Rating - 0%
0   0   0
giphy.gif

Alaeriel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean, troll post aside its a wicked idea. Anyone know of a six-figure job opening in Minneapolis I could pick up to put a 20k+ gallon tank in my house? ;Cat
We're looking to DIY a bunch of cheap-but-not-cheap-looking built in tanks when we buy a house next year, but nothing quite so ostentatious yet haha

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It kept a few of us entertained both myself and forum members during a global pandemic. Not the worst thing someone could do.
Not cool dude. Definitely not cool. At the very least you could have prefaced it with a "hypothetically".

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll be honest. I recently really got into aquariums. I bought 5 red belly piranha fry and was hoping to find other people who shared the same interests in aquariums. I accidentally joined this one not realizing it was a saltwater reef forum. Salt water stuff looks amazing but it’s not something I’m ready for yet. Maybe one day. Thought I’d make a ridiculous post to see what kind of responses I’ll get. I have a 120 gallon tank. Not a swimming pool.
Haha, I knew it! This one smelled fishy!

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ugh. Just saw that this was a troll post. That's frustrating.

But hypothetically I'm still thinkin this through... I'm in Cali, so (while I don't have the budget to do this) our climate would be more conducive to it. I also know that Tidal Gardens and some others in colder climates operate out of greenhouses. I wonder if hypothetically a pool could be converted and what that would take... Again, I'll point to this thread that makes me think it's doable: Outdoor Reef Pond

Smarkow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you want a mixed reef tank? Mostly fish? Kelp forest? Cold water? Is coral more important or are fish more important.

Location?
This is super insightful. Huge opportunity to take what some see as disadvantages and turn them into advantages for a “temperate” and low flow tank.

The Toledo Zoo has a temperate tank with kelp and cooler water fish.

See blog, screen cap below

4B122C6A-EA9A-46AA-83EA-D2C85317F69B.png

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ugh. Just saw that this was a troll post. That's frustrating.

But hypothetically I'm still thinkin this through... I'm in Cali, so (while I don't have the budget to do this) our climate would be more conducive to it. I also know that Tidal Gardens and some others in colder climates operate out of greenhouses. I wonder if hypothetically a pool could be converted and what that would take... Again, I'll point to this thread that makes me think it's doable: Outdoor Reef Pond
Look up Steve Garrett! I think he wrote about his backyard coral farm for AFI/FAMA back in the late 2000s/early 2010s !

Oh dear. This is that youtube video. I'm fairly certain this was a SensationaryTube video (i.e. PR stunt). The pool was not set up long term. Pretty dang inethical.

longtimereefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
24,300 Gallons. Why would it not be large enough? They say 10 gallons per inch. 11 feet is only 132 inches. I am not set on Marlin. Just would like 1 large fish to be the "king" of the aquarium if that makes any sense.
Marlin must constantly move and require miles and miles of open ocean. It would not survive in pool. You need high end professional services to handle a job this big and assess if the infrastructure you have would even work. Salt water requires much more movement than fresh, you also have all the chemicals in place that need to be completely removed etc.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
:rolleyes: :cool::) "really";)

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll be honest. I recently really got into aquariums. I bought 5 red belly piranha fry and was hoping to find other people who shared the same interests in aquariums. I accidentally joined this one not realizing it was a saltwater reef forum. Salt water stuff looks amazing but it’s not something I’m ready for yet. Maybe one day. Thought I’d make a ridiculous post to see what kind of responses I’ll get. I have a 120 gallon tank. Not a swimming pool.

Sounds like it is time to return the freshwater fry and change to salt.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back