Help on Tunze ATO, potential sensor issue?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

czhao1009

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had the sensor replaced in 2022: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/t...tical-sensor-replacement.928382/post-10597843

The ATO started acting up again :(
I'm not sure what is the issue this time, since the symptom is slightly different.
Power on the controller, no pump self-test, "too high" light solid, beeping.

I attempted to clean the optical sensor yesterday and it was working, until today it had the same issue.

Any help is appreciated!

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This would mean the float is raised, affected by a magnet or possibly installed upside down, if you recently took the float apart, if the bobber is installed upside down, it reverses the switching direction. It can also mean the float is broken, but usually this would be visible as a break in the wire, it can also happen if it got unplugged inside.

OP
OP
C

czhao1009

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This would mean the float is raised, affected by a magnet or possibly installed upside down, if you recently took the float apart, if the bobber is installed upside down, it reverses the switching direction. It can also mean the float is broken, but usually this would be visible as a break in the wire, it can also happen if it got unplugged inside.
Thank you for the information!

What is the float?

And I have not touched it in a long time, only cleaned the sensor when the problem happened yesterday.

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are two sensors, the optic sensor and the float switch. It has a grey wire and is white, this is what controls the too high, it is an emergency override shutdown switch.

OP
OP
C

czhao1009

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are two sensors, the optic sensor and the float switch. It has a grey wire and is white, this is what controls the too high, it is an emergency override shutdown switch.
Okay thank you. Let me go check and also reference the manual to be sure I had them set up correctly.

OP
OP
C

czhao1009

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm an idiot, LOL

Somehow I had the float placed BELOW the optical sensor. I'm not sure why it was working before, maybe the float was stuck so it didn't properly trigger, but somehow now it does?

Any advantages of putting them on separate locations or together on one magnet? Mine is in one chamber on the back of an AIO so I might just put them together to save some space...

OP
OP
C

czhao1009

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I made sure to put the float above the optical sensor. The "too high" alarm issue is no longer happening now. However, even though the sensor is dry, i.e. water level not touching the sensor, the "level" light is solid and pump not being started.
I did try to clean the sensor one more time, still no dice... Water is not level but indicated to be "level" from the LED on controller :(

OP
OP
C

czhao1009

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A pic of what you've got going on may be helpful.
Hmm, i'm not sure how so? But I will grab a picture later today when I get home.

Basically, the float is out of the question now (it's on a separate magnet and sits above the optical sensor), the optical sensor doesn't seem to detect that water level is low to turn on the pump.

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm, i'm not sure how so? But I will grab a picture later today when I get home.

Basically, the float is out of the question now (it's on a separate magnet and sits above the optical sensor), the optical sensor doesn't seem to detect that water level is low to turn on the pump.
oh yeah I guess I read that wrong thinking you still had the high acting up.

OP
OP
C

czhao1009

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the picture of how it's set up currently.
Float above optical sensor.
Power on, pump self test, but optical sensor does not seem to be able to detect low water level and would not auto top off.
1000008480.jpg

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, I only saw this manually checking the forums, I assumed this was resolved and since I did not check back in after a previous post, it quit sending me notices. If you are sure the optic sensor is shiny clean on all sides, then it most likely needs a new optic sensor.

OP
OP
C

czhao1009

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, I only saw this manually checking the forums, I assumed this was resolved and since I did not check back in after a previous post, it quit sending me notices. If you are sure the optic sensor is shiny clean on all sides, then it most likely needs a new optic sensor.
No problem, thanks for getting back to me.

I'm about 95% sure it's clean on all sides, but I will try again to clean it tonight.
Sensor was replaced in 2022 though :(

Anyhow, I will report back.

OP
OP
C

czhao1009

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No luck :(

Please advise on how to proceed with replacing the sensor. Thanks!

johnckirkart

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hijack . My optical sensor is bad on my 3155.i need a replacement asap .. will you give me a link so i can buy it please

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The sensor is only sold as an installed part, you send in the controller and we replace the sensor, it is $29.49. Return shipping is around $5.50 for 1st class mail, $9.00 for priority, this assumes you only send part 5017.000, controller and sensors, no magnets, this includes the magnet the sensors are mounted on, no other parts, adding any other parts will greatly increase shipping costs due to size and weight. It is only availble installed as pre 2019 units require a resistor is replaced on the board and in all cases the controller must be recalibrated to the new sensor, in some cases, calibration is the only issue. Send with a note including return and contact info-

Tunze USA
2121 Cole Springs Rd
Buda TX 78610

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
czhao,

Please include on the note it was replaced previously, if this was a paid repair in 2022, any replacement would be warranty and we will need to check why it failed again so soon.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 30 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 111 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back