Help Turbo charge my RO/DI machine

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20211128_165007.jpg

Here is my Refurbish SpectraPure 75 gallon RO/DI machine, I replace the 3 filters back in July of this year. My original RO membrane is a 75 gallon a day. My BRS upgrade kit has a 150 gallon membrane up grade.

Do the RO membrane have to match meaning if you have a 75 gallon does the other have to be a 75 gallon one as well?

My incoming water is about 450 and before the DI it is 8 or 10 tds. After the single DI it is ) TDS
I just purchased the 2 chamber from BRS, how should I reconfigure the reactors. 2 DI or 3? Then what about the carbon filters if I do two DI I then could add another carbon filter. Thanks in advance

Last edited:
OP
OP
Blue Spot Octopus

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

See this thread for links to what I purchased.

hhaase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't quite tell what you have in the canisters there but it doesn't quite look right.
Here's where I usually run mine.....
5 Micron Sediment ----> 5 Micron Carbon -----> 1 Micron Carbon -----> Dual 75gpd Membranes -------> Mixed Bed Resin.

If you're going to be running two cannisters for DI..... I'm not sure how that works. Usually I see it with three cannisters. Cation, then Anion, then a mixed bed. Or you can run both canisters with mixed bed.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also with your source water being 450tds and running a second membrane you may deplete di too quickly. I use a second membrane and love it (I'm considering adding a third) but the input to the second membrane will be around 25% higher than the feed to the first membrane. If you deplete your di too quickly you may need to go back to one membrane.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Blue Spot Octopus

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the middle filter suppose to be pleated? The first one is like a rolled up paper towel.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the middle filter suppose to be pleated? The first one is like a rolled up paper towel.
It should be a carbon filter after the sediment and none that I've ever used were pleated. I'd guess it's not carbon if I had to guess. It looks like a pool filter honestly. If it's a used system and it came with those pre filters, I'd replace them anyway.

OP
OP
Blue Spot Octopus

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hhasse. The dual reactors are brand new with nothing in them, I just received them from BRS. I wan to to add them to my system hence Turbo Charging my RO/DI. I want to optimize my system with best option for the filters.

OP
OP
Blue Spot Octopus

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks it will much easier to talk about individual reactors this way. So the second reactor on the pre-filter side, does the pleated one look correct?

OP
OP
Blue Spot Octopus

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gtinnel. " It should be a carbon filter after the sediment and none that I've ever used were pleated. I'd guess it's not carbon if I had to guess. It looks like a pool filter honestly. If it's a used system and it came with those pre filters, I'd replace them anyway."

0.35 Micron Pleated Sediment Filter Cartridge 10"
This is the filter, the Refurbished units from Spectrapure are new units, and my filters have been replaced since new. Should I put this is pre filter one and toss the first filter and in #2 place a carbon filter?

hhaase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, I'd grab the BRS 6-stage replacement filter kit. This will give you all new sediment and carbon blocks plus resin for both cartridges. Should give you quite good water coming out of that system. Though it does show out of stock at the moment.

If you know for sure that your water is treated with chlorine and not chloramines, you could use their "Matrikx" 6-stage refill kit instead. I'd also use this refill kit if you have well water instead of municipal water.

Might need to do some re-plumbing of the RO/DI though to make sure everything is going in the right sequence.

-Hans

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.5%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.1%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 157 67.1%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back