HELP me with my scopa tang

gmeazy01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

So I bought this fish a week ago and today I noticed that their eyes got some cloudiness with it. I have a new tank and everything in it started from scratch. I am not sure if my tang had a little battle with my clownfish because one of my clownfish's tail had a little scratch too. I did not quarantine this tang as my lfs quarantines it as well.

my parameters are:

Ammonia: 0 PPM
Nitrite: 0 PPM
Nitrate: 5 PPM

I put a frozen food for them and he still eats and still swims around eating a few algae from rocks or the glass. I had a lemon peel angelfish and they fought a lot so I removed the lemon peel angel fish. I may have stressed the tang out when I was trying to catch the lemon peel fish because that was difficult and I had to disassemble my rocks for me to catch him. While I was catching the lemon angel fish the tang was really scared. I honestly don't want to lose Amnesia (tang's name) :(

954640EB-3025-4FCD-9BB2-CE3A7BCA14E0.jpeg 3F5EF0C9-7B89-469C-AD53-48756C014C90.jpeg 93B39B3D-2959-4292-A76E-47F189E30A61.jpeg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

So I bought this fish a week ago and today I noticed that their eyes got some cloudiness with it. I have a new tank and everything in it started from scratch. I am not sure if my tang had a little battle with my clownfish because one of my clownfish's tail had a little scratch too. I did not quarantine this tang as my lfs quarantines it as well.

my parameters are:

Ammonia: 0 PPM
Nitrite: 0 PPM
Nitrate: 5 PPM

I put a frozen food for them and he still eats and still swims around eating a few algae from rocks or the glass. I had a lemon peel angelfish and they fought a lot so I removed the lemon peel angel fish. I may have stressed the tang out when I was trying to catch the lemon peel fish because that was difficult and I had to disassemble my rocks for me to catch him. While I was catching the lemon angel fish the tang was really scared. I honestly don't want to lose Amnesia (tang's name) :(

954640EB-3025-4FCD-9BB2-CE3A7BCA14E0.jpeg 3F5EF0C9-7B89-469C-AD53-48756C014C90.jpeg 93B39B3D-2959-4292-A76E-47F189E30A61.jpeg

Are both the fish's eyes cloudy? If so, you may need to consider treating it for Neobenedenia flukes. Do you have a treatment tank? If not, you may have to try Prazipro, although that is not always effective at giving a permanent. cure.

If just one eye is cloudy, it could just be from getting a bump or a scrape.

Jay

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I believe it was one eye
Although Melafix would work, the more effective remedy is maracyn one

OP
OP
G

gmeazy01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are both the fish's eyes cloudy? If so, you may need to consider treating it for Neobenedenia flukes. Do you have a treatment tank? If not, you may have to try Prazipro, although that is not always effective at giving a permanent. cure.

If just one eye is cloudy, it could just be from getting a bump or a scrape.

Jay

Hi so it’s both of her eyes but I also saw the fish kind of hitting themselves to the rock, probably scratching.

The fish still eats healthy and continue to eat algae.

I dont have a qt but I am planning to buy a small 15gallon tank today, will that be okay for her? It’s only $15 bucks from my lfs.

will I have to cycle my QT? lol I’ve never set up quarantine tank before.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you should consider doing a freshwater dip to screen for Neobenedenia flukes. Carefully catch the fish and place it in a clean plastic container of freshwater the same temperature as the tank. After 5 minutes, return the fish to the tank. Look at the bottom of the container for little white things that look like sesame seeds or scales. If you have a magnifying glass, that helps. Make sure the fish can’t jump out during the dip. I prefer to use dechlorinated tap water, but RODI can be used if you add a pinch of baking soda for ph control.
Jay

OP
OP
G

gmeazy01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you should consider doing a freshwater dip to screen for Neobenedenia flukes. Carefully catch the fish and place it in a clean plastic container of freshwater the same temperature as the tank. After 5 minutes, return the fish to the tank. Look at the bottom of the container for little white things that look like sesame seeds or scales. If you have a magnifying glass, that helps. Make sure the fish can’t jump out during the dip. I prefer to use dechlorinated tap water, but RODI can be used if you add a pinch of baking soda for ph control.
Jay
I will do a freshwater dip. It’s not ich right? Will this disease affect my corals and other fish?

OP
OP
G

gmeazy01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay I havent done the freshwater dip cus Im a little afraid to do it. But her eyes look better. Swiming around and all. Is it possible that if she has flukes the flukes went out in my display tank and out to infect others?? :/

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 37

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It doesn’t look like ich, it won’t affect your invertebrates. If it is flukes, it can infect other fish, depending on the species. If you aren’t comfortable doing the dip, you might want to hold off a bit for more definite symptoms.
Jay

OP
OP
G

gmeazy01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It doesn’t look like ich, it won’t affect your invertebrates. If it is flukes, it can infect other fish, depending on the species. If you aren’t comfortable doing the dip, you might want to hold off a bit for more definite symptoms.
Jay
Thanks for your advice. I may wait a little bit until the tang shows any major symptoms. Not too major to the point it's dying but any noticeable difference.

On the other hand, I just received my hanna test kit for reef keeping and for some reason I keep getting a blinking 0.9PPM. Is my gadget being inaccurate? If I have high phosphates such as 0.9 PPM wouldn't my corals die or fish wont be able to breath? I dont see any hard breathing from corals nor fish. I dont have much algae bloom either except browning of rocks.

Back