Help with baby maxima clam

jiungerich

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Three days ago I bought a baby maxima and my lfs gave me reef chili to feed it with. I also use phytofeast.

I run chemipure elite, Puritan, carbon, and chaeto. I also have aquaticlife 115 skimmer. All in a 16 gallon innovative marine tank.

I have a cobalt heater that keeps temp good and a tunze ato unit I got 3 days ago

I noticed my clams mouth open a little and don't know if its cuz the low light or lack of food. It's morning I put the clam in a bowl with food and water for 15 min. I don't want to do this everytime cuz I don't want to hurt his foot stuck to rock. Does everything look normal? The lights are 2 par 30 boostleds. And the flow is 440 koralina evo nano and 220 I think? They alternate every 5 sec.

ImageUploadedByReef2Reef Aquarium Forum1362070499.936029.jpg

I was thinking about moving it up on top left rock.
ImageUploadedByReef2Reef Aquarium Forum1362070525.343900.jpg

After the food bath

ImageUploadedByReef2Reef Aquarium Forum1362070541.273904.jpg

Sent Via the R2R Forum APP

Otter_rs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks ok for now, but maxima clams are very demanding animals. They need very stable water quality, constantly high calcium levels, low phosphates, and intense lighting. This is very difficult to keep up with in such a small aquarium. Not to say it can't be done, but you have your work cut out for you.

Brent \><{{{{*>
Sent Via the R2R Forum APP

Hudzon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There really should be no need to spot feed it and spot feeding can be bad as uneaten food attracts other things in the tank to try to pick the food off of it.

o2manyfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to tell the size of the clam from your photo. When I have started off with Maximas under 1.5" I have mounted them on a rock and taken the rock and clam out of the tank to feed a couple of times a week till they get settled into the tank (a couple of months) and then feed the tank.

Now granted my tank is larger than yours so I can feed / over feed the tank without any issues. But if you are careful with the quantity you feed and keep your water quality you should have a good chance at success.

Dave B

Poriferan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never fed my maxima directly. Strong light is the key I think. I have had it four years and neglected the tank for at least 2 along the way. Never had an issue with the clam. With the lights you have I would be sure and point one directly at the clam.

WVUreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO I had a maxima that size(much bigger now) and never did a thing once they were placed..I have a 65 gal tall tank and all my maximas are on the sand bed..I think the constant handling and uprooting of the clam from the sand bed or rock work would be more detrimental due to the stress it places on the clam..I have never once spot fed any or my clams...

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 141 42.9%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 117 35.6%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.2%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.5%
Back