Help with loss of color

DeepBlueSomething

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,
I figured I should come and ask the gurus and try to limit my hard knocks learning. This is one of my first SPS I have added and so I am totally new. I am not sure the cause or remedy, so am looking for some help. Plus this is my wife's favorite! So stakes are high needless to say...

I got the below frag a few weeks ago -- color was great, placed her in mid tank with mid flow, more light than not. Within a week noticed loss of color on the edges (3:00 position in picture visible / likewise @ 9:00 - not visible), although PE was good. So, I have two 'bleached' spots on the two sides that are more or less in contact with the LR its resting on.

I am simply too inexperienced (even after reading threads and searching) to figure out if this is transition, related to LR, lighting, etc.

Picture below -- build thread: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/dbs-40-breeder-tank-build.331886/
IMG_1901.JPG

RamsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can try slowly moving it to the side or lower than the light.
Bleaching is usually to much light but I'm not an expert.
Whatever you do to it do it a little and then wait 7 days and then do it some more.

WWIII

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If that's the current state of the coral in the picture, it doesn't look bad. I find that some of these entrusting sps get different colors and lighten up when they are spreading to new territory. I would just keep an eye on it. What lights are you using? Sometimes when they start to lose color I move them to lower light to see if that helps. A lot of times it does.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 165 61.8%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 70 26.2%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 92 34.5%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 46 17.2%
  • Other

Votes: 70 26.2%
Back