Help! Something is eating my Acros!

Bebow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick setup here, been keeping fish for over 50 years, saltwater for 6. have a mixed reef 180 Gallon with 40 gallon sump and refugium. Tank has been set up for a month, rock was cycled for about 2 months. Been trough typical break in diatoms and some algae, things just turned around this week where the glass didn't need cleaning daily and algae was disappearing. Last week I added some new Acros which I ALWAYS dip first. They where doing well, holding color but not showing growth yet then yesterday I noticed the green one had receded quit a bit at the bottom but when I came home from work today I saw the strawberry Acro was almost bare of flesh! That coral was perfect yesterday! First pic is the green, 2nd is the strawberry. As I removed the Strawberry I held it to the glass and looked through a magnifying glass and saw a small critter moving up the coral. I dipped the corals in Coral RX then started exploring what was left behind in the bowl, sure enough at least 2 of the critters where there. Last picture is under an inexpensive Swift microscope using a Din 10, .25 lens taken with a compact Canon camera. Please help me ID this critter. Is it what is eating the coral and what are my options?
I have a six-line Wrasse is quarantine, he looks healthy and is eating well. I am considering putting him to work.
Thanks for the help!
IMG_0395.JPG
IMG_0394.JPG
acro critter.jpg

OP
OP
Bebow

Bebow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also found a bun
031817031817.jpg
ch of these in the bowl after dipping the corals

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thought it looked like a copepod but Ive never known a copepod to eat an Acropora! The dip bowl had about 10 of them in there so they where all over the coral

There are some that do, but finding one (or even a bunch) doesn't mean that's what is harming your coral. There are many beneficial ones that can be naturally found on surfaces.

OP
OP
Bebow

Bebow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should have posted these in the beginning Ph runs from 8.0 - 8.27 Alkatinity 9.7 Salinity 1.027 Ca 400 Mg 1170 No 2 Po4 .04 Over the last 2 weeks bee slowly bringing the Mg and Ca up.
The Strawerry looked healthy yesterday but I have not seen the polys extend so maybe the coral was dead and the flesh finally released, never sen that happen but....
That looks like a planarian.
Thanks Lionfish Lair!
I've been looking for a good picture reference but haven't found one yet.

Thor2j

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should have posted these in the beginning Ph runs from 8.0 - 8.27 Alkatinity 9.7 Salinity 1.027 Ca 400 Mg 1170 No 2 Po4 .04 Over the last 2 weeks bee slowly bringing the Mg and Ca up.
The Strawerry looked healthy yesterday but I have not seen the polys extend so maybe the coral was dead and the flesh finally released, never sen that happen but....

Thanks Lionfish Lair!
I've been looking for a good picture reference but haven't found one yet.
Don't think any of this is the cause but alkalinity is high with that calcium. Calcium should be about 430 with that high alkalinity. Seems more people are getting away from the high alkalinity nowadays. Also salinity is a little high as well as mg a little low.

Doubt any of this is the problem.

OP
OP
Bebow

Bebow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't think any of this is the cause but alkalinity is high with that calcium. Calcium should be about 430 with that high alkalinity. Seems more people are getting away from the high alkalinity nowadays. Also salinity is a little high as well as mg a little low.

Doubt any of this is the problem.

Thanks for input? New tank and setup, I had my 125 dialed in! On this tank I'm using an AVast kalk stirrer with topoff. It hasn't been putting out as expected but I'm still working on it.

terri_ann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Isopod? Nudibranch? Flatworm? Red Bug? Black Bug?

If the coral still has some tissue, consider fragging it. Cut just above where the tissue is surrounding the branch(es). Consider using Bayer as a dip. Try to get your params in balance as soon as possible.

Y&Y Corals

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe its not a pest and its slk swing or low alk that triggered the RTN from base

Brewman1987

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have any keyhole limpets? I just relocated 5 to my sump after seeing 2 eating flesh off an acro and milli.

OP
OP
Bebow

Bebow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe its not a pest and its slk swing or low alk that triggered the RTN from base
Alklinity has been pretty stable 8 and 9. I worked on the kalkstirrer, got it to where the effluent for topoff Ph is 11.7, not completely saturated but much better than it was. Also put a timer in so the topoff with kalk is off during the day to help stabilize the Ph. Alkalinity is now at 8.7, magnesium 1290, calcium 435.
I think the Acro that's bare has been dead for a while! Look I'm back I may have rushed the acclimation and shocked the corals. Dumb mistake!

OP
OP
Bebow

Bebow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have any keyhole limpets? I just relocated 5 to my sump after seeing 2 eating flesh off an acro and milli.
Yikes! I've never seen limpets eating the corals but I think the ones I had in the 125 weren't Keyhole. Haven't seen any limpets in this tank....yet.

OP
OP
Bebow

Bebow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Isopod? Nudibranch? Flatworm? Red Bug? Black Bug?

If the coral still has some tissue, consider fragging it. Cut just above where the tissue is surrounding the branch(es). Consider using Bayer as a dip. Try to get your params in balance as soon as possible.
The Aussie strawberry shortcake acro is history, nothing left. The green alien blood may be ok, moved it to a frag rack on the side of the tank where I can keep and eye on it. Still haven't seen it extend any polyps though.
The only thing in the bowl after I dipped them was copepods and planira. The number of copepods kinda shocked me! Microscopes are great but sometimes I think maybe I'm seeing more than I really need to...

terri_ann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also found a bun
031817031817.jpg
ch of these in the bowl after dipping the corals
Can't tell for sure but it may be a flatworms:(
Alklinity has been pretty stable 8 and 9. I worked on the kalkstirrer, got it to where the effluent for topoff Ph is 11.7, not completely saturated but much better than it was. Also put a timer in so the topoff with kalk is off during the day to help stabilize the Ph. Alkalinity is now at 8.7, magnesium 1290, calcium 435.
I think the Acro that's bare has been dead for a while! Look I'm back I may have rushed the acclimation and shocked the corals. Dumb mistake!

terri_ann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hope you find the reason. Just wanted to suggest removing an acro from the plug as pests/eggs can easily go unseen. :0)

Salty1962

Wrasse and SPS Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like your system isn't balanced with your numbers. Your tank is very young for SPS;) I recommend you try:
1. Get your Ph steady.
2. Try to get your Kh to @ 8.0. This gives you wiggle room with your corals.
3. Slowly lower your salinilty to @ 1.026.
4. get you Ca to @420 and Mg to @1350.
5. Keep your No3 @ 2~5 and Po4 @ .02
You should see better results after you get these items stabilized IMHO. If I haven't welcomed you to our crowd, Welcome to R2R!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.7%
Back