Help me Id these zoas please!

Perpetual Novice

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought these at an auction from my LFS. they're gorgeous and look just like the photo in my tank under day lights. This is the wysiwyg photo from the auction sight because I cant get a good representative photo myself. They called them blue eyes zoas but Ive never heard of that. I have them on a frag rack next to some blow pops fyi and they look very different. Does anyone know what they might be?

blue eyes zoa.jpg

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought these at an auction from my LFS. they're gorgeous and look just like the photo in my tank under day lights. This is the wysiwyg photo from the auction sight because I cant get a good representative photo myself. They called them blue eyes zoas but Ive never heard of that. I have them on a frag rack next to some blow pops fyi and they look very different. Does anyone know what they might be?

blue eyes zoa.jpg
That piece is definitely unique. To be honest, I don’t know. Never seen anything like it. The closest I’ve seen is OG dragon eyes but yours have multiple rings and are bow tie zoas.

OP
OP
Perpetual Novice

Perpetual Novice

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That piece is definitely unique. To be honest, I don’t know. Never seen anything like it. The closest I’ve seen is OG dragon eyes but yours have multiple rings and are bow tie zoas.

exactly the difference I was noticing that makes them hard to identify. are there any good zoa indexes? ive checked the ones available with a quick google search and they dont have them.

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
exactly the difference I was noticing that makes them hard to identify. are there any good zoa indexes? ive checked the ones available with a quick google search and they dont have them.
That’s exactly the issue. I’m thinking it’s a not named wild colony that the lfs probably picked up from a wholesaler (probably Indo) and it hasn’t grown popularity to be named yet.

OP
OP
Perpetual Novice

Perpetual Novice

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s exactly the issue. I’m thinking it’s a not named wild colony that the lfs probably picked up from a wholesaler (probably Indo) and it hasn’t grown popularity to be named yet.

hehe guess if they grow well enough to frag and dont change color I could invent my own name...

OP
OP
Perpetual Novice

Perpetual Novice

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m pretty sure they’re an og dragon eye morph. Dragon ball z zoas would be an interesting name ;Hilarious

I guess I'll follow up after theyve been in the tank a while and manifest their true colors. ive got a clip on filter and lense kit for my phone but I feel like it always embelishes how they really look under normal lighting and not the actinicic lighting for glmour shots. if they look cool and unique then theyre dragon ball z zoas ahah

OP
OP
Perpetual Novice

Perpetual Novice

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what impresses me about them compared to many other zoas with blue in the disk is that it doesnt need to flouresce under actinics to show strong blue color. I also picked up a 1 polyp frag of WWC AOI as well and the blues are comprable in intensity although a lighter shade.

OP
OP
Perpetual Novice

Perpetual Novice

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
why I love my lfs auctions. they dont use orange filter under actinics to photograph. I think they keep their lights sowhere between 10k and 12k and maybe use a yellow filter. Im not sure but the photos match reality every time. although sometimes some stellar designer corals look almost drab in their photos, it just means i snag them on the cheap, and then they live up to their name once they color up in my tank.

this is just the first time i couldnt find a baseline to compare my zoas to online. I try to place them so that they color up to match their advertised colors online. but this time ill just spitball it ahah

OP
OP
Perpetual Novice

Perpetual Novice

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
also if anyone likes them, theres another frag in the online auction ending tonight. i think youre not supposed to promote anyone on here so I wont say where. but a reveerse image search may be handy...

OP
OP
Perpetual Novice

Perpetual Novice

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here they are freshly opened in my tank with a macro lense, no filter, and lights about 11k. Blow pops on the far left for comparison. Bambams in the center.

8EB27679-F2DB-4968-9B2C-3E4CD7A0BE46.jpeg 665F1315-0AA4-4755-8C0B-5D89E86B4CB2.jpeg 2B1AC80B-031C-4593-8E4A-7D5B676F1610.jpeg

OP
OP
Perpetual Novice

Perpetual Novice

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kinda look like og’s or gorilla nipples

there are actually gorilla nips on the same rack so i can rule them out. when they open fully and my lights reach their full bright in the afternoon ill try again with a filter. wasnt happy with how these turned out. maybe im not seeing what I dont want to, but in person they really dont seem to match the pictures for OG dragon eyes Im finding online in color or pattern.

NanoDJS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not dragon eyes , but we used to call these blondies , not bebhb either , just blondies , looks like they came from t5 or radion ab+ for a long time in that first pic the stryations are crazy good.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 26 21.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back