Help please, dying child here.

Jdogg266

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got this baby black and white spotted maxima clam two days ago. I have been preparing for this child for quite some time now. I got adversed in the practice of phytoplankton farming, even pods too. Just for the occasion. It seems to be struggling to protrude it’s mantle. Is this pinched mantle syndrome? Is it just sickly from having the equivalent of its neck snapped a couple weeks ago?
FB9F163E-F57F-4768-A2DA-B0D3DE15F395.jpeg

Also thoughts on aqua cultured clams? Are they hardier?

and rate my clam rock 1-10

PicassoClown04

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay regardless of other stuff, that clam ain’t doin well. Did you check for snails? Has it attached to your rock? What kind of par/flow is it getting? No fish picking on it right? A healthy clam should attach in the first 24 hours maximum time. Gonna need some details to help but that clam is definitely in some trouble

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Wow. . . sounded like a police matter or urgency with title. . . Perhaps use clam as it will be addressed for you.

You have a dino issue which must be addressed in the interest of the clam. One of the most important factors for a clam is water quality which this is far from. Im going to tell you how to beat these dinos BUT. .. you must remove clam to another tank, someone elses tank or even LFS temporarily.

Prepare for a water change and blow this stuff loose with a turkey baster and siphon up loose particles.
Turn lights off for 5 days and st night dose 1ml of hydrogen peroxide per 10 gallons for all 5 nights
During the day dose 1ml of liquid bacteria per 10 gallons.
Clean filters daily and DO NOT FEED CORAL FOODS OR ADD NOPOX as it is food for dinos.
Day 5,, you can start with blue lights and work your white lights up slowly

Again, I think Title scared a few people. . . . be selective /constructive in the title for best response

One dino is gone, do a good water change and assure the following is met for the clam's health:

Salinity not to exceed 1.026
alk not to exceed 9
Mag not to exceed 1300
Temp not to exceed 80 degrees
Phytoplankton for food source
moderate water flow
Good lighting
Inspect daily for any tulip looking snails which are pyramids and snail killers

OP
OP
Jdogg266

Jdogg266

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay regardless of other stuff, that clam ain’t doin well. Did you check for snails? Has it attached to your rock? What kind of par/flow is it getting? No fish picking on it right? A healthy clam should attach in the first 24 hours maximum time. Gonna need some details to help but that clam is definitely in some trouble
It has attached to the rock. I did check for snails, I’ve had a squamosa for awhile and am sure no snails are in my tank right now. I put it along with the rock in a little bucket of phyto every other day. I can see that it eats the phyto cuz the water turns clear after 20 mins. It’s getting A pretty low amount of flow. I have an acro growing about a foot away from it in the same depth. I think it’s around 250 par.

PicassoClown04

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has attached to the rock. I did check for snails, I’ve had a squamosa for awhile and am sure no snails are in my tank right now. I put it along with the rock in a little bucket of phyto every other day. I can see that it eats the phyto cuz the water turns clear after 20 mins. It’s getting A pretty low amount of flow. I have an acro growing about a foot away from it in the same depth. I think it’s around 250 par.
Alright that’s all sounding good, I’m gonna chalk it up to your Dino’s at this point. The little clams are especially intolerant of water imperfections I really do suggest doin what vetteguy said because if this keeps up then that clam is a goner :(.

PS. I do agree with everyone about the title. Maybe ‘baby clam in trouble’ would be more appropriate :)

OP
OP
Jdogg266

Jdogg266

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow. . . sounded like a police matter or urgency with title. . . Perhaps use clam as it will be addressed for you.

You have a dino issue which must be addressed in the interest of the clam. One of the most important factors for a clam is water quality which this is far from. Im going to tell you how to beat these dinos BUT. .. you must remove clam to another tank, someone elses tank or even LFS temporarily.

Prepare for a water change and blow this stuff loose with a turkey baster and siphon up loose particles.
Turn lights off for 5 days and st night dose 1ml of hydrogen peroxide per 10 gallons for all 5 nights
During the day dose 1ml of liquid bacteria per 10 gallons.
Clean filters daily and DO NOT FEED CORAL FOODS OR ADD NOPOX as it is food for dinos.
Day 5,, you can start with blue lights and work your white lights up slowly

Again, I think Title scared a few people. . . . be selective /constructive in the title for best response

One dino is gone, do a good water change and assure the following is met for the clam's health:

Salinity not to exceed 1.026
alk not to exceed 9
Mag not to exceed 1300
Temp not to exceed 80 degrees
Phytoplankton for food source
moderate water flow
Good lighting
Inspect daily for any tulip looking snails which are pyramids and snail killers
I’ve actually almost beat the Dino’s. About a month ago it was completely covering my tank. Got UV, cheato reactor, and not letting my parameters bottom out. Not worried about it...

PicassoClown04

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve actually almost beat the Dino’s. About a month ago it was completely covering my tank. Got UV, cheato reactor, and not letting my parameters bottom out. Not worried about it...
Well it’s good that the Dino’s are going away but less than before still looks like a lot in general. I’d remove the clam until they’ve been eradicated then put it back in. That clam is really struggling and I’m sure putting all that food in for it isn’t helping your dinos

OP
OP
Jdogg266

Jdogg266

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright that’s all sounding good, I’m gonna chalk it up to your Dino’s at this point. The little clams are especially intolerant of water imperfections I really do suggest doin what vetteguy said because if this keeps up then that clam is a goner :(.

PS. I do agree with everyone about the title. Maybe ‘baby clam in trouble’ would be more appropriate :)
Alright, thanks for your input. I’m gonna move it to a Dino free biocube. Still interested to hear if you think it’s pinched mantle..?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Alright, thanks for your input. I’m gonna move it to a Dino free biocube. Still interested to hear if you think it’s pinched mantle..?
Angry clam and dont let it get too mad as they will quickly go south

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The mantle is not "pinched" It just poorly extended. The clam is not doing well (duh) from whatever cause. Unless you correct it, it will likely die in the near future.. Recheck for parasitic snails. Check and make sure the water is stable, low nutrients and high Ca and Alkalinity, and stable in term of salinity, temperature. Perhaps large water change to remove any low level of microscopic toxins, or replace needed trace elements.

OP
OP
Jdogg266

Jdogg266

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The mantle is not "pinched" It just poorly extended. The clam is not doing well (duh) from whatever cause. Unless you correct it, it will likely die in the near future.. Recheck for parasitic snails. Check and make sure the water is stable, low nutrients and high Ca and Alkalinity, and stable in term of salinity, temperature. Perhaps large water change to remove any low level of microscopic toxins, or replace needed trace elements.
Thanks for the closure on it not being pinched mantle. I really wasn't sure myself. I have checked again for parasitic snails. I'm all good. My nitrates are 5ppm and unfortunately, I don't have a phosphate test kit at the moment. LFS I work at doesn't even have any test kits. Cheato in my cheato reactor is looking healthy though so I am gonna hope it's low. I was definitely too cocky buying this guy as it was like this in the shop. The owner said they got cold in the bag and they just got in. No one to blame but my self rn. Still optimistic.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it doing better after 1 week? If it is, great. It maybe thermal shock/injured with shipping. If this is the case it may/should be recovering. Does it have new growths on the shell?
before buying a clam in person I must see the mantel extended well AND evidences of new growth. I will not buy a clam from the LFS unless it have both of these.
Good luck.
Thanks for the closure on it not being pinched mantle. I really wasn't sure myself. I have checked again for parasitic snails. I'm all good. My nitrates are 5ppm and unfortunately, I don't have a phosphate test kit at the moment. LFS I work at doesn't even have any test kits. Cheato in my cheato reactor is looking healthy though so I am gonna hope it's low. I was definitely too cocky buying this guy as it was like this in the shop. The owner said they got cold in the bag and they just got in. No one to blame but my self rn. Still optimistic.

PicassoClown04

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
many places will let you put something on hold, especially if you’re a regular and if you come in a lot. I think the best option here would’ve been to put it on hold, then come back every couple days to see if it looked better. I will not buy a clam that has any defects in the mantle, doesn’t have new growth on the shell, or reacts sluggishly to light. If any of those big three are even the tiniest bit debatable on wether it’s fine, I put it on hold and revisit in a couple days to see if the clam has improved. Not really helpful for this clam, but if you ever decide to buy another definitely follow this protocol.

is the maxima doing any better? It looked really pretty from the mantle that I could see, black and white maximas are pretty expensive in my area as well so I hope this little guy is pulling through okay

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 51 76.1%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 9.0%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 5 7.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 3.0%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.5%
Back