Help with mystery algae!

Big Chippa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have this clearish greenish whitish algae covering almost all of my rocks. I have had my fair share of algae battles, why I don't know. My system is a little over a year old. I have a 92 gallon in my living room with a 75 gallon, 55 gallon and a 90 gallon in the basement. Basement tanks are all for filtration. My equipment is definitely sufficient. I have a BM 250 skimmer, plenty of heat, about 800-900 gallon flow through an OM and 2 controlled tunzes - plenty for a 92. I have a GEO 6 18 cal reactor with large style media and a little dolomite dialed in with a ph probe/controller. All my top off goes through a reverse osmosis/deonize system and then a PM kalk reactor controlled by a Tunze osmolator. My Phosphates are kept in check by a 55 gallon refuge crammed tight with tons of cheato and bugs, as well as a PM phos reactor with plenty of feric oxide. I add Randy's two part to adjust levels (really only mag, quite a bit though?) All the equipment is kept in tight check with an AC 3. Lights upstairs are a 250mh with t-5. My system was set up with all Marco rock, about 150 lb cured for months and about 15 lb live rock. I had red planaria flat worms and bombed the tanks with 4 bottles of flatworm exit (enough for 1200 gallons!). Well, it worked and then came the algae! I think it was hair algae. It was freakin' every where. Thick, too. About 5-7 months of battling that stuff and I won. Then I noticed red bugs on a new frag in my tank before I started dipping. Lesson learned on that one! So, I bombed the tank again with Interceptor and it worked. Since all that fun the tank is 100% pest free but now bubble algae and this mystery algae in the picture. It's weird - all my clean up crew seems to turn up dead and has for some time now. It might be my mystery wrasse, not sure, but I think it's the algae. It seems that nothing eats the mystery algae. As far as the bubble algae, I have 4 emerald crabs that don't pay much attention to it, although they graze on other stuff all day. My tank's not big enough to consider getting a fox face as I have two tanks already. Why do I have so many algae problems in this tank? I practice good husbandry, my corals all look good, my parameters don't fluctuate and are as follows - salinity 0.25, phosphates 0.05, nitrates undetectable, calcium 450, magnesium 1300, pH 8.13 - 8.35, alkalinity 9.5 dKh, temperature 77.5 - 79.5. Feeding every other day, one cube frozen, rinsed food, sometimes oyster eggs or cyclopeez, also. I'm stumped. I've never had an algae problem before and now I have my system set up the best I think I can, and now I have an algae problem! The only thing I can think of is that when I started my system I had lack of real biological support. When I touch the rock under water, it is very thick and slimy, and gelatinous feeling, but it doesn't look like it would be. I would have though my dry rock would have seeded into live rock by now. It doesn't make sense. Any thoughts? Need help!!! Attached, is a decent picture of the mystery algae as well as a current tank photo, but the pictures aren't great. My photography sucks, so it's the best I could do

Attachments

• 100_2063 (Small).jpg
    100_2063 (Small).jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 152
  • 100_2067 (Small).jpg
    100_2067 (Small).jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 145
OP
OP
Big Chippa

Big Chippa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are some more shots some people have suggested dyanoflagilites? are they hard to get rid of? you can see the slime on the rocks in the last pic with orangish acan. forgive my camera it is not good.
100_2093 (Small).jpg

100_2095 (Small).jpg

100_2092 (Small).jpg

100_2082 (Small).jpg

100_2084 (Small).jpg

gflat65

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like all of your parameters are in check... How long ago was the RB treatment? Both times I treated, I had an algae outbreak during and afterward that wasn't the easiest to get rid of. Are there contaminants in the area or near the area where the tank is (aerosols, paints, etc.)?

OP
OP
Big Chippa

Big Chippa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RB treatment was maybe 6-8 months ago and no contaminates of any sort near by.

OP
OP
Big Chippa

Big Chippa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I posted the same thread in boston and a few people have said they experienced a algea like this on and several people have stripped and restarted their systems, I have not gotten any success stories or any one who can say what is is and how to beat it:(

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 137 40.8%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 168 50.0%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 31 9.2%
Back