• Other (Comment)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Maxx Yung

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm undecided on what tank to get, either the Nuvo 20, JBJ 10, etc.

Looking for 10-20 gallon range, preferably 10 gallons and rimless. Also probably a decent size sump - would like a skimmer, filter socks and a bag of carbon to fit inside. Please recommend me some small skimmers, I’m new to Nano-tanks.. :)

For lights, either Primes or Hydra 26HD.
Power heads, MP10 Vortech, only need 1 right? Would I need some ATOs and such? Need some recommendations too!

Planning to have a mostly LPS and softies, (like 3-5) and some SPS (1-2). Would lights be strong enough? Bioload probably low, 1 or 2 clowns.

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a sump I got for my 30 gallon cube. I'm taking the tank down tomorrow and gonna use this sump along with a 20 gallon tank I have to make a nice easy maintenance QT tank.

This is the eshoppes nano refugium and the skimmer is the Reef Octopus BH-50. It has worked great for me I just went to a 120 gallon tank and this isn't big enough for that.
IMG_0934.JPG

It uses 4" filter socks

William Norman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm undecided on what tank to get, either the Nuvo 20, JBJ 10, etc.

Looking for 10-20 gallon range, preferably 10 gallons and rimless. Also probably a decent size sump - would like a skimmer, filter socks and a bag of carbon to fit inside. Please recommend me some small skimmers, I’m new to Nano-tanks.. :)

For lights, either Primes or Hydra 26HD.
Power heads, MP10 Vortech, only need 1 right? Would I need some ATOs and such? Need some recommendations too!

Planning to have a mostly LPS and softies, (like 3-5) and some SPS (1-2). Would lights be strong enough? Bioload probably low, 1 or 2 clowns.

Max -how much reefing experience do you have ? It is easier to keep a 20 vs 10.

With lps and softies either primes or hydras would work, you will be able to keep them a lower setting.

In this video you can see the sump. It is fairly large.

I use a biocube skimmer in mine (which I use as a coral and invert QT) - Maybe some others will comment on the skimmer. My experience is just ok with it. It works but I don't see a huge difference.

OP
OP
Maxx Yung

Maxx Yung

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a 16 gal, 32 gal and currently a RSR 750XXL, a decade of reefing.

Might be just me, ive had 4 biocube skimmers and all of them failed for me.

OP
OP
Maxx Yung

Maxx Yung

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do i need a skimmer with 2 fish and corals? And do I need a seperate sump? Would some filter socks, pads, carbon be enough?

OP
OP
Maxx Yung

Maxx Yung

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m thinking then a Nuvo 20, Hydra 26HD, Eshoppes Nano Skimmer (why is that 150$), socks & pads, bag of carbon from my RSR system, MP10. Not sure if I need a separate sump or ATO yet...

William Norman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a plan to me. I would be on the fence for the skimmer. My 2 cents is if you dont feed heavy and stick to LPS you might not need it.

For my ATO I use a this container from Wallyworld and a wifi plug with a Toms aqua lifter. It runs for 2 mins in the morning and night. About once a week I need run it a little extra, I just turn it on from my phone or tablet.

cojo8888

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll just make a shop list for you
Go with nuvo 20 great dimension in real life

GOOD RO/DI FILTER
Nuvo 20
New ghost skimmer dc
Mp10 qwd
Ai prime hd with mount
Smart ato
Upgrade caddie instead of socks filter
Polyfilter pads
Chemi pure blue nano
Rowa Gfo media with bag
Marinepure ball or Live rock rubber
Aqua gadget Led light for refugium
Test kits (salifer due to easy and precise result)
Alk, cl, nitrate, phophate are mandatory to have
Ice cap Salinity checker
Reef crystal salt.
2 part fusion and other additives if needed
Reef roids, full spectrum pallet, mysis shrimps
Algae barn copepods
Dr.tim one and only
Dr.tim ammonia
5g jugs

Live Sand
Dry Rock or man made reef rocks

Cheap 10g breeder qt set ups with sponge filter

Patient for pass all new tank syndrome without adding live stock too fast

You will make a beautiful tank than anyone here.
Easy to take care too.
2 fish, cuc, and corals

I wish did research before I buy like that

cojo8888

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you eater change every week 1 or 2 times no need for skimmer with that bioload

OP
OP
Maxx Yung

Maxx Yung

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, I just realized how dumb I was. I was thinking a Nuvo 10 not a Nuvo 20 xDD.
1-2 fish prob don't need a skimmer, so I won't - I'll just do a lil' 1 gallon water change every week (And 40 gallon change every 2 for my 200gal)

Regarding cojo8888, thank you for all the time you put in! My final list would probably be:
Nuvo 10 Gal
Koralia Nano Powerhead
Prime with Mount, only 1.
Sicce Slient 0.5
Aqua Gadget Custom Caddy, Desktop
Aqua Gadget SpinStream Nozzle
Pads, ROX Carbon and MAYBE Gfo in a bag.

- Already got test kits, salt, additives, food, copepods, pytho, rocks, ammonia, Marine Pure.

Still considering ATO, because it's a 10 gallon I can just fill it .2 or whatever gallons. Idk refuge since it is a tiny tank, not sure if needed if GFO in place already. Also quiting on One and Only since I have the extra rocks from my current tank I can move in.

For fish and corals:
2~ clowns or 1 clown 1 firefish.
Anemone!!!!!! (if going with double clowns)
GSP, Frogspawns.
Quit on SPS since the small tank will be way less stable. I'll keep 'em in my 200.

OP
OP
Maxx Yung

Maxx Yung

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting Sicce Slient 0.5, the stock return is said to be noisy (and I can't have that since I plan on this being in my bedroom). Anyone have this and can confirm?
Koralia Nano simply because it is about 10x cheaper than MP10, and for a 10 gallon I don't need a 250$ pump. Wonder if it is quiet tho.
Hopefully 2 clowns are able to be inside a 10 gal, and 1 anemone (BTA prob) and GSP and Frogspawn.

cojo8888

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, I just realized how dumb I was. I was thinking a Nuvo 10 not a Nuvo 20 xDD.
1-2 fish prob don't need a skimmer, so I won't - I'll just do a lil' 1 gallon water change every week (And 40 gallon change every 2 for my 200gal)

Regarding cojo8888, thank you for all the time you put in! My final list would probably be:
Nuvo 10 Gal
Koralia Nano Powerhead
Prime with Mount, only 1.
Sicce Slient 0.5
Aqua Gadget Custom Caddy, Desktop
Aqua Gadget SpinStream Nozzle
Pads, ROX Carbon and MAYBE Gfo in a bag.

- Already got test kits, salt, additives, food, copepods, pytho, rocks, ammonia, Marine Pure.

Still considering ATO, because it's a 10 gallon I can just fill it .2 or whatever gallons. Idk refuge since it is a tiny tank, not sure if needed if GFO in place already. Also quiting on One and Only since I have the extra rocks from my current tank I can move in.

For fish and corals:
2~ clowns or 1 clown 1 firefish.
Anemone!!!!!! (if going with double clowns)
GSP, Frogspawns.
Quit on SPS since the small tank will be way less stable. I'll keep 'em in my 200.
Since its nano, water fracture easily.

I rather skip some of the gadget and go ato
I used koralia nano it sucks only one way flow
And mine stopped work after 4months. Mp 10 is way to go. 10 was way to small and cramped looking I'd go 20

OP
OP
Maxx Yung

Maxx Yung

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you mean "water fracture easily"
I'm really aganist ATO for a 10 gallon, it's easily 150 or 200$.
I know Nano sucks, but it is 10x cheaper! Would i really need MP10, i think the spin stream and nano would provide great water flow...
Regarding tank, for me i like a small setup since i got a biggggg one already. 2 clowns and anemone should be okay... right?

Tango Tangy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 25g IM Fusion lagoon and I use the Tunze 9001 skimmer which works perfectly and is so quiet. I had to make some adjustments for it to fit in my tank but it works like a charm. It may be too large for your setup if you are looking to go smaller. I wouldn’t suggest using any of the Innnovative Marine nano skinner because I have had bad luck with them in the past. Hope this helps!

Back