Help with external skimmer (recirculating)!

JesseLikesHondas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am running a sump-less set up with Canister filter and I want to get a reef octopus 110ext. My question is if the skimmer can be set up underneath the tank? I am wondering if the return line/ gate can be routed upwards to return into the tank about 28” up into the tank. Does anyone have any experience doing this? Please help.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think You need an external Skimmer for your application. Pics of your setup might improve this conversation.

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You can do this but it would essentially be putting a tank under your tank to house the skimmer and pump to push the water back into your tank.

At that point you basically have a sump.

HOB skimmer is the way I went and I use a FX6 with a HOB fuge as well.

I was thinking the same as you...and now am designing the new tank and sump ;)

ChiFlyGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have that exact skimmer but the same applies for most recirculating ext style skimmers. The outlet for the skimmer must be below the level in the chamber for it to "overflow" out. Like stated above you could have it flow into a tank below and pump it back up but that is essentially a sump. Or you could just set it up above your tank to overflow back into your display similar to a hob.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

JesseLikesHondas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for your help everyone. You definitely answered my questions. I was under the impression that the same flow generated by the water pump @ the inlet would also be the same flow at the outlet so it would have enough pressure to go the distance, but I guess protein skimmers aren’t designed that way :( I wanted a very clean look without the need for a sump but at this point it seems like I’m going to end up going with a HOB protein skimmer. Thanks again everyone!

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back