Help with cyanobacteria / dinos ID

Michael's Marine Park

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 10, 2022
Messages
32
Reaction score
6
Location
New York
What state or country do you live in
New York
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

I've been battling with what I believe is cyanobacteria, but was hoping for other input to know if this is actually dinos.

I've attached pictures here of my tank. I just did a 5gal water change on this (25 gal tank). I've had this tank for 8 months now and for the last few I feel like I just can't get rid of this stuff. I constantly suck it out, and I have a skimmer, but it just comes back so quickly.

My water parameters are typically as follows:

Nitrate <5
pH 7.8
Alk 7.8
Calcium 440
Magnesium 1550
Ammonia & nitrate: 0
Phosphate: 0.04

If anyone has any advice on how to get rid of these for good, I'd appreciate it.

IMG_1996.jpg IMG_1997.jpg IMG_1998.jpg IMG_1999.jpg
 
Hello everyone,

I've been battling with what I believe is cyanobacteria, but was hoping for other input to know if this is actually dinos.

I've attached pictures here of my tank. I just did a 5gal water change on this (25 gal tank). I've had this tank for 8 months now and for the last few I feel like I just can't get rid of this stuff. I constantly suck it out, and I have a skimmer, but it just comes back so quickly.

My water parameters are typically as follows:

Nitrate <5
pH 7.8
Alk 7.8
Calcium 440
Magnesium 1550
Ammonia & nitrate: 0
Phosphate: 0.04

If anyone has any advice on how to get rid of these for good, I'd appreciate it.

IMG_1996.jpg IMG_1997.jpg IMG_1998.jpg IMG_1999.jpg
Well the good news is the corals look great! Everything is nice and puffy!!!! Numbers look good.

Shine a flashlight on the algae to see better color but like already mentioned, it looks like some of that is dinos, its probably a nice smorgasbord of algae.

As for Getting rid of it for good...well that's the million dollar question;)
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 5 3.9%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 10 7.9%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 24 18.9%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 40 31.5%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.9%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.9%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 18 14.2%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 7.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new