Help selecting equipment for my IM 100 EXT

SaltlifeHokie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After much thought and research I end up buying a IM 100 EXT last night with the labor day deal IM was running. It only comes with a sump and return pump. Can you guys help me with picking out the rest of the equipment as I am still fairly new and inexperienced although I have done saltwater tanks before. I have already got dry rock and live sand and the other essentials. I would love some advice on what to run in the sump (media, skimmer, fleece roller, chemipure?,carbon, gfo, reactores? etc). I need some help on the right light. I am going to start the tank out as a FOWLR and once it's established a little I am going to dip my toes into corals as I am very inexperienced. My last tanks were fish only tanks. I want a light that will allow me future growth to get into most basic corals. Ideas on the right powerheads, ATO, etc. Thanks for any helping on getting me started off on the right foot.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
After much thought and research I end up buying a IM 100 EXT last night with the labor day deal IM was running. It only comes with a sump and return pump. Can you guys help me with picking out the rest of the equipment as I am still fairly new and inexperienced although I have done saltwater tanks before. I have already got dry rock and live sand and the other essentials. I would love some advice on what to run in the sump (media, skimmer, fleece roller, chemipure?,carbon, gfo, reactores? etc). I need some help on the right light. I am going to start the tank out as a FOWLR and once it's established a little I am going to dip my toes into corals as I am very inexperienced. My last tanks were fish only tanks. I want a light that will allow me future growth to get into most basic corals. Ideas on the right powerheads, ATO, etc. Thanks for any helping on getting me started off on the right foot.
Some essential , not absolutes are:
Good test kits
Salt
Hydrometer or method for measuring salt ( I like Hanna digital)
Titanium heater
InkBird heater controller
Protein skimmer (can be added as tank becomes seeded)
RODI unit (use RODI water only - no tap)

Optional

ATO

OP
OP
SaltlifeHokie

SaltlifeHokie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some essential , not absolutes are:
Good test kits
Salt
Hydrometer or method for measuring salt ( I like Hanna digital)
Titanium heater
InkBird heater controller
Protein skimmer (can be added as tank becomes seeded)
RODI unit (use RODI water only - no tap)

Optional

ATO
I got most of that already as far as test kits, salt, hydrometer, 5 state RODI unit. Just really need some help with the equipment and guts. What do you recommend to run in the sump? A few years back I had 2 reactors in the sump that ran carbon and GFO. I think there was a block of biological filtration and a skimmer.

SPS2020

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think you will enjoy the IM 100 EXT! It's a great size...not too large and not too small. I've had mine for three years now and corals are finally starting to take off.

Check the sticky threads here for lots of information and answers to questions you are going to have.

I echo what @vetteguy53081 said. My preference for test kits are Hanna and Milwaukee for refractometer. I did not have good experiences with InkBird and prefer Ranco for a temp controller. However, everyone has their own opinions and there are lots of them here...which makes this site so fantastic!

SPS2020

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I got most of that already as far as test kits, salt, hydrometer, 5 state RODI unit. Just really need some help with the equipment and guts. What do you recommend to run in the sump? A few years back I had 2 reactors in the sump that ran carbon and GFO. I think there was a block of biological filtration and a skimmer.

You won't need to be concerned about GFO for a while, if at all (IME). BRS has good options for carbon reactors (and GFO if needed). I just run their carbon reactor.
Do some research on skimmers; lots of info on R2R. Everyone has an opinion. ;-)
My build thread may be of some help, but I am all Acropora so a little different than FOWLR.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
For sump- Skimmer, bio-media (dont concern yourself yet with GFO, however carbon - yes) and as pictured- this is typical setup for sump. Filter socks are optional which Ive used at least 12 years

1693927493443.png
1693927532530.png
1693927550581.png

OP
OP
SaltlifeHokie

SaltlifeHokie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really need some advice on lighting. I’m very new to corals and thinking I’ll have this tank mostly be some softies and very beginner type corals.

It’s a 100 gallon 48 inch long tank

2 AI Prime 16s?
2 Hydra 32s?
1 48inch Blade?
Kessils?

Thank you in advance for some advice!

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will be getting this tank next year when I restart after the move.
For lights take a look at NP K7 V3 if price is an issue. They grow coral well and I would have no problem running 4 on this system for full sps. You could start with 2 and add more when needed.
I will run 4 xr15 blues as I have them already.
Get a good skimmer and you will be good to go. I prefer Tunze skimmers but their are many good ones out their too. You can use carbon/gfo when needed in a nylon bag to start.
Get a good ato. I run Tunze.
Get 2 powerheads to start. I have had good success with Tunze and Jebao. I prefer the Jebao controller over the Tunze.
Decide what you are going to use to keep things stable. Running a 2 part like esv and dosing by hand will give you a good understanding of what your system is doing. You can add dosing pumps down the road.
Thats about as simple as it gets.
Also:
All parameters need a range and focus in keeping them in range will lead to success.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 14 34.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 39.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 8 19.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.4%

Back