Help with cyanobacteria / dinos ID

Michael's Marine Park

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

I've been battling with what I believe is cyanobacteria, but was hoping for other input to know if this is actually dinos.

I've attached pictures here of my tank. I just did a 5gal water change on this (25 gal tank). I've had this tank for 8 months now and for the last few I feel like I just can't get rid of this stuff. I constantly suck it out, and I have a skimmer, but it just comes back so quickly.

My water parameters are typically as follows:

Nitrate <5
pH 7.8
Alk 7.8
Calcium 440
Magnesium 1550
Ammonia & nitrate: 0
Phosphate: 0.04

If anyone has any advice on how to get rid of these for good, I'd appreciate it.

IMG_1996.jpg IMG_1997.jpg IMG_1998.jpg IMG_1999.jpg

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

I've been battling with what I believe is cyanobacteria, but was hoping for other input to know if this is actually dinos.

I've attached pictures here of my tank. I just did a 5gal water change on this (25 gal tank). I've had this tank for 8 months now and for the last few I feel like I just can't get rid of this stuff. I constantly suck it out, and I have a skimmer, but it just comes back so quickly.

My water parameters are typically as follows:

Nitrate <5
pH 7.8
Alk 7.8
Calcium 440
Magnesium 1550
Ammonia & nitrate: 0
Phosphate: 0.04

If anyone has any advice on how to get rid of these for good, I'd appreciate it.

IMG_1996.jpg IMG_1997.jpg IMG_1998.jpg IMG_1999.jpg
Well the good news is the corals look great! Everything is nice and puffy!!!! Numbers look good.

Shine a flashlight on the algae to see better color but like already mentioned, it looks like some of that is dinos, its probably a nice smorgasbord of algae.

As for Getting rid of it for good...well that's the million dollar question;)

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 15 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 34 17.7%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 128 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 9 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.1%
Back