Help Planning Fish - Red Sea Max e-170 (45gal)

ethankap

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question @ethankap with the random flow generator attachment on the Red Sea sitting below the waterline does this cause a vacuum siphon in the event of a pump failure? Did you have to lower the water level in your Sunoco to account for this overflow possibility? What was the total impact? What do you use for a wave generator?

I have an anti siphon flapper thingy in front of the pump so don’t worry much about that. I’ll do a power off test.

I did adjust flow rate of the circulation pump as it was a bit much with the power head as well. I also added LED strip tape around the door frame tonight. Still need to work on power though. I ran out of plugs on the power center.

ethankap

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @ZachR32

I’ve heard clowns early because they are hardy in the past but I’m getting more of a sense that clowns are better later after a tank is well established based on aggression and stability for an anemone. Any thoughts on the best anemone with a Clown?

Yea, clown will be required. Daughter is already having issue with the fact that the tank will not be large enough for “Dory”

I did clowns without a nem as I was told nems need a more mature tank. The clowns host various things in the tank including the torch coral. I’ll add a nem soon though.

ChrisRD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You've already gotten a lot of good advice...I agree that you should cut the stocking list way down for a tank this size...and definitely wait on an anemone until you have more experience. Clowns don't need an anemone to thrive...particularly captive bred fish (recommended). Your best bet would be to stick to a pair of captive bred Ocellaris or Percula...avoid Clarkii in a small community tank as they get large and bossy. I also second the advice to avoid most damsels and dottybacks for the same reason (although some Chrysiptera sp. can be fairly well behaved).

ZachR32

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @ZachR32

I’ve heard clowns early because they are hardy in the past but I’m getting more of a sense that clowns are better later after a tank is well established based on aggression and stability for an anemone. Any thoughts on the best anemone with a Clown?

Yea, clown will be required. Daughter is already having issue with the fact that the tank will not be large enough for “Dory”

I would be patient with getting an anemone. They can be difficult buggers. If you want to do one down the road, I would practice your husbandry skills with soft corals first, and then some LPS. If you have success there then I would consider an anemone. At that point, most people would recommend bubble tip anemones. Almost all clowns will readily accept them, some encouragement required for certain individuals.
But, just be patient above all else. It might not be as pleasing of a tank in the beginning, but it will be worth it down the road to take it slow and master the basics.

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With fish, go to a site like liveaquaria. Look for fish for nano aquaria. I would also suggest that you get fish that are EASY but moderate can be fine too. Also fish that are peaceful should be favored. Like others, I would avoid dottybacks and damsels as being too aggressive. Finally, if you have any aspirations for corals get only fish that are reef safe. Another caveat, having multiples of the same species or similar fish is often asking for aggression.

ethankap

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's the refugium all finished with a Kessil A80 Flora light.
IMG_0404.jpg

OP
OP
D

Daniel Vickery

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ethankap The ATO converted to a Fuge looks great. How many GPH are you moving through the Fuge? What are you doing now for your ATO?

Are you putting any rock or and in the sump?

ethankap

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ethankap The ATO converted to a Fuge looks great. How many GPH are you moving through the Fuge? What are you doing now for your ATO?

Are you putting any rock or and in the sump?

I have an Cobalt MJ600 on the refugium which gives a nice flow through the down spout and isn't super aggressive. About 160 GPH, so that's about 120 turns of water in an hour. The chaeto doesn't tumble but gets good flow, and the pods are multiplying nicely in there. The chaeto has grown impressively in the week I've had it too, nearly double.

ATO I have an AutoAqua smart ATO: https://www.marinedepot.com/AutoAqu...Top_Off_Units-AutoAqua-CV12118-FIDPAT-vi.html

Still trying to dial in water levels, as the flow valve from Red Sea has a tendency to drift.

OP
OP
D

Daniel Vickery

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so first thanks everyone for your help with planning fishbin my Red Sea Max e-170. I think I’ve got it narrowed down now for the tank:

1. Dottyback - Orchid
2. Cardinal Fish - Banggai
3. Damselfish - some type of clown tbd mated pair
4. Goby - Yellow Watchman
5. Wrasse - Flasher or Sixline

Any thoughts? Compatibility issues? Recommendations for the best clown or Wrasse?

Thanks everyone for sharing your knowledge!

Daniel

ethankap

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so first thanks everyone for your help with planning fishbin my Red Sea Max e-170. I think I’ve got it narrowed down now for the tank:

1. Dottyback - Orchid
2. Cardinal Fish - Banggai
3. Damselfish - some type of clown tbd mated pair
4. Goby - Yellow Watchman
5. Wrasse - Flasher or Sixline

Any thoughts? Compatibility issues? Recommendations for the best clown or Wrasse?

Thanks everyone for sharing your knowledge!

Daniel

I like my six line. I added a hawk fish and there seems to be some issues with him and the goby, who's taken to hiding more than usual. Hoping this goby gets over it, and also starts sand sifting.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 102 86.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back