Help needed, catalaphyllia detaching

jchopkin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, it's been a while. I did a water change yesterday approx 15% and everything looked perfect until today when my partner sent me a photo of my prized catalaphyllia which appears to be detaching from the base, iv had this animal for around 12months and I feel like crying. As you can see in the photos the animal looks big and fully open just partly detached and I'm unsure why.

Does anyone have any ideas what it could be and what I can test for when I get home from work.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

received_1241141590071575.jpeg received_785202579372438.jpeg

Mark Novack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm curious about the base. Did you remove it and give it a sniff? That could be interior decay or even hydrogen sulphide build up from lack of flow at the base.

OP
OP
J

jchopkin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm curious about the base. Did you remove it and give it a sniff? That could be interior decay or even hydrogen sulphide build up from lack of flow at the base.
Hi Mark,

No it was detaching itself, when I picked it up to check it and move it to a lesser flow area of my tank it completely detached but looked perfectly healthy apart from being off the base/skeleton. Unfortunately iv had to remove it just incase it started to cause harm to the rest of my tank. I nearly cried as iv had it a year and everything's been fine but no I didn't smelly it but from what I've seen I think it's called polyp bailout but I'm unsure as to why as my parameters all seem OK

OP
OP
J

jchopkin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've tried that coral twice and had pretty much the same results both times with no explanation. I won't try one again. I have read of many people having similar experiences.
Honestly was so disheartening, it had grown so big and was my favourite coral, then suddenly goners

Mark Novack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its strange. It looked so healthy as is peeled away which is why I think that the problem was in the skeleton. I have never tried one because they are quite naughty with other specimens and need space.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly was so disheartening, it had grown so big and was my favourite coral, then suddenly goners
I feel for you. This hobby can be both rewarding and heartbreaking. The last one I had was probably 8 inches and was the center piece of the tank it was in. I don't know if its true or not but I have read that ones from Australia are supposed to be hardier than those sourced elsewhere. Maybe something to look into should you decide to attempt another.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, it's been a while. I did a water change yesterday approx 15% and everything looked perfect until today when my partner sent me a photo of my prized catalaphyllia which appears to be detaching from the base, iv had this animal for around 12months and I feel like crying. As you can see in the photos the animal looks big and fully open just partly detached and I'm unsure why.

Does anyone have any ideas what it could be and what I can test for when I get home from work.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

received_1241141590071575.jpeg received_785202579372438.jpeg
Some water quality issues I suspect.
But you didn't post them. If you can maybe we can help.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 51 56.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 27 29.7%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.7%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.3%
Back