Help with ID

  • Thread starter Thread starter TonyT
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

TonyT

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
May 13, 2010
Messages
100
Reaction score
0
Location
Texas
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last night I was lookin in the reef about 11:30 and found this critter. Appears to be some type of cowrie.

IMG_8191.jpg


So while it was out and accessible I caught it and isolated it till I can find out if it is reef safe or not. Any help IDing this guy would be appreciated. This is the closest thing I found surfing the net.

ChestnutCowrie.jpg


No idea where it came from and just wanna know if it will harm anything. I read that they will eat corals and anemoneas as they get bigger.
 
Last edited:
Try to google either:
Cypraea annulus
Cypraea moneta
or cypraea obveleta
 
p.s.

You'd want to pray that it wasn't what was in that pic of what you thought resembles it :tongue:
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 3 4.5%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 18 26.9%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 19 28.4%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 9 13.4%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 2 3.0%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 4 6.0%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 7 10.4%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 4 6.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new