, now named “popbloom” on ebay, and it turns out they will make their lights in whatever custom layouts you want for like 20 bucks extra per panel so I think I’d just do that in this case. I was thinking My layout would use the smallest channel, channel 2, for a single warm white, red, and green, to bring Out the non fluorescent corals color. Then channel 1 a mix of 450nm and 20k, channel 3 straight 450 blue with a couple 470, and channel 4 395/410blue Actinic. What do you think of that layout?

FBAA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think those are the same ones I have. My one 395nm went bad after a couple years, and I was able to solder in a new one with limited electrical skills, they are pretty easy to work on. I recently contacted Dsuny, now named “popbloom” on ebay, and it turns out they will make their lights in whatever custom layouts you want for like 20 bucks extra per panel so I think I’d just do that in this case. I was thinking My layout would use the smallest channel, channel 2, for a single warm white, red, and green, to bring Out the non fluorescent corals color. Then channel 1 a mix of 450nm and 20k, channel 3 straight 450 blue with a couple 470, and channel 4 395/410blue Actinic. What do you think of that layout?
For $20 just do it. I do my own configurations because I am experimenting in the UV 365nm+ range.

OP
OP
Rubblereefer

Rubblereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For $20 just do it. I do my own configurations because I am experimenting in the UV 365nm+ range.
Are you doing that to try to bring out more color pigment in the color I’m guessing? I thought UVleds in that spectrum range burn themselves out quickly, although I can see you have the skills to pop a new one in quick enough.

FBAA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you doing that to try to bring out more color pigment in the color I’m guessing? I thought UVleds in that spectrum range burn themselves out quickly, although I can see you have the skills to pop a new one in quick enough.
I'm doing it to look at the natural spectrum. There is a lot of UV in the ocean. We have seen the fluorescence from 450nm to green (Stokes shift), I have to wonder if there is the same in the UV range. Just because we as humans can't see it doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 76 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 69 34.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back