Help me skip the crud in my mixing station!

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
In the following @Bulk Reef Supply YouTube video (about 1 minute into the video), they talk about adding a BRS reactor with a 5 micron filter to a saltwater mixing station to get rid of the crud. They don't really give any more details. Is this simply dropping a Sicce 1.5 (or comparable) pump into the mixing container and running the hoses to and from the reactor? I welcome any thoughts or suggestions. Additionally, if you have ever done this yourself I'd love to hear your about your experience as well as any tips and tricks.

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, in the video one of the options are heaters and continues power head use. Are you running a power head and heater the whole time you have water in your mixing tank? That's the way I do it and have never had any residue at the bottom. As we talked before, I only mix for water changes and have water mixing for a week max, and you always have water going so I don't know if that is the difference between you and I.

OP
OP
Peace River

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So, in the video one of the options are heaters and continues power head use. Are you running a power head and heater the whole time you have water in your mixing tank? That's the way I do it and have never had any residue at the bottom. As we talked before, I only mix for water changes and have water mixing for a week max, and you always have water going so I don't know if that is the difference between you and I.

There is a heater, but I do not currently have a powerhead in the mixing station container. The water is continuously flowing in a loop (on high during mixing and then low after that). It helps when I have the filter sock in place and would probably also help if I filled the container and then slowly added the salt. I already have a new BRS reactor that is on the shelf so I was thinking that I may try this added approach as an experiment.

OP
OP
Peace River

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@19 second, did you notice that our own @Randy Holmes-Farley was featured in the video?
bird uk GIF by BBC Earth

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a heater, but I do not currently have a powerhead in the mixing station container. The water is continuously flowing in a loop (on high during mixing and then low after that). It helps when I have the filter sock in place and would probably also help if I filled the container and then slowly added the salt. I already have a new BRS reactor that is on the shelf so I was thinking that I may try this added approach as an experiment.
Keep us posted on your journey, I just purchased an offer up 75 reef set up, so I will be running mine full time soon.

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the benefits of using Grey Brute Containers, is no light, so no weird blooms. Also easy to wheel outside to hose out. I have Acid cleaned in the past, but found out a hose out will loosen the percipient attached to the bottom.

Roatan Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I simply use a heater and a fish bubbler...like the ones you keep on hand if you lose power, or need to keep shrimp alive when fishing.

I have found though, that at the half way point of RODI water making, I add my IORC salt mix and give it a good shake and twirl...add bubbler and heater,,let sit for a few hours, and I have almost 0 crud left.

I do 5g batches at a time.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been doing this for years, and my barrels are spotless with regular purple box IO.

I have a large external pump that I use to mix, and send water to my tank. What I simply did was add a 5 micron sediment filter(with appropriate housing) on a closed loop that I use to circulate the water through.

I use a T fitting to either circulate the water through the barrel, or turn a valve and I send water to the tank, but again said water still goes through the sediment filter.

Sorry @Peace River I saw your query on your other thread about the filter, just did not have time to respond to you.

I'll go take a couple pics, and post them in the next post.

EDIT:

@Randy Holmes-Farley has often thought(as do I) that since I lower the alkalinity with acid, that the precipitate is also cut down drastically by reducing the alk level. Not sure if this is true, but I have always lowered the alkalinity of IO.

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20230725_062134.jpg

Ok first photo is my mixing station with the huge MRC pump I won on here. Left barrel is RO/DI, right is salt.

20230725_062157.jpg

Sediment filter. Just a plain jane RO/DI housing with a 5 micron sediment filter(think iot cost me a total of $30 to setup with the hoses, and plumbing fittings)

20230725_062202.jpg

T valve where I either send water to the tank, or recirculate through the barrel.

20230725_062206.jpg

And this is a simple bulkhead thasts ends water from the filter back into the barrel. I do not circulate all the water through the filter, it's an off shoot of the main plumbing.

20230725_062238.jpg

And my barrel. Full of water, but I think you can see clearly enough that they are clean.

dangles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
20230725_062134.jpg

Ok first photo is my mixing station with the huge MRC pump I won on here. Left barrel is RO/DI, right is salt.

20230725_062157.jpg

Sediment filter. Just a plain jane RO/DI housing with a 5 micron sediment filter(think iot cost me a total of $30 to setup with the hoses, and plumbing fittings)

20230725_062202.jpg

T valve where I either send water to the tank, or recirculate through the barrel.

20230725_062206.jpg

And this is a simple bulkhead thasts ends water from the filter back into the barrel. I do not circulate all the water through the filter, it's an off shoot of the main plumbing.

20230725_062238.jpg

And my barrel. Full of water, but I think you can see clearly enough that they are clean.

Where did you get the bulkheads?

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where did you get the bulkheads?

I believe the larger bulkheads(1 1/1/2") are just Sch 40 bulheads from BRS. The smaller bulkhead(1/2") I think I found at lowes. They have a thicker gasket that you can compress to the thinner walls of the brute so they don't leak(basically it makes the thinner walls of the brute a flat surface).

I do not like uniseals as I have never had them not leak, eventually. Smaller diameter pipe they are ok with, but anything over 3/4", and they eventually leak. Even the single one you see in my barrel, leaks. But I only use it to send water from the RO/DI to the salt barrel. So it's not in constant use, and the little drip I can handle while I fill it up.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Ive been currently running my single poly tank since December and have Zero precipitation or buidup of any kind.
In it is a heater and driven by a running circulation pump externally

1690315008636.png

OP
OP
Peace River

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ive been currently running my single poly tank since December and have Zero precipitation or buidup of any kind.
In it is a heater and driven by a running circulation pump externally

1690315008636.png
What type of salt? Is it a “dirty” salt like IO or RC?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 112 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back