Help moving a 40 Gal. mixed reef tank.

SubsonicMilk0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone! I've used this forum ever since I started the saltwater hobby 4 years ago and was impressed by the great advice the people on here gave. And so, I present my very first question on this forum: How do I transport my 40 Gal. mixed reef to my new house?

I currently live in south-central Kentucky and am about to start a rather sizable trek to the Burlington, Vermont, area to start college. The trip will be via car/truck and will have to stop and stay a single night at a hotel. I have put back a bit of money to buy the supplies for this, but I feel that I may have all I need...hopefully. :)

If you guys have any advice, it would be greatly appreciated! I'm not going to post the status of my water unless anyone feels it to be necessary information.

The various equipment with my aquarium is:
40-gallon bowfront display
20-gallon sump with Reef Octopus protein skimmer (I think the INT-110 model), activated charcoal, filter medium and refugium with live rock, live sand, and chaeto. I use an Eshopps overflow box and Sicce return pump. I built the sump myself last year!
Jebao pp4 wavemaker
LED lights
Aqualand Heater for up to 55 Gallons

The inhabitants of my tank are:
Clownfish pair (I think onyx, not sure.)
Coral Beauty
Tailspot Blenny
Diamond Goby
Large Anthelia Coral
1 Large Toadstool Leather and 2 Smaller Toadstool Leather Corals (They fragged off of the big one.)
Zoanthid Coral
Frogspawn Coral
Mushroom Coral
Elegance Coral (It's Australian :))
4 or 5 RBTA's
Numerous (I think they're called button-eye anemones) pest anemones
2 unknown species hermit crabs
And finally, a Nassarius Snail

Thanks again,
SubsonicMilk0

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve moved fish in a half filled bag lined cooler. Trap some air in the bag before closing the lid. Otherwise I ran. battery operated air pump, the new ones are usb charged. Maybe take a few small circulation pumps for when you stop

OP
OP
S

SubsonicMilk0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve moved fish in a half filled bag lined cooler. Trap some air in the bag before closing the lid. Otherwise I ran. battery operated air pump, the new ones are usb charged. Maybe take a few small circulation pumps for when you stop
Thanks for the advice! I honestly didn't expect a response this quickly, so that's great!

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 4.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 103 80.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.7%
Back