Derasa clam gaping?

Kuhn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! I'm a new clam dad and I recently picked up this Derasa clam about 3 days ago.
I love this thing to pieces but I noticed its Incurrent Siphon has been gaping the past two days... I've been watching it like a hawk to make sure it didn't show any other signs of unhappiness but I can't really tell...

I am aware that they require lots of light. Tbh I think I may need to upgrade my lighting fixtures as I'm wondering that is the reason why its gaping.

My clam seems to react to light, it closes quickly.
Its mantle seems to be fully exposed. I'm not entirely sure if this is good or not as I've heard mixed things about a clam with an extended mantle. Possibly trying to get more light because its not receiving enough.

My Derasa is about 4.5 to 5 inches.
I have made sure to give it at least 3 hours to drip acclimate before adding to my aquarium.
I have dosed small amounts of phyto and zooplankton.
I have resisted to move it too much. I am aware that this species prefers a sand substrate so I refrained from moving it to the rocks.

My parameters are the following:

Total water vol: 209 gallons.
Temp: 79 F
Salinity: 36.9 ppt
pH: 8.2
Nitrate: 41.4 ppm (high I know)
Phosphate: 0.04
Calcium: 577 ppm
Alk: 10 dKH

Could not get magnesium as my tester socks.
I also need more reagent for Ammonia.

These are what im suspecting:

-High nitrates
-High salinity
-Trying to adjust to a new environment
Or
-low lighting

Do you all think the reason could be the high nitrates?? I have a protein skimmer working at all times. I'm not sure how else to lower nitrates other than water changes. Which I have been doing.... any ideas How to lower this?

Could it be because of the high salinity? I have been slowly adding fresh RODI water. I don't want to drop salinity too fast cause I know clams need stability. Trying to get back to the ideal 35 ppt.

Is it possibly just trying to adjust to its new environment? Again I just got it 3 days ago. I tried my best to give it a lot of time yo drip acclimate too. I'm just so worried cause I know a gaping siphon can be bad news...

Then there's the possibility that my lights just aren't strong enough. I know all clams demand light. But I have also found Derasa are not AS demanding as say a Maxima clam.
If this is the case. I could lower my lights a bit but they aren't fancy lights either so I might eve have to upgrade to a stronger light.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated!!

Thank you in advance! Sorry for the long post!

20230103_171102.jpg

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 18 25.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 31.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.9%
Back