Help Quarantining a Wrasse

kpoj9

Reefin’ Ain’t Eazy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need some advice on quarantining a pintail fairy wrasse. I just got him today. He’s in my QT with my royal gramma who I‘ve had for a week. The QT is a 20g bare bottom with 2 3” PVC pipes. I‘m not treating the the tank yet. I usually give my fish a week to acclimate. My last experience with a wrasse was a Lubbock Fairy Wrasse and it was not good. He died 5 days after getting him. I was told this wrasse does not need sand. Is there anything I need to do or add to the tank to decrease his stress? In my experience wrasse seem like very sensitive fish. I’ve heard they are sensitive to their reflection.

Qasimja

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so far im 1 for 2 for quarantining wrasses i got the blueside fairy wrasse into the display tank after a month of QT with copper and metroplex but the yellow coris didnt ship well and died 4 days after being in QT

DrMMI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I lost a carpenter's wrasse this morning in quarantine. He was doing ok until a few days ago when I dosed prazipro for flukes.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My pintail was fairly easy to QT. He does not need sand (Cirrhilabrus/fairy wrassse). I would not light the tank at all, just ambient room light. Be careful with prazipro as it is dissolved in alcohol and can lead to a bacterial bloom that depletes oxygen in the QT. I use General Cure for deworming/flukes instead. Wrasses are very prone to flukes so I treated all 14 of mine for them during QT with this.

OP
OP
kpoj9

kpoj9

Reefin’ Ain’t Eazy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My pintail was fairly easy to QT. He does not need sand (Cirrhilabrus/fairy wrassse). I would not light the tank at all, just ambient room light. Be careful with prazipro as it is dissolved in alcohol and can lead to a bacterial bloom that depletes oxygen in the QT. I use General Cure for deworming/flukes instead. Wrasses are very prone to flukes so I treated all 14 of mine for them during QT with this.
thanks for this info. I have general cure. How did they do with copper?

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for this info. I have general cure. How did they do with copper?

They all did well. I only used Copper Power and use a Hanna checker to determine my levels. I aim for 2.25 and get to that level over 5-7 days. I treat for 10-12 days and then transfer to a second sterile QT which is where I treat with GC...unless they show signs of problems with worms/flukes before that.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 22 31.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 56 80.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 11 15.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.0%
  • Other

Votes: 4 5.7%
Back