Help Please! Reef Octopus Skimmer Identification!

MrPiGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! I received this skimmer from an acquaintance and it looks rather old. However, since it was free I’d like to see if I can use it. I’ve noticed it is missing some pieces. I haven’t taken the time to clean it yet either. I just want to know what model it is so I can see if I can run it on my 75 gallon tank. I’ll buy a gate valve and air silencer/tube for it if it will work. A little background, it was used for a 180 gallon tank (that’s really all I know) I don’t have a lot of experience with them and I’m having some trouble ID’ing it. Thanks in advanced.

image.jpg image.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Looks like classic 150int

Upvote 0
OP
OP
MrPiGuy

MrPiGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe it to be completely ancient after I stumbled upon something. Octopus 200 NW Protein Skimmer is my new opinion.

if this is the case I think I might just try to get rid of it. It would be a monster on my tank and I honestly don’t know where I’d even buy the parts.

Upvote 0

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Other than the cover for the pump it looks to be all there to me. I have a slightly older version of this one and it is a beast of a skimmer. I actually used it within the last few years and only quit using it because I didn’t modify the stand pipe and it splashes water everywhere.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
MrPiGuy

MrPiGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Other than the cover for the pump it looks to be all there to me. I have a slightly older version of this one and it is a beast of a skimmer. I actually used it within the last few years and only quit using it because I didn’t modify the stand pipe and it splashes water everywhere.
I don’t know too much about this model (I’m sure it’s obvious). The line for air is not there. Unless I’m missing something? Where would it even attach on to? The pump itself is incased in a plastic shell. Only piece I’m even able to take off is the grey intake (I’m assuming that’s what it’s called anyways)

Upvote 0

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The airline should just attach to the nipple sticking off the front of the pump. If it’s like mine it included a silencer but it wasn’t attached to the skimmer, and should work just fine without it.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
MrPiGuy

MrPiGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The airline should just attach to the nipple sticking off the front of the pump. If it’s like mine it included a silencer but it wasn’t attached to the skimmer, and should work just fine without it.
Super helpful. Thank you. I think I would just find a couple 90 degree elbows I can throw on it to help with “splashing water”. Have you ever put a gate valve on it to help fine tune it as well? Not even sure if that’s possible with this model. Finding a hose for intake would be easy enough. I will just run it in a vinegar solution to clean it out on the inside. Other than that, my only worry is that I can’t see that it is adjustable. Would it work on a 75 DT and 40 sump?

Upvote 0

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Super helpful. Thank you. I think I would just find a couple 90 degree elbows I can throw on it to help with “splashing water”. Have you ever put a gate valve on it to help fine tune it as well? Not even sure if that’s possible with this model. Finding a hose for intake would be easy enough. I will just run it in a vinegar solution to clean it out on the inside. Other than that, my only worry is that I can’t see that it is adjustable. Would it work on a 75 DT and 40 sump?
About 15 years ago I ran mine on a 75 and remember it working well. The only adjustment is sliding the stand pipe up and down to change the water level in the skimmer. I looked into doing the gate valve mod but from what I’d read it uses metric sized plumbing and it’s a pain to find the adapter to convert to standard sizes. I ended up giving up on it after it overflowed and drenched my stand and ruined some of my electronics that were near the sump.
This is making me want to get it out of the garage and see if I can get it converted to standard pvc to add a gate valve and try using it again.
I also have never been able to find the exact model of mine but it had to be one of the first, if not the first, model made by reef octopus.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
MrPiGuy

MrPiGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About 15 years ago I ran mine on a 75 and remember it working well. The only adjustment is sliding the stand pipe up and down to change the water level in the skimmer. I looked into doing the gate valve mod but from what I’d read it uses metric sized plumbing and it’s a pain to find the adapter to convert to standard sizes. I ended up giving up on it after it overflowed and drenched my stand and ruined some of my electronics that were near the sump.
This is making me want to get it out of the garage and see if I can get it converted to standard pvc to add a gate valve and try using it again.
I also have never been able to find the exact model of mine but it had to be one of the first, if not the first, model made by reef octopus.
I can actually help you with that. BRS sells metric to standard pvc adapters. Here’s a link! Definitely helped me out here. Much appreciated!

Upvote 0

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can actually help you with that. BRS sells metric to standard pvc adapters. Here’s a link! Definitely helped me out here. Much appreciated!

I guess I should’ve looked into it more instead of trusting posts from a decade ago.

Upvote 0

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 68 35.1%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 49 25.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 62 32.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.1%
Back