Help Me Pick New Lights

ReefGeezer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all. A good friend brought over his Apogee MQ-20 Par Meter and I was shocked at the low PAR levels my light were yielding. While I am disappointed, it explains some issues I am having. I'm in the market for new lights now. I have a 90 Gallon mixed reef that is SPS dominate. Right now it is mostly Monti's because most Acro's didn't do well. I have 2 Rapid LED Onyx fixtures that I bought used so I really don't know the hours on them. I've had them over two years though and they've run at 100%. I'm really ready to upgrade. No more used units, and my budget is big enough so I don't have to exclude anything.

I've considered 3 Ecotech XR15 G5 Pro or 2 XR 30's, 2 or 3 Kessel A360's, A 200W Maxspec Razor X, and a 6 or 8 bulb ATI Sunpower. Hybride seen interesting. Ocean Revive fixtures LOOK appealing for the price but I don't know much about them.

So tell me what I should buy. Please. I don't want to spend a bunch of cash and be disappointed. I want to keep high end acros. Everything else in in place. Now I know lights are the last piece of the puzzle.

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is your 90 gallon a standard sized tank (dimensions)? Also, do you have a preference right now for T5/Hybrid vs LED and do you have specific requirements in terms of how you want to controll the light (on off/wifi/bluetooth, ramp up/ramp down, etc.)

Also, is your budget unlimited or are you trying to stay under a certain price?

Scorpius

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want to keep high end Acro's and you don't want to fuss with lighting and just plug it in and grow stuff then ATI T5 it is.

OP
OP
ReefGeezer

ReefGeezer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is your 90 gallon a standard sized tank (dimensions)? Also, do you have a preference right now for T5/Hybrid vs LED and do you have specific requirements in terms of how you want to controll the light (on off/wifi/bluetooth, ramp up/ramp down, etc.)

Also, is your budget unlimited or are you trying to stay under a certain price?
Standard, 48×21x18. No method of control requirements but would like to be able to control color channels, ramp. on/off, and etc.. no type preference but LED seems the most efficient.

ReefGrammie

Must...stay...away...from...live...sales...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First of all, your user name is cracking me up...from ReefGeezer to ReefGrammie. Are we old or just advanced young?? ;Joyful

I also have a 90-gallon mixed reef...mostly acros up high and montis in the middle, The last light I purchased was the ReefBreeders 50" Photon V2+...it was my second LED from them in probably 6 years. I speak highly of Logan and the customer service. Programming can be a little tricky, but this Grammie figured it out. Mine is built in my canopy, but several mounting options come with the light.

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my votes would either be the ATI sunpower so that you know you can grow anything under the sun and take the lighting out of the equation or a 4 bulb T5/LED hyrbid. That way you can still have your t5 "base" for growing SPS then play around with deciding between your kessils/XRs so you can fine tune the overall color temperature to something you like.

This isn't to say any of the ones you mentioned won't work- they will all grow SPS fantastically and often it comes down to personal preference of their look/features. I personally wouldn't put too much weight in "efficiency".

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every 16 months or so.

BRS tested this:

OP
OP
ReefGeezer

ReefGeezer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every 16 months or so.

BRS tested this:

Thanks. I guess $200 (~$25 X 8) for bulb replacement every 16 months isn't terrible. I have considered going back to T5's before but always balked because of the cost. However, given the great disappointment I have in my current LEDs, I am strongly considering the move.

WIReefer

608 MOD SQUAD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I guess $200 (~$25 X 8) for bulb replacement every 16 months isn't terrible. I have considered going back to T5's before but always balked because of the cost. However, given the great disappointment I have in my current LEDs, I am strongly considering the move.
I would make the move I ran kessils and AI for the longest time switched to a Sunpower and honestly love it changing the bulbs every year or so doesn’t bother me since the cost of leds are so high and I know I’m getting better growth with them.

OP
OP
ReefGeezer

ReefGeezer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would make the move I ran kessils and AI for the longest time switched to a Sunpower and honestly love it changing the bulbs every year or so doesn’t bother me since the cost of leds are so high and I know I’m getting better growth with them.
An ATI Sunpower and 8 bulbs ain't cheap either! While I'm prepared to spend the money, sticker shock is still a factor. Additionally, I have a 12" canopy. I think the Sunpower fixture would fit inside it, but I worry about heat.

WIReefer

608 MOD SQUAD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An ATI Sunpower and 8 bulbs ain't cheap either! While I'm prepared to spend the money, sticker shock is still a factor. Additionally, I have a 12" canopy. I think the Sunpower fixture would fit inside it, but I worry about heat.
This is true but after initial cost I’m okay with spending the money on bulbs every year the growth difference I’ve had seems to be outstanding. I actually found a Sunpower online for cheap on Craigslist I got lucky, the fans on the Sunpower actually work pretty well I would try and run that setup and go from there if heat is an issue

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me, I would go with the 6 bulb ATI or if you have to have LEDs, then get a Photon V2. I am not into pucks and would use panel type lights if somebody forced me to.

Used SunPowers can be found and are long lived. Try and find one. No need for dimming, so save your money there. If you are worried about the cost of bulb replacement, then weight that against all of the frags that you can sell with the increased growth from the SunPower over what you have now.

DO NOT EVER tell anybody that you use their fixtures in a hood. I will void the warranty on nearly all of them. Just a simple fan on the same timer as the lights will keep everything well ventilated and cool - don't try and get cut and use a fan when the tank water heats up since you will already be behind for the day and not likely keep up.

OP
OP
ReefGeezer

ReefGeezer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me, I would go with the 6 bulb ATI or if you have to have LEDs, then get a Photon V2. I am not into pucks and would use panel type lights if somebody forced me to.

Used SunPowers can be found and are long lived. Try and find one. No need for dimming, so save your money there. If you are worried about the cost of bulb replacement, then weight that against all of the frags that you can sell with the increased growth from the SunPower over what you have now.

DO NOT EVER tell anybody that you use their fixtures in a hood. I will void the warranty on nearly all of them. Just a simple fan on the same timer as the lights will keep everything well ventilated and cool - don't try and get cut and use a fan when the tank water heats up since you will already be behind for the day and not likely keep up.

Thanks. I'm thinking about ditching the canopy now anyway. So going from an 8 bulb dimming model to a 6 bulb standard helps the wallet quite a bit. I'm getting pretty fond on the Sunpower!

Futuretotm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best of the Best (sans shimmer): ATI sunpower PERIOD
Want shimmer as well? Reefbreeder V2 + T5 DONE

OP
OP
ReefGeezer

ReefGeezer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow. i really didn't know Sunpower fixtures were so popular. I though most would be talking about the high end LEDs. I'm not a big fan of shimmer and I do have shadowing issues that I'd like to resolve. So, if I chose the 6 bulb ATI Sunpower, non-dimmable model, what bulb combinations would you all recommend?

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only really keep acropora and clams and of the 25 dudes that I trade with nationwide and my friends here, less than 5 of them use LEDs as a main light source and probably more like 2 or 3. Don't think that a vocal majority on a technology platform is what is really out there in the real world... the newer folks with the most enthusiasm make up the majority of online content.

ATI just keeps on kicking ***** over and over and over and it is hard to beat.

Back