Help with Maxima Clam

Chris Spaulding

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Maxima clam that I brought home 3 days ago. I dripped acclimated the clam for a little more than an hr. I inspected VERY closely for pyramid snails, nothing. Placed the clam on flat clam rock at bottom of tank. The clam has retreated its mantel and not extending less each day. Clam has fast and strong reaction to movement. I have constantly watched no picking at mantel from any fish.Tangs have pecked at shell but not close to mantel.
Par at Clam 240
Alk 7.9 Dkh
Cal 410
Mag 1390
Po4 0.04 Hanna
No3 6.8 Hanna
Salinity 1.025

ICP last week nothing concerning other than Potassium slightly elevated and Strontium a little low.

More light?
Just more time?
7246C815-CF92-417B-9D88-887745959B6D.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have a Maxima clam that I brought home 3 days ago. I dripped acclimated the clam for a little more than an hr. I inspected VERY closely for pyramid snails, nothing. Placed the clam on flat clam rock at bottom of tank. The clam has retreated its mantel and not extending less each day. Clam has fast and strong reaction to movement. I have constantly watched no picking at mantel from any fish.Tangs have pecked at shell but not close to mantel.
Par at Clam 240
Alk 7.9 Dkh
Cal 410
Mag 1390
Po4 0.04 Hanna
No3 6.8 Hanna
Salinity 1.025

ICP last week nothing concerning other than Potassium slightly elevated and Strontium a little low.

More light?
Just more time?
How its laid on sand not satisfactory. Placed on a cupped rock which represents a cradle. hey need something solid to bore those byssal filaments into. And sand will not work. A little about your maxima. . . . Clams can be rewarding and colorful but there are a few precautions:
Temperature not to exceed 80
Ca not to exceed 450
Ph not to exceed 8.3
Alk not to exceed 11
Salinity best at 1.025
Nitrate not to exceed 8
Moderate water flow
Good lighting

They’re a sensitive species. You CAN’T allow ammonia, nitrite, or even nitrates to build up. This means adhering to a strict schedule of 25% water changes every week. Set up dosing to provide the trace elements the clam will need to survive if you can’t. Fluctuations in temperature, oxygen levels, pH, or alkalinity can make your maxima unhappy. Maxima clams also need light and lots of it which fuels the photosynthesis carried out by the zooxanthellae within their mantle. Without proper light, the clam will starve.

Last edited:

Nburg's Reef

High-Rise Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not an expert, but I do know maxima need tons and tons of light (can be found in a few feet of water in the wild) and they do like a little bit of nitrates and certain waterborne food when smaller. They are also prone to being nipped at by certain fish.

Looks like a beauty tho, so I hope you're able to find a spot it likes.

OP
OP
Chris Spaulding

Chris Spaulding

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How its laid on sand not satisfactory. Placed on a cupped rock which represents a cradle. hey need something solid to bore those byssal filaments into. And sand will not work. A little about your maxima. . . . Clams can be rewarding and colorful but there are a few precautions:
Temperature not to exceed 80
Ca not to exceed 450
Ph not to exceed 8.3
Alk not to exceed 11
Salinity best at 1.025
Nitrate not to exceed.8
Moderate water flow
Good lighting

They’re a sensitive species. You CAN’T allow ammonia, nitrite, or even nitrates to build up. This means adhering to a strict schedule of 25% water changes every week. Set up dosing to provide the trace elements the clam will need to survive if you can’t. Fluctuations in temperature, oxygen levels, pH, or alkalinity can make your maxima unhappy. Maxima clams also need light and lots of it which fuels the photosynthesis carried out by the zooxanthellae within their mantle. Without proper light, the clam will starve.
Temp 78
ph 8.1 bottom height 8.4 Apex
lighting 240 par can easily raise higher in tank
How old is the tank?
16 months old

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
It needs more light. The clam isn’t showing growth, it might not have been well before you got it. Maxima usually is placed on rock not sand.
bottom is ideal spot, just no sand. Make sure the rock is cupped and Not flat

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Par at Clam 240
Alk 7.9 Dkh
Cal 410
Mag 1390
Po4 0.04 Hanna
No3 6.8 Hanna
Salinity 1.025

More light?
Just more time?
How big is the clam?
Did you watch the person take it out and put it in the bag or cup? Was it attached to something?

It is attached now, good.
Is concerning that it has no new growth. I must say, 240 par, imo, is enough. The mantel, if extended, will get enough.

OP
OP
Chris Spaulding

Chris Spaulding

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is the clam?
Did you watch the person take it out and put it in the bag or cup? Was it attached to something?

Is concerning that it has no new growth. I must say, 240 par, imo, is enough. The mantel, if extended, will get enough.
Was not attached. Watched him place in bag no Air in bag . Was at Reef Stock show.
It is attached to cradle now

OP
OP
Chris Spaulding

Chris Spaulding

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is the clam?

Clam is 4.5 inches

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Swallow tail have not seen her near clam
swallowtail wont touch it. Neither did my flame and coral beauty go near it.
Larger angels like majestic, regal, etc will be an issue.
Mine of 2+ years:

clam1.jpg
clam3.jpg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back