HELP! STUNNED CORAL

SamD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, I need help ASAP. I purchased a used 90 gal aquarium to upgrade my 37 gal all in one reef tank. Over the weekend I transferred over to the new tank. I used about half of the original water and half of my water. The previous owner’s set up was FOWLR. I have a mixed reef. Well come find out he was using tap water to mix his salt water, the fish in his tank were all completely healthy and seemed to be thriving. However, when I transferred my coral (mainly a large hammer coral and Xenia) they were retracted and angry which I assumed would happen, well now 24 hours later they look like they are melting. I have 4 fish in there and they are happy and eating fine so they don’t seem to be affected. Is it something in the tap water that killed the coral? He said he used de-chlorination but I know there can be all sorts of junk in tap water.
Thank you for any help or advice!

Pico bam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only thing I can think of is do massive water changes. Not sure what else you can do besides setup your old tank with quality water and transfer coral asap to save them.

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, I need help ASAP. I purchased a used 90 gal aquarium to upgrade my 37 gal all in one reef tank. Over the weekend I transferred over to the new tank. I used about half of the original water and half of my water. The previous owner’s set up was FOWLR. I have a mixed reef. Well come find out he was using tap water to mix his salt water, the fish in his tank were all completely healthy and seemed to be thriving. However, when I transferred my coral (mainly a large hammer coral and Xenia) they were retracted and angry which I assumed would happen, well now 24 hours later they look like they are melting. I have 4 fish in there and they are happy and eating fine so they don’t seem to be affected. Is it something in the tap water that killed the coral? He said he used de-chlorination but I know there can be all sorts of junk in tap water.
Thank you for any help or advice!

Mix and do BIG water change... could be anything in that water you inherited :(

Good luck!!!

OP
OP
SamD

SamD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you everyone for the fast responses! It was very helpful, I’ll be doing a large water change today and hope for the best. It’s nice to know this kind of support is available, I’ve been using R2R for a long time now learning from the community.

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 13 9.4%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 59 42.8%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 65 47.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.7%
Back