Help Planning Fish - Red Sea Max e-170 (45gal)

Discussion in 'New to Saltwater & Reef Aquariums? Post Here' started by Daniel Vickery, Dec 3, 2017.

1. ethankap

ethankap Well-Known Member

I have an anti siphon flapper thingy in front of the pump so don’t worry much about that. I’ll do a power off test.

I did adjust flow rate of the circulation pump as it was a bit much with the power head as well. I also added LED strip tape around the door frame tonight. Still need to work on power though. I ran out of plugs on the power center.

2. ethankap

I did clowns without a nem as I was told nems need a more mature tank. The clowns host various things in the tank including the torch coral. I’ll add a nem soon though.

3. ChrisRD

ChrisRD Active Member

You've already gotten a lot of good advice...I agree that you should cut the stocking list way down for a tank this size...and definitely wait on an anemone until you have more experience. Clowns don't need an anemone to thrive...particularly captive bred fish (recommended). Your best bet would be to stick to a pair of captive bred Ocellaris or Percula...avoid Clarkii in a small community tank as they get large and bossy. I also second the advice to avoid most damsels and dottybacks for the same reason (although some Chrysiptera sp. can be fairly well behaved).

4. ZachR32

ZachR32 Member

I would be patient with getting an anemone. They can be difficult buggers. If you want to do one down the road, I would practice your husbandry skills with soft corals first, and then some LPS. If you have success there then I would consider an anemone. At that point, most people would recommend bubble tip anemones. Almost all clowns will readily accept them, some encouragement required for certain individuals.
    But, just be patient above all else. It might not be as pleasing of a tank in the beginning, but it will be worth it down the road to take it slow and master the basics.

5. PatW

PatW Well-Known Member

With fish, go to a site like liveaquaria. Look for fish for nano aquaria. I would also suggest that you get fish that are EASY but moderate can be fine too. Also fish that are peaceful should be favored. Like others, I would avoid dottybacks and damsels as being too aggressive. Finally, if you have any aspirations for corals get only fish that are reef safe. Another caveat, having multiples of the same species or similar fish is often asking for aggression.

6. ethankap

7. ethankap

Here's the refugium all finished with a Kessil A80 Flora light.
    IMG_0404.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted