Help! Phosphates won’t go down!

iwnltom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is 350 litre and about a year old. I’ve never had problems with phosphates in the past, but as of recently in the last month they just won’t seem to go down. I bought a TDS meter for my RODI and it’s at 0, and even then I switched them all out to be sure. I’m dosing rowa in a reactor and use a good amount, I’m switching it every week but it won’t go below .1 ppm. Idk why this is happening, and I’m going through ROWA like there is no tmr. My tank looks very healthy and I have no signs of algae, my nitrates are at 1, my other parameters are all good. Not sure what to do from here.

72211805398__0C27A23F-178D-4E1D-BCEE-CEDCF8D8D99E.jpeg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What test kit are you using? :)

Remember; phosphate goes up for a reason! Excess nutrients in your tank comes from what you add, it doesn't just appear out of the blue!

If you're struggling with high phosphates, you either need to adjust on your input of nutrition or up your filtration accordingly. The easiest way is to address it at the source.

Also; remember that excess use of Rowaphos will raise your iron levels somewhat so keep that in mind!

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t see .1ppm of phosphate as excessive high, I do see 1ppm of nitrate as TOO low.

It would be difficult to have too much iron in a marine tank.

“My tank looks very healthy and I have no signs of algae, my nitrates are at 1, my other parameters are all good. Not sure what to do from here.“

Instead of chasing numbers, trust the bioindicators in your tank.

Keep up the progress, your tank looks very nice.

Last edited:

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why are you chasing a phosphate phantom when your tank looks fine? As others have said .1 is fine. In my old tank I tried to keep around .05 to .1 p hosphates and my nitrates were around 20ppm.

My current tank runs around 14 nitrates and not really detectable phosphates to like .02.

I think you are good at .1 but sounds like test kit is bad since you are running gfo with no change. Be careful before you actually cause a problem with your chasing

Nitrates are low at 1ppm. I agree. Keep an eye on them and just make sure they don't drop out on you which can cause major issues. I b would get some new test kits and test everything

Nano_Man

Anemone L
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi your corals look happy every tank runs different. I only test if I see a problem if everything looks happy don’t change it there happy. Regular water changes and that’s it for me . Keep a eye on your nitrate and phosphate don’t bottom out because that will give you a problem. Your phosphate reading if everything looks good I would be happy with that in my own tank and I would have nitrate 10 to 20

Seansea

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya .1 is not a big deal. Mine right now is .25 down from .6. Everything looks happy so im not worried.

I dont bother with gfo anymore. When i would add it to my tank the corals would react negatve. I switched to lanthunum and its way better imo. I use tropic marin ephos and when it gets to a number i just cant live with i give it dose in my sump before the filter socks and skimmer. I half dose it over a couple weeks and see no negative effects. Brings phos right down.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank looks good. I say roll with it.
My oldest tank (8yo) had po4 0.5 last week when I tested. Everything is thriving so I just plug away. I have 3 tanks running and it seems like each one eventually settles in with parameters different for each. In addition to the tank above one had po4 of 0.1 and another 0.04. If anything the tank with po4 of 0.5 looks better than the others but it is an older tank and I'm of the belief that maturity helps with stability and stability leads to a nice happy tank but only if the tanks are allowed to mature with the least amount of intervention from me. I will dose no3 and po4 in one tank if it gets too low but rarely have I had to take action because levels are too high.

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would consider.1 phosphates in the normal range. My tank has been running over two years with nitrates about 15 and phosphates.1. Sometimes higher but never lower. As stated before, I would be more concerned or at least monitoring closely, your nitrates. If I tested and my nitrates were that low I would have a panic attack.

OP
OP
iwnltom

iwnltom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why are you chasing a phosphate phantom when your tank looks fine? As others have said .1 is fine. In my old tank I tried to keep around .05 to .1 p hosphates and my nitrates were around 20ppm.

My current tank runs around 14 nitrates and not really detectable phosphates to like .02.

I think you are good at .1 but sounds like test kit is bad since you are running gfo with no change. Be careful before you actually cause a problem with your chasing

Nitrates are low at 1ppm. I agree. Keep an eye on them and just make sure they don't drop out on you which can cause major issues. I b would get some new test kits and test everything
They are running at 8.2 no, much better. My skimmer is broken tho, ****** Red Sea, every water change just stops it from working

OP
OP
iwnltom

iwnltom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would consider.1 phosphates in the normal range. My tank has been running over two years with nitrates about 15 and phosphates.1. Sometimes higher but never lower. As stated before, I would be more concerned or at least monitoring closely, your nitrates. If I tested and my nitrates were that low I would have a panic attack.
Yeah they r running at 8.6 now everytbjng good, probably because my skimmer is busted

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 124 81.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.9%
Back