HELP!!! NH3 raising!

Bwgrohs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need help! My ammonia Level Is high, sitting at 0.090, and raising. I have it on SENEYE and it was changed yesterday. I started with water changes (about a gallon every 12hrs, AWC), but it is continuing to raise. The tank is 70 gallon system with 55 gallon display. Currently it is sitting at just over a 4 month old tank. Live stock includes: 2 clown fish (small), 1 juvenile rabbit fish, 1 coral wrasse, 1 coral beauty, and 3 small yellow tail damsels. I only have one coral at this time (green star polyp). I am just starting to get corals, and this is my first test coral. I have raised sponges, and changed out my poly-filter. For filtration I am running a Protein skimmer, UV, Algae reactor, GFO and Carbon, Poly-filter (currently out of tank), Seachem Puragin (changed out yesterday), and a sponge filter. for dosing I am adding 25ml of Aquavitro Eight.four, 15 ml of calcium, and 5ml of phytoplankton (stop doing as soon as NH3 started t raise). For food I am giving them less then a gram of pellets/coral food a day and a rotation of Live brine shrimp, seaweed, and Rod's frozen one every other day. I have racked my brain trying to think of why I am having spike in ammonia. My levels are all with in rage, but I am still have an issue. Any suggestions?

OP
OP
Bwgrohs

Bwgrohs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need help! My ammonia Level Is high, sitting at 0.090, and raising. I have it on SENEYE and it was changed yesterday. I started with water changes (about a gallon every 12hrs, AWC), but it is continuing to raise. The tank is 70 gallon system with 55 gallon display. Currently it is sitting at just over a 4 month old tank. Live stock includes: 2 clown fish (small), 1 juvenile rabbit fish, 1 coral wrasse, 1 coral beauty, and 3 small yellow tail damsels. I only have one coral at this time (green star polyp). I am just starting to get corals, and this is my first test coral. I have raised sponges, and changed out my poly-filter. For filtration I am running a Protein skimmer, UV, Algae reactor, GFO and Carbon, Poly-filter (currently out of tank), Seachem Puragin (changed out yesterday), and a sponge filter. for dosing I am adding 25ml of Aquavitro Eight.four, 15 ml of calcium, and 5ml of phytoplankton (stop doing as soon as NH3 started t raise). For food I am giving them less then a gram of pellets/coral food a day and a rotation of Live brine shrimp, seaweed, and Rod's frozen one every other day. I have racked my brain trying to think of why I am having spike in ammonia. My levels are all with in rage, but I am still have an issue. Any suggestions?

Attachments

• IMG_1363.HEIC.pdf
    29 MB · Views: 79

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anything died recently in the system that could cause this maybe, or possible over feeding ?

OP
OP
Bwgrohs

Bwgrohs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anything died recently in the system that could cause this maybe, or possible over feeding ?
Nothing has dead that I know of. I did think that that would be the it too, but I have accounted all live stock. I do have some shrimp in the tank too. I have for sure seen two out of the four. I could be over feeding, but it doesn't seem like I'm feeding too much. they eat everything with in 5 mins of me dumping it in.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am 1000% certain this tank will not climb to lethal nh3 levels as it sits, post pics. 4 mos old + stocked is permanently controlled nh3 even if an overfeed occurs it will register as a peak and a trough not an upcurve, that does not happen in surface area mechanics. I bet it will be confirmed by tank pics that will show even fish distribution, not in distress, which actual free nh3 causes in a reef (can see it by pics, no tester needed)

cloudy water happens with nh3 noncontrol, lethality within 48 hours. You will know by tonite if your reef is crashing and expected dead by wednesday morning.

about that rising seneye: lets calibrate your kit. how often in your logs was nh3 running thousandths ppm vs hundredths as it is now

dont react to the reading, nothing is wrong with your tank. we're messing with a calibration issue/soaking of slides prep issue maybe but nh3 is controlled just fine in every display/ post pics

thanks for heads up C

*dont add ammonia rescue anything it clouds our results

the results are your tank will look perfect while a tester says its not, and I love seneye for sure lol.

curious about your thousands ppm vs hundreds ppm history for starters and your slide prep, I read they need pre soaking or something to make them work perfectly

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I might owe this man twenty bucks if the register hits tenths ppm, dang web bets. 9 more thousandths, no way bet still on
concerned> yes lol
calibrate the slides and prep them before I go broke on web bets

(seneye is the only meter we have to offset the granddaddy of microbiology measures in reefing/API ammonia which has everyone assuming filtration bac are weak and not predictable and dont follow cycle chart guidelines. when one or more seneye testers doesn't follow known biology rules, this is costly for people who rely on them to troubleshoot cycles. I once bet the whole internet nobody could show me a seneye running on a display tank looking normal as tenths ppm nh3. this is why I did not bet fifty/error reads)

the bet is there to show how rare pure truthful noncontrol of ammonia is in reefing, its always under control in a display.

Once we see if this tester shows tenths ppm (lethal ammonia when true) while 100% of the visual biology in the tank shows total nh3 control, then Ill alert my friend Dan who tried to warn me not all seneyes are perfect meters.

even if i lose a bet, in the end visual cycling biology still wins. A tank in true nh3 distress has such obvious symptoms, fast, that no tester is required to know the condition and any tester saying there's free ammonia in a happy tank is a wrong test kit. We have dead tangs left in tanks that rotten internally and didn't drive above thousands ppm. Can't wait to see tank pics

*all display tanks can handle overfeeds without dying or crashing, and animal loss. API put this doubt in us, and if two of ten thousand seneyes reinforce false doubt then thats a mighty good improvement from only two API testers that wouldnt

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bwgrohs

Bwgrohs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am 1000% certain this tank will not climb to lethal nh3 levels as it sits, post pics. 4 mos old + stocked is permanently controlled nh3 even if an overfeed occurs it will register as a peak and a trough not an upcurve, that does not happen in surface area mechanics. I bet it will be confirmed by tank pics that will show even fish distribution, not in distress, which actual free nh3 causes in a reef (can see it by pics, no tester needed)

cloudy water happens with nh3 noncontrol, lethality within 48 hours. You will know by tonite if your reef is crashing and expected dead by wednesday morning.

about that rising seneye: lets calibrate your kit. how often in your logs was nh3 running thousandths ppm vs hundredths as it is now

dont react to the reading, nothing is wrong with your tank. we're messing with a calibration issue/soaking of slides prep issue maybe but nh3 is controlled just fine in every display/ post pics

thanks for heads up C

*dont add ammonia rescue anything it clouds our results

the results are your tank will look perfect while a tester says its not, and I love seneye for sure lol.

curious about your thousands ppm vs hundreds ppm history for starters and your slide prep, I read they need pre soaking or something to make them work perfectly
I did a two day presoak in the provide slide soaker. Yes, you are right about the fish not looking distressed (in fact, they want me to feed them more; which I won't). I will take a picture at lunch. 0.089 mg/l (ppm) vs. 9.18 ppb, I think is what your asking for. Not sure how to pull up a graph on the dashboard for ppb. If I figure it out I'll send a pic for that too. Thanks for the help!!

OP
OP
Bwgrohs

Bwgrohs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I might owe this man twenty bucks if the register hits tenths ppm, dang web bets. 9 more thousandths, no way bet still on
concerned> yes lol
calibrate the slides and prep them before I go broke on web bets

(seneye is the only meter we have to offset the granddaddy of microbiology measures in reefing/API ammonia which has everyone assuming filtration bac are weak and not predictable and dont follow cycle chart guidelines. when one or more seneye testers doesn't follow known biology rules, this is costly for people who rely on them to troubleshoot cycles. I once bet the whole internet nobody could show me a seneye running on a display tank looking normal as tenths ppm nh3. this is why I did not bet fifty/error reads)

the bet is there to show how rare pure truthful noncontrol of ammonia is in reefing, its always under control in a display.

Once we see if this tester shows tenths ppm (lethal ammonia when true) while 100% of the visual biology in the tank shows total nh3 control, then Ill alert my friend Dan who tried to warn me not all seneyes are perfect meters.

even if i lose a bet, in the end visual cycling biology still wins. A tank in true nh3 distress has such obvious symptoms, fast, that no tester is required to know the condition and any tester saying there's free ammonia in a happy tank is a wrong test kit. We have dead tangs left in tanks that rotten internally and didn't drive above thousands ppm. Can't wait to see tank pics

*all display tanks can handle overfeeds without dying or crashing, and animal loss. API put this doubt in us, and if two of ten thousand seneyes reinforce false doubt then thats a mighty good improvement from only two API testers that wouldnt
This a picture from the live stream a few mins ago. I'll get a front view in a bit.
IMG_C3B6C34F182E-1.jpeg
IMG_1367.jpg

Last edited:

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seneye is unique among companies in that they respond to tech emails. Send this thread to them, see if they agree this tank is running nine hundredths ppm, I bet they won’t.

no reason for it to be out of spec whatsoever, several clues from that screen grab confirm total ammonia control.

seneye machines should run in thousandths ppm most of the time, hundredths as a rare spike not the daily average, or something is off they may need to do something with the machine. ammonia noncompliance is rare enough to bet on.

They w often respond to troubleshooting emails in two or three days, the actual president of the company responded to mine.

the absolute bottom line is that ammonia does not stick or hold above the normal conversion rates without marked consequence.

Ammonia either runs controlled and all spikes have a down trough, or it rises to lethal levels in two days and wipes the tank. If reefs converted nh3 at hundredths ppm then that’s the baseline the other seneye machines would show, they show thousandths ppm as the constant, after cycle completes.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bwgrohs

Bwgrohs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seneye is unique among companies in that they respond to tech emails. Send this thread to them, see if they agree this tank is running nine hundredths ppm, I bet they won’t.

no reason for it to be out of spec whatsoever, several clues from that screen grab confirm total ammonia control.

seneye machines should run in thousandths ppm most of the time, hundredths as a rare spike not the daily average, or something is off they may need to do something with the machine. ammonia noncompliance is rare enough to bet on.

They w often respond to troubleshooting emails in two or three days, the actual president of the company responded to mine.

the absolute bottom line is that ammonia does not stick or hold above the normal conversion rates without marked consequence.

Ammonia either runs controlled and all spikes have a down trough, or it rises to lethal levels in two days and wipes the tank. If reefs converted nh3 at hundredths ppm then that’s the baseline the other seneye machines would show, they show thousandths ppm as the constant, after cycle completes.
Thanks, I'll send them an email. Currently, you are correct that the levels have not gotten to hundredths of it is sticking in 0.095 range as of now. I have yet to get a consitant reading from my unit sense it was installed, but I might be doing something wrong too. Not the first time and not going to be the last time, either.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d like to have them look at the reading history agreed, part of selling the best readers possible is wrangling in the very few questionable setups back into compliance. The machine needed to read thousandths ppm mostly, did it used to run .oox ppm Nh3? Or always been hundredths?

Can’t wait to see their response updates, it would be neat to know if the reader is working for all bounty measures

if they say it’s working fine, when it hits .1 then I’ll be amazed but those fish won’t change and the water clarity won’t change and the tank will never look bad or under duress, comparative setups run in the thousandths

nothing is being added to raise even to .095 here

theres literally no reason for the changing levels rising today. If someone was dumping feed in continually then we’d see it accumulating in the live shots

I am 100% certain this aquarium is mis reading. No action no remedy needed, ammonia cannot drift out of spec in a 4 month old tank, it can’t occur.

if the actual seneye probe isn’t in the display move it there for a bit / brainstorming issues such as located in a sump or some small detail affecting read

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bwgrohs

Bwgrohs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d like to have them look at the reading history agreed, part of selling the best readers possible is wrangling in the very few questionable setups back into compliance. The machine needed to read thousandths ppm mostly, did it used to run .oox ppm Nh3? Or always been hundredths?

Can’t wait to see their response updates, it would be neat to know if the reader is working for all bounty measures

if they say it’s working fine, when it hits .1 then I’ll be amazed but those fish won’t change and the water clarity won’t change and the tank will never look bad or under duress, comparative setups run in the thousandths

nothing is being added to raise even to .095 here

theres literally no reason for the changing levels rising today. If someone was dumping feed in continually then we’d see it accumulating in the live shots

I am 100% certain this aquarium is mis reading. No action no remedy needed, ammonia cannot drift out of spec in a 4 month old tank, it can’t occur.
I thought the same thing! Thanks, for the advice. I'll let you know what they say.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really nice scape and arch, open swimming space, controlled bioloading this tank is fully balanced most certainly. It’s reading is in the thousandths, not the hundredths though why this tester won’t agree is tbd, can’t wait to see seneye review.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back