Help with montis

dennis romano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 40 gallon reef tank. On one side are my LPS( chalices, favias, and gonis) under an Aquamaxx Prism. All are doing great, full color and nice growth. The other side of the tank are my SPS under an AI Prime. They include branching montis, birdnest , anacropora and stylos. Again, all are colorful and growing. For example, my Tubbs stellata went from a frag to bigger than softball in four months. My plating montis( flaming phoenix, cherry tree and Kung pao etc.) are less than blah. There is very little growth and have turned tan to brown. They are placed from the middle to the bottom of the tank. There is strong circulation throughout the tank. Any suggestions on how to perk them up.

CJB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are your parameters? Also pictures would help to diagnose issues. What is your lighting Schedule and flow looking like? Are polyps still appearing? Browning out means that the zooanthelle algae is taking over the pigments of the corals due to a disruption In the photosynthesis in your corals. Could be a lighting issue. Just seeing now that this post was from august are you still having an issue?

Last edited:

Backreefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could it be to much light intensity? I’m having a lot of trouble with montipora myself. My parameters are spot on [email protected],and n@12 DKH @8.3

CJB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could it be to much light intensity? I’m having a lot of trouble with montipora myself. My parameters are spot on [email protected],and n@12 DKH @8.3
Browning out could be a light issue because there is to much light for the monti to synthesize and it pumps itself with zoo algae to make up for the nutrients it is receiving creating the brown color. I suggest moving lower and having slightly more flow. What are your nitrite and nitrates?

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 40 gallon reef tank. On one side are my LPS( chalices, favias, and gonis) under an Aquamaxx Prism. All are doing great, full color and nice growth. The other side of the tank are my SPS under an AI Prime. They include branching montis, birdnest , anacropora and stylos. Again, all are colorful and growing. For example, my Tubbs stellata went from a frag to bigger than softball in four months. My plating montis( flaming phoenix, cherry tree and Kung pao etc.) are less than blah. There is very little growth and have turned tan to brown. They are placed from the middle to the bottom of the tank. There is strong circulation throughout the tank. Any suggestions on how to perk them up.
Orange plating monti is thriving, 8 inches deep with ai prime 16 running 100% 11 inches above the water.
He is 5 inches wide and another orange chip off the block is growing on the other side of the tank.
Nitrates 3, phos 0.1

Backreefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check SG with a calibrated refracter . I used a floater for years, and wish I changed sooner. Instead of 1.025 it was 1.034 . It turned all the montipora brown, at least the ones that didn’t die . This was last summer. Now I suspect my lights intensity. Good luck

CJB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check SG with a calibrated refracter . I used a floater for years, and wish I changed sooner. Instead of 1.025 it was 1.034 . It turned all the montipora brown, at least the ones that didn’t die . This was last summer. Now I suspect my lights intensity. Good luck
If your salinity was that high than that was more than likely the culprit

Backreefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your salinity was that high than that was more than likely the culprit
That was last summer , I’m still haveing problems with montipora. Even new additions . They do well for 2-3 weeks then bleach out .
last night I changed 14 k halide bulbs for 20 k bulbs . Mostly for less intensity. I’m test sampling nutrients occasionally, and I’m happy with the numbers. The flow in the aquarium is like a tropical storm lol .

CJB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That was last summer , I’m still haveing problems with montipora. Even new additions . They do well for 2-3 weeks then bleach out .
last night I changed 14 k halide bulbs for 20 k bulbs . Mostly for less intensity. I’m test sampling nutrients occasionally, and I’m happy with the numbers. The flow in the aquarium is like a tropical storm lol .
Lol what are you nutrient levels?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Overall,,, moderate light and water flow and feed 2-3x per week
Ph 8.1 - 8.3
Temp 77-79
Salinity 1.025
Alk 8-9
Mag 1300
CA 450
NO3 - .03

Backreefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol what are you nutrient levels?
Usually phosphate is at or near .050 and nitrates are always @12-16 ppm . And alkalinity is always 8.2-8.5 DKH
And oddly I better luck with acropora.
the reason for montipora troubles is because I like them . The first rule of reefing “ your favorite coral or fish is always the one that dies “

CJB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those parameters seem to be in a good range, it wouldn’t hurt to bring up your nitrates a little more. That could help get the montis the nutrients they might be lacking What are you feeding? Are your other corals doing well? What do you have for flow? I would say lower them in the tank and see if you can borrow or rent a par meter to see where your montis would do best in your tank.

Last edited:

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 129 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back