20220218_155210.jpg
    193.5 KB · Views: 73

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would place it on the rock behind it and to the left and slowly increase the lighting/intensity. At this size, the growth rate will be slower, but you should always see fresh new shell growth just below the mantle at the upper margin of the shell. My guess is that the clam wasn’t getting enough light before and now it’s in the same conditions or less. Over the course of the next couple weeks or so, I would increase your par so it’s getting 350-400 micro moles. You can’t give it too much light. Also, maximas at this size are not usually aquacultured and most likely wild collected.
In the meantime order this book.

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would give it more light.
I would move it to the rockwork.
I've only tried 1 maxima and it was a small gold. Beautiful creature but like vetteguy says. Fragile creature.
Good luck! U got this!
D

OP
OP
Chris Spaulding

Chris Spaulding

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is new growth below the mantel so this is good. I started to increase lighting SLOWLY 1% per week MaX. At peak lighting that spot it is at now actually get almost 300 par. On top of that rock to the left it is closer to 400 at peak.There is not much room there for it as the corals that are incrusted on to the rock. Maybe one can move ( RMF Acid Trip) that would create room.
When I get home from work I will see if it mantel is extending any better.

If it is needing more light wouldn't the mantel be out and stretching up to the light in order to gather more light ?

djf91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was in the same boat as you about a month ago. I purchased a 6 inch blue maxima from my LFS that they said was from Tahiti. I had decent extension under my Halides on day 2-3 but then started noticing that it was retracted 80% of the time when I would walk past the tank during the following weeks. But it seemed to be very healthy and it really did want to extend and would start to extend when I would stay in front of the tank and observe. So I then backed away from the tank and what do you know….. my large purple tang comes out of the rocks and goes right for the clam and makes a massive nip at the mantle and then just continues to wait there in front of it for it to open back again and then another big nip. I put an upside down critter carrier around the clam the next day and the clam opened up the most I had ever seen it and has since stayed open. I would make sure none of your tangs are nipping when you’re not around.

OP
OP
Chris Spaulding

Chris Spaulding

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been watching closely all be it not 24 /7 but I am at the tank for Hrs at a time every night as it is in the main family room I have not seen any fish nip at the mantel. I have seen a tang pick at the side of the shell witch caused to react

Last edited:
OP
OP
Chris Spaulding

Chris Spaulding

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update . I watched very closely for any fish nipping at the mantel an did not see any one nipping. What I did see is the tangs coming up and grazing on the she’ll. As soon as they did this the clam retracted. Also my tank is VERY active and any time a fish swam over the top the clam would react.
I decided to move the clam over to my shallow mangrove tank that is attached to my Seahorse tank. He has opened up nicely. My only concern now is he going to get enough light. He is directly under an AI prime in 7 inches of water. Prime is 9 inches above he water.
image.jpg
3F6D4488-5D5F-478C-B626-9AB40A16D2B3.jpeg

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update . I watched very closely for any fish nipping at the mantel an did not see any one nipping. What I did see is the tangs coming up and grazing on the she’ll. As soon as they did this the clam retracted. Also my tank is VERY active and any time a fish swam over the top the clam would react.
I decided to move the clam over to my shallow mangrove tank that is attached to my Seahorse tank. He has opened up nicely. My only concern now is he going to get enough light. He is directly under an AI prime in 7 inches of water. Prime is 9 inches above he water.
image.jpg
How much par? Or estimate?
( don't tell anyone, but I have mine in less than 300 par since I've had it five or six years. Most people say that's not enough, so don't tell them) ;)

20220218_155034.jpg

ArachnoJoozt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg
At least you know it's a healthy clam, beautiful specimen! I think the clam should get used to the fish. I see very little algae in your DT, while the clam is pretty green. Maybe works like a nori clip for the Tangs, excessively picking at it until most algae is gone, and thus irritating it.
You could clean the algae off the shell and try to reintroduce the clam to the DT, see if there is a difference. If there is any picking at the mantle it's obviously a no-no, but very occasional picking at the shell and just many fish around in general should not be too much of an issue.

The first picture of the mangrove tank there is a little teaser of a top-down photo, seems to be even more stunning, can you post a top-down shot just for enjoyment's sake? :)

OP
OP
Chris Spaulding

Chris Spaulding

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He is doing great in the mangrove tank. Even though I did not see ay of my fish pick at the mantel when he was in the DT the CBB was giving him the stink eye . The DT does have Some alga but the 3 tangs and foxface along with hundreds of various snail keep it in check. Here is a top down as the lights are getting dimmer from a few days ago.
62534172-9359-4C8F-AAA7-437F02C73626.jpeg

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
very happy to see the improvements - have been following along as I have 2 derassas and a round maxima and still learning - this thread has helped
you are a diligent critter attendant and sure it have found a good home - best of luck and let us see another pic in a few weeks please

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He looks much happier in the mangrove tank. Could have been the Foxface or CBB. They can be buggers sometimes. That is a nice size clam.

Back