Help with damage on fish.

Trixter227

Wrasse Wrangler
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New fish, didn't see this damage uppn arrival on Thursday. Added with 5 other wrasse. No fish chase or pick on him, looks like rock damage? Still eats every feeding, but starting today has been layin on the sand looking a little sad.
If i need to remove him please let me know. I hope its not disease.
20240127_181850.jpg

20240127_181848.jpg

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Is it on one side or both sides - if on one - it suggests an injury more than uronema. Ditto the opposite

OP
OP
Trixter227

Trixter227

Wrasse Wrangler
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it on one side or both sides - if on one - it suggests an injury more than uronema. Ditto the opposite
Just on the one side. Other than this spot the fish looks pretty healthy. Plump, colorful, swimming, and eating

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just on the one side. Other than this spot the fish looks pretty healthy. Plump, colorful, swimming, and eating
It looks like uronema (but that is usually IME on both sides) - and if it goes to the other side or is worsening - I would at the start treat as an injury / infection. Meaning watch for now - consider antibiotics if worse/red and treat for uronema if the stripe is spreading to the other side, etc.

OP
OP
Trixter227

Trixter227

Wrasse Wrangler
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, no redness so far. These were "Fully Quarantined" fish so hopefully not, but things happen

OP
OP
Trixter227

Trixter227

Wrasse Wrangler
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish has passed, curled up and swimming upside-down and sideways...
No diffr9in the injury. No redness or mucus, just looks roadrash/chunk missin.
Thanks for the help, ill update if the other fish start showing signs.

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's uronema
It will most likely spread to some of the susceptible fish. I would get the qt tank setup. I bought fully qt fish (anthias) and they were decemated by uronema

OP
OP
Trixter227

Trixter227

Wrasse Wrangler
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea 6 wrasse all from the same order added at the same time. All fully qtd. I have a small qt useuly on deck so cross my fingers
Thank you

Last edited:

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I purchased 2 sets of 11 anthias all fully qt'd. Only to get decimated by uronema. Since they were fully qt'd I put them in my display and uronema wiped out my cbb as well Out of 22 anthias only got a hand full to live. I found that methalin blue seemed to work for me....but had to get them all in there quick as possible since that disease works fast. From my experience, I would start treating them as they tend to touch each other and it's highly contagious I think.

Fully qtd doesn't cover uronema as it can show up later apparently after being treated with copper and prazipro

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish has passed, curled up and swimming upside-down and sideways...
No diffr9in the injury. No redness or mucus, just looks roadrash/chunk missin.
Thanks for the help, ill update if the other fish start showing signs.

Sorry to hear.

Given the look of the lesion and how fast the fish died, this was probably internal Uronema. Quarantine processes simply do not handle that, there is no effective treatment. Nobody knows exactly now these fish become infected, but it is sometime during the long supply chain. Luckily, it is almost never contagious to other fish once they are in home aquarium tanks. When you hear of groups of fish being affected, it is probable that they were all infected at the same time. You almost never seen adding a fish with Uronema to a tank and then having one of your previous fish come up sick. In fact, external Uronema is found in a high percentage of aquariums as a normal part of the microbiome - they feed on bacteria.

Jay

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 101 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.8%
Back