Help! Strings on Zoas

Jaden9933

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a small zoa frag about a week ago that had some “string” coming off of both the stalk and the plug. I pulled off what I could, but, after returning from a week long vacation, they’re all back and there’s more than before! I’ve tried looking this up but can’t seem to find an answer. The other zoas I bought at the same time haven’t had this problem and they came from the same tank so I’m a bit stumped
image.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hair algae. Take frag out and brush with firm toothbrush and Hydrogen peroxide and return plug to tank

LiveFreeAndReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take the frag out, put it in a small container with some tank water. Start pouring hydrogen peroxide into the container, keep adding it until the plug starts to bubble. Let the coral sit in there for a couple minutes, then remove and place it back in the tank. Can usually kill off the algae in one go, I've only had one frag that took 2 dips but it was 99% algae and 1% zoa lol the zoas will be mad for a little while, but they'll get over it!

Cpthairychest

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take the frag out, put it in a small container with some tank water. Start pouring hydrogen peroxide into the container, keep adding it until the plug starts to bubble. Let the coral sit in there for a couple minutes, then remove and place it back in the tank. Can usually kill off the algae in one go, I've only had one frag that took 2 dips but it was 99% algae and 1% zoa lol the zoas will be mad for a little while, but they'll get over it!
do you recommend this over the brushing method? what's your success rate?

OP
OP
Jaden9933

Jaden9933

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what did you end up doing? I have some algae around a couple of my zoa's it looks like. Wondering how things turned out for you?
Okay so at this point in my reefing experience, I am a strong advocate for dipping zoas in 3% hydrogen peroxide for 2min maximum. I have does this to many zoa frags (one colony a couple of times) and it always ends up helping them out. They don’t always look happy right after, and may even form some bubbles under their flesh for a day or two, but just give it time and don’t stress! After maybe a week, your zoas should be looking happier and opening more! The algae on the frag itself should be gone by around day 3-5 depending on how severe it was. Just make sure to rinse the frag and coral is some tank water, after the dip, and before placing it back in your tank!

Most people ask about diluting the peroxide, but if you are using 3%, it’s not needed. Please also know, this is not safe for all corals. Zoas have never had a problem for me, however.

OP
OP
Jaden9933

Jaden9933

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do you recommend this over the brushing method? what's your success rate?
If you hit the zoa with the bristles, you’ll end up irritating it a bit more than just dipping it would. It could also tear their flesh, causing them to melt. I damaged mine and they took almost a 4 weeks to open back up
100% on success rate. Brushing does remove most of the algae, but if you miss any it'll come back. Dipping in hydrogen peroxide just straight up kills the algae
I agree! Brushing also won’t kill what’s growing under the flesh of the coral as well as soaking it would if not done correctly.

Just John

Valuable Member? Seriously?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay so at this point in my reefing experience, I am a strong advocate for dipping zoas in 3% hydrogen peroxide for 2min maximum. I have does this to many zoa frags (one colony a couple of times) and it always ends up helping them out. They don’t always look happy right after, and may even form some bubbles under their flesh for a day or two, but just give it time and don’t stress! After maybe a week, your zoas should be looking happier and opening more! The algae on the frag itself should be gone by around day 3-5 depending on how severe it was. Just make sure to rinse the frag and coral is some tank water, after the dip, and before placing it back in your tank!

Most people ask about diluting the peroxide, but if you are using 3%, it’s not needed. Please also know, this is not safe for all corals. Zoas have never had a problem for me, however.
Zx- Pointing up.gif
What they said

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
The toothbrush won’t damage the zoas?
No- obviously don’t make contact with zoas and go after the roots, not the strands themselves

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is where cheap handheld rechargeable dremel with diamond blade really pays off. You can cut right up to and around soft tissue of foot on shrooms and zoas if your careful.
Smart practice to get into the habit of removing all foreign frag plugs, rocks etc before introduced into system. I learned the hard way and let some nasty algae into system. I would have rather had bugs with all the man hours I had to put in removing it. Idk if certain reefs build defenses to particular algae but the one I recieved was no laughing matter.

OP
OP
Jaden9933

Jaden9933

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is where cheap handheld rechargeable dremel with diamond blade really pays off. You can cut right up to and around soft tissue of foot on shrooms and zoas if your careful.
Smart practice to get into the habit of removing all foreign frag plugs, rocks etc before introduced into system. I learned the hard way and let some nasty algae into system. I would have rather had bugs with all the man hours I had to put in removing it. Idk if certain reefs build defenses to particular algae but the one I recieved was no laughing matter.
I have a dremel and bought about a 20 pack of Diamond blades on Amazon for about $12. I use that and bone cutters for cutting the frags.

OP
OP
Jaden9933

Jaden9933

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You aren't brushing the Zoa, just the plug!

No- obviously don’t make contact with zoas and go after the roots, not the strands themselves
This was an old question from when I was still new to this and only had the one zoa frag. These are my zoas now.
F153729E-00A9-4346-8ECB-704ABE2B29F5.jpeg
7866D315-4719-43AC-B6E7-D96AB346F6A9.jpeg
63FCC50C-492C-4D5C-B4CC-4BDEA9714E77.jpeg
FB397CCC-B69E-4EA4-8C58-8B5B332F4497.jpeg
AB094FF6-CD5B-4B72-BC73-65A599F98747.jpeg
A2F88493-A1EC-461C-82E4-47BA30109537.jpeg
344DA5C6-F2E3-4035-AAF5-65D5CFC51B7B.jpeg
D6BF47EC-BDE5-44C9-A37A-3E2FEB95534C.jpeg

Much progress has been made

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back