Maxima Clam help!

1Clown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I've always loved clams and had them in the past so bought myself another one for my new tank.

I already set up what I believed was a perfect spot for it almost directly under a Kessil A360WE and very little flow as everything I've read in regards to lighting is they're pretty much like SPS in that regard. Everything was fine until I had to catch a fish causing me headaches and in the process knocked over the rock the clam was on causing the clam to be ripped off leaving behind some strands from it's foot.

I immediately placed the clam back and it looked fine until the following day I found it fallen over on it's side, weird I thought, put it back and an hour later it fell again. I was almost certain my coral goby was irritating it as it usually sits on it's mantle, I even feared it may have been pecking at it in order for it to keep falling over. Few hours pass and I literally see the clam back flip off the rock in front of my eyes with the coral goby being no where near it, I also noticed in the centre of the clam where both openings are it appears to be bleaching. I've checked multiple times for any critters or pyramid snails on every inch of the clam and cannot find anything, I thoroughly cleaned the clam shell before placing in the tank and checked the foot for pyramid snails too. My lighting was only at a maximum intensity of 45% so really not sure why it was bleaching.

Anyhow since it's backflip I decided to place it on the glass bottom since my tank is a bare bottom and see if it'll recover or whatever, my concern now is if it's happy here and it's foot attaches to the glass that the lighting from this far away and angle won't be enough for it.

My ideal Maxima clam location before it went downhill:

20201123_000521.jpg

It's first self caused fall:

20201123_000630.jpg

Bysall threads:

20201123_000613.jpg

Picture of it right now with the lights being off for 3 hours:

20201123_001051.jpg

Thoughts/advice? Thanks in advance.

Bpfor3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will try to reattach if it’s healthy, but the most important thing is keeping it up and not falling. Maybe put it on a scallop shell you can move later, but I think on the bottom is your best bet. Just no more falls. Good luck!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
That clam does best in a cradle or similar and the area it’s in may be offering too much water flow
Good lighting needed and also the following:
Alk not to exceed 9
Ca not to exceed 450
Salinity not to exceed 1.025
Temperature not to exceed 80
Ph not to exceed 8.3
Moderate water flow

Feed phytoplankton daily and inspect clam for any tulip shaped Pyramid snails which will kill them

outerbank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clam has been healthy and showing recent growth. Its not used to the tank, flow, water, and light. Place in cradle on bottom of tank in lower current under one of the lights. If it start adjusting well, keep it there for awhile without moving it.

OP
OP

1Clown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well that's a wrap, seriously annoying how fragile clams are even at around 5-6".

20201123_091722.jpg

bsagea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, stress is a major killer of clams and more than likely, the plunge yours took might have been enough to overwhelm it. The little goby might have added to it by aggravating it. Appeared to have good growth! Other take on it, if this was a wild caught clam, their survival rate is very poor...bsa

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
oh no
Any unusual snails or crab within the shell?
Any levels unusually high or spike?

clams are very touchy and don’t respond to change well

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh....that’s a shame.
Not much help now, but I place mine in a cradle on the bottom, then it attaches, but I can always move it. I can then glue the cradle to the rock if I wish.
This maxi, never left the bottom, seems to like it there.
Just using black boxes.
CB349E25-FCD7-4A96-B9F8-7693BE6BC080.jpeg

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maximas hate being upset. The little ones especially. I know yours was a great size to start if it was near 4". I am sorry. More than likely the fall did it in. The goby probably did not help, but when a clam settles, that is not usually a reason. I had a squammie that hosted my clowns. :)

Future suggestions: If you can get a nice cradle and place at bottom so it is not disturbed. Leave it in one place and broadcast feed some phyto. Make sure the conditions are stable and no nasty pyramid snails are present.

Good luck. Clams can be tricky.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Actually maximas can get upset and bounce right back
Hate to say but the recession of flesh is a bad indicator of potential outcome
Likely causes may be;
Current
Light not enough to produce zooanthele
Alk or alk EFFECT on PH

may want to double check those

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually maximas can get upset and bounce right back
Hate to say but the recession of flesh is a bad indicator of potential outcome
Likely causes may be;
Current
Light not enough to produce zooanthele
Alk or alk EFFECT on PH

may want to double check those
I am glad they bounce back for you. I have had complete opposite with maximas. Every system and clam is different though. :)

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I am glad they bounce back for you. I have had complete opposite with maximas. Every system and clam is different though. :)
Depending on state of the water and parameters, they may not

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am sorry about your clams:(
The clam let go becasue it did not like the place where it was. The fish may be part of the cause, irritated the mantle.
Sorry

FastandCurious

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That goby is definitely not helping the problem. If my lawn mower lands on my clam (not a Maxima) it closes right away. Very sensitive to light as well. But I don't think a fall would kill it. If you can leave it alone (and the goby can buzz off too lol) yours might make a comeback in about a week or so.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 90 87.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back