OP
OP
Jmblank1

Jmblank1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello fellow fish tank people, I am still stirring up the bottom & cleaning the strainer and its looking a lot better, my question today is, how to set my lights, I have AquaticLife Edge LED,
Channel 1, color LEDs Start 8:00am / End 8:00pm
Channel 2, White LEDs Start 10:00am / End 5:00pm
Channel 3, Blue Lunar LEDs Start 8:00pm / 12:00am
What would be a better setting for algae control?

OP
OP
Jmblank1

Jmblank1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Took this a few minutes ago, so much better, tomorrow I will, take out 5 gallons, replace the rock and top off with marine water.
IMG-2725.jpg

MarshallB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Took this a few minutes ago, so much better, tomorrow I will, take out 5 gallons, replace the rock and top off with marine water.
Algae loves the redder spectrum of light. That would include your white and color settings. Running white / color lighting on shorter times will help. Algae is going to come in some form regardless. Just stay on top of it and remove it before it dominates the tank. A decent clean up crew will help control this. Siphon out the sandbed often etc.

If you don't have any coral, and you see something nasty coming out, just turn the lights off for a few days. It wont hurt the fish at all.

OP
OP
Jmblank1

Jmblank1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Algae loves the redder spectrum of light. That would include your white and color settings. Running white / color lighting on shorter times will help. Algae is going to come in some form regardless. Just stay on top of it and remove it before it dominates the tank. A decent clean up crew will help control this. Siphon out the sandbed often etc.

If you don't have any coral, and you see something nasty coming out, just turn the lights off for a few days. It wont hurt the fish at all.
Thank you

chizerbunoi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s fine but your going to have to keep your canister cleaned weekly. Is there just live rock in it now? Or the ceramics?

I personally would turn the lights off until the tank leeches off all the phosphates and nitrate is under control. It’s just going to regrow and spread back over your rocks.

keep testing parameters of nitrate and phosphate regularly. Once it creeps up again for phosphate then change out the media. For nitrate I would do a water change.

OP
OP
Jmblank1

Jmblank1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s fine but your going to have to keep your canister cleaned weekly. Is there just live rock in it now? Or the ceramics?

I personally would turn the lights off until the tank leeches off all the phosphates and nitrate is under control. It’s just going to regrow and spread back over your rocks.

keep testing parameters of nitrate and phosphate regularly. Once it creeps up again for phosphate then change out the media. For nitrate I would do a water change.
I have the ceramics in there now, is that bad? If I want to replace the filter, what would you recommend?

chizerbunoi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ceramics are fine. Only that they clog faster and turn into a nitrate factory if you don’t maintain to get detritus out. That’s all.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 22 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 4.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

• Other.

Back