Help with getting a tank going

IForgotpants

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So here is the general issue. This is not my tank. I'm a diy guy when it comes to my tanks I just build what I need. The tank I'm currently stuck on unfortunately is not mine its my uncles. The tank is 48×12×24 looking for suggestions for a wave make or powerhead setup and a light fixture to support basic sea life the tank is established but has no coral or invert life to speak of. Advice is hugely welcome.

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A simple LED strip light will probably suffice for your lighting needs. They are made by a variety of manufacturers in the 48" length. Some are high tech and others are plug and play. I suppose it would be a preference thing as to what kind you would want.

For powerheads, I have had good mileage out of my Hydor Koralias. They come in a wide variety of sizes, last long, are simple and easy to clean, and are pretty affordable. You can also get the smartwave controller to create wave-making effect. There are other manufacturers (marineland, jebao, etc.) that also make cheap and simple powerheads. You'd have good luck at finding cheap ones on Ebay or Amazon.

OP
OP
I

IForgotpants

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, greatly appreciated advice, but I'm not looking for cheap i want something thats under a 1000usd for the lighting I worry about most of the led systems I see not hitting the bottom of a 24" tall tank. I considered the current Usa pro but it still only uses .5w bulbs as far as I can see.

smh254

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go with two Chinese black boxes for lights and Jebao for return pump and wave maker. This is about as cheep as your going to get.

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, greatly appreciated advice, but I'm not looking for cheap i want something thats under a 1000usd for the lighting I worry about most of the led systems I see not hitting the bottom of a 24" tall tank. I considered the current Usa pro but it still only uses .5w bulbs as far as I can see.

Are you hoping to add coral eventually? If so, you may want to avoid strip lights and go to bigger style fixture. Many blackbox LED lights are adjustable, here is the bigger version of what I currently use: https://sbreeflights.com/sbox-reef-lights/13-sbox-30-basic-3-channel.html

That light should cover a 48" tank well and also be strong enough to light the bottom of the tank effectively.

OP
OP
I

IForgotpants

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you hoping to add coral eventually? If so, you may want to avoid strip lights and go to bigger style fixture. Many blackbox LED lights are adjustable, here is the bigger version of what I currently use: https://sbreeflights.com/sbox-reef-lights/13-sbox-30-basic-3-channel.html

That light should cover a 48" tank well and also be strong enough to light the bottom of the tank effectively.
Just checked out that link I'm going to show him those tonight maybe go with a pair of 16" ones.

rblair

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
for what its worth - I had the 48" Current Marine Pro on a 90 gallon and it was ok, but not very bright by the time it got to the bottom (it was sitting on the glass tops) I now have 2 of the Galaxy hydro black boxes hanging about 12 inches above the water and even on only 60% they far outdo the current marine pro and do a great job (so far, about a yr) with all types for coral - and they cost about half

I will be putting the Current Marine pro back on the 90 when i get my 180 back online but the 90 will be FOWLR at that point, the black boxes (3 of them) will hanging over the 180

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 141 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back