Help: sps bleaching W/Pics

franklypre

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know lack of nutrients this looks more like alk swings. Are you carbon dosing(sugar/vinegar/vodka)?

Ecvernon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought there would be something with your test kits. Salifert calcium chart only goes up to 500 and magnesium only goes up to 1500.you would have to add a bit more of each reagent to get to those test results. In order to maintain your high numbers your alkalinity theoretically would have to be much higher. I think that confirming your results at a LFS or a Friends test kit would be a good idea. Also if you are using reef crystals and those are the levels after a water change you may have a bad batch. for me reef crystal mixes at 35ppt with 400-420calcium alkalinity 10-11dkh and 1400-1420 magnesium.

When I was using a Hannah checker for my alkalinity I was shooting for an alkalinity of 7-8. The checker reads lower than it was supposed to. My sps corals was not happy. When I took measures to correct the alkalinity ( through water changes and dosing) my corals started to look like your pictures did.

I really hope you get to the bottom of this.

mic209

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also if you are using reef crystals and those are the levels after a water change you may have a bad batch. for me reef crystal mixes at 35ppt with 400-420calcium alkalinity 10-11dkh and 1400-1420 magnesium.
QUOTE]

I suspect that he is mixing his salt way above 1.026 and that is why his calcium and mag readings are so high. I had the same problem with high mag and calcium with red sea coral pro salt, turns out my calibration fluid for my refractometer went bad and I was mixng my water to 1.032. After getting new calibration fluid, my new saltwater mixed within the range that red sea specifies.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back