Help with ID, killing zoas

Act1n1c_L1fe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As for dipping no, but I have heard people have success by smothering tge with epoxy or super glue. Or injecting them with a kalk paste. I wonder if aptasia x would work on them in that case?
Aptasia x doesn’t do anything. Tried that

Act1n1c_L1fe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not at all, rodi is pure water and will absorb anything it can, it's actually damaging to living tissue.

Not saying people haven't had success with zoa dipping in rodi, but it's not the same at all.
If rodi wasn’t as beneficial as tap water, why do we use rodi in our tanks? Rain collects many harmful toxins in the atmosphere that could damage coral. Rodi is sterile, meaning there’s NOTHING in the water. If there’s nothing in the water, nothing can harm coral. Yes it absorbs stuff, but so does rain water.

MrObscura

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're not dumping rodi straight in your tank(outside of top off), you start with it because it is pure and everything needed is added with your salt mix.

The fact that it is sterile is exactly why it's harmful to living tissue. It aggressively absorbs anything it can. Again, not saying people haven't had success dipping zoas, just pointing things out. The reason it kills hydroids is the same reason it's damaging to living tissue.

Act1n1c_L1fe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I do, auto top off.
And you could if there want anything in salt, I dose multiple different trace elements. Never the less, dipping in rodi is better than dipping in tap water. Especially because here in Florida, there’s many chemicals in tap water such as chlorine.

MrObscura

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything but water remains in the tank during evaporation so rodi top off is simply replacing what's now missing. Not the same thing.

But instead of arguing just to argue, let the OPs thread get back on track.

OP
OP
medusala

medusala

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol. yeah HOW TO KILL HYDROIDS?

Seems so many people post this, with no definitive answer.

Act1n1c_L1fe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The purpose of the rodi dip is to kill hydroids. Putting them in tap water will do nothing because they will have nutrients to support themselves. The ro/di won’t hurt zoas because they don’t consume nutrients in the water, they are photosynthetic which can be supported by weekly feedings. Rodi water won’t hurt zoanthids. It may hurt more sensitive corals such as acro’s which rely on minerals in the water column.

Act1n1c_L1fe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol. yeah HOW TO KILL HYDROIDS?

Seems so many people post this, with no definitive answer.
Rodi water, super glue. Some say hydrogen peroxide but it did nothing for me. Super glue won’t definitely get rid of hydroids. Ro/di kills them dead.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 110 42.8%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 123 47.9%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 24 9.3%
Back