HELP. Need ice cap controller

themcnertney

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello. I have two ice cap gyre pumps and controller. Today during a water change I kick the controller into my sump. Quick google search says they don’t make them anymore. I haven’t plugged it in to see if it works.

image.jpg

_AV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't plug it in. Don't use rice or any other nonsense being recommended out there.

I repair these, so I know. Instead: ASAP get a bottle of 95-99% isopropyl alcohol (at any pharmacy). Read the label, they also often sell 75% alcohol or some green liquid that has additives in it but still labeled as isopropyl alcohol. Avoid those. Pour into a shallow plastic container and place the controller, open like you have in the picture into the container completely submerging the board. Soak for a few minutes, then move the controller inside quickly and vigorously. The alcohol will displace the salt water. Then just take it out and let it dry. IPA will evaporate quickly leaving a nice clean board.
Let the board sit dry for a day to make sure all alcohol evaporated inside.

Do this fast before corrosion started setting in and you should be good.

In my repairs I do this with a special cleaning solution in a professional ultrasonic cleaner. But my repair cases are also usually much worse than this.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The IceCap controller was replaced with the WaveEngine LE. The new ICeCaps come with that controller now. Here is a link to the WE LE https://www.coralvue.com/hydros-waveengine-le-pump-controller. You would also need to get the appropriate adapter cable for the particular pump or pumps you have. They also have a WaveEngine v2 that has 4 direct drive ports on it and 4 0-10v outputs. It can also function as a wifi master which the WE LE cannot.

Montiman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know money is tight but I would likely use this as an excuse to get the full-size wave engine and control all 4 pumps from 1 controller.

OP
OP
themcnertney

themcnertney

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water poured from the controller. it’s shot. Also I tried turning it on. Blew with compressed air and no dice.
For me at this particular moment, getting a new controller will work for me. The link posted above for the new version, would that work for my pumps?
Should I call coral Vue direct?

Montiman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will work with the right adapters you just need to know your gyre model and buy the right adapter.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I contacted coral Vue support. Will keep updated once I hear something.
Here is a list of compatible pumps https://www.coralvuehydros.com/is-my-pump-compatible/ . The WE LE only has the direct ports so it would have to be in that column to work. With the WEv2 you can control if they have a 0-10v input on their controller and also the MP series that can be downgraded if you can find a compatible RF module and install in in the WEv2. I got luckyI had MP10's that are old enough and I also had the ReefLink I could take the RF module out of and install in the WEv2. So my WE controls my MP10's.

OP
OP
themcnertney

themcnertney

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was looking at the available controls they have. The XS controller is probably what I’ll go with. As mentioned I’ll need the adapters too.
Btw. Dosed with isopropyl alcohol and am letting dry. Why not.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was looking at the available controls they have. The XS controller is probably what I’ll go with. As mentioned I’ll need the adapters too.
Btw. Dosed with isopropyl alcohol and am letting dry. Why not.
The XS will not control the pumps you have. It does not have any direct drive ports. Those are only on the Wave Engine controllers. You do not need another controller with the Wave Engine unless you want to control non pump type devices also.

OP
OP
themcnertney

themcnertney

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a small return pump laying around. Hooked that up to agitate the surface of the water. Shouldn’t have an issue with fish and coral. I try to always have some backup plan even if not ideal.

alain Bouchard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
turn that off. you have lot of minerals on it. take a brand new tooth brush and alcool. brush vigorously, then rince with alcool. let dry. be sure there are no more residues on the board, otherwise, repeat process. done this kind of work for years as an electronic technician. your lucky if you havent burnt anything by turning it on.

OP
OP
themcnertney

themcnertney

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I came across this. Its an interesting option as I can get a back up pump incase one of the two fail. The cost is cheaper then the WEV2 and the adapters I would need.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't plug it in. Don't use rice or any other nonsense being recommended out there.

I repair these, so I know. Instead: ASAP get a bottle of 95-99% isopropyl alcohol (at any pharmacy). Read the label, they also often sell 75% alcohol or some green liquid that has additives in it but still labeled as isopropyl alcohol. Avoid those. Pour into a shallow plastic container and place the controller, open like you have in the picture into the container completely submerging the board. Soak for a few minutes, then move the controller inside quickly and vigorously. The alcohol will displace the salt water. Then just take it out and let it dry. IPA will evaporate quickly leaving a nice clean board.
Let the board sit dry for a day to make sure all alcohol evaporated inside.

Do this fast before corrosion started setting in and you should be good.

In my repairs I do this with a special cleaning solution in a professional ultrasonic cleaner. But my repair cases are also usually much worse than this.
This and only this. He's a pro with salt water corrosion & repairs.

OP
OP
themcnertney

themcnertney

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spoke with Coral Vue today through email. Shout out to Kevin. We came to the conclusion that this will work to get the pumps back up and running again...

1665691222029.png

OP
OP
themcnertney

themcnertney

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After spending most the day cleaning and cleaning some more. I seem to have got most if not all the residue that I can. After turning it back on, I can only get one pump to work like before. Suppose one is better than none till I get a new controller.

OP
OP
themcnertney

themcnertney

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spoke with Coral Vue today through email. Shout out to Kevin. We came to the conclusion that this will work to get the pumps back up and running again...

1665691222029.png

Placed the order a few days ago and got the controller and adapters yesterday. Got everything hooked up and all is good. Back and running.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 21 13.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 91 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.0%
Back