Help with Pellet Feeding

Struggler

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am new to the saltwater tanks and have just started my tank with three blue/green chromis and two Ocellaris clownfish. I have had the chromis for about a month and the clown fish for about a week and a half. I have been feeding my chromis brine shrimp from day one, same food my lfs fed them, and have been trying to get them over to pellets. As of right now they will take it into their mouths and then spit it out. The problem is that now my clownfish are slowly starting to not accept pellets ;Drowning.

I feed twice a day, and I will usually start with trying to give them pellets then add brine shrimp. I go through about a cube every day and a half/ two days. I have tried soaking the pellets in tank water for a few minutes before I try feeding it to them, and just adding them directly to the tank. I do keep my pumps on as I have seen the chromis and clowns react to the moving pellets better than the pellets sinking straight down.

I feed from one specific location, and they have started to have a reaction to when I move around that location, but I am about half way through the pack and don't want to buy another pack o_O. Its not breaking the bank, but I do prefer feeding them pellets and it will save some cash in the long run. Any help or experience would be greatly appreciated:).

P.S. I know that brine shrimp aren't super nutritious, if I finish the pack and they still haven't gotten used to pellet should I switch to mysis or is that too much of a risk too

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Skip feeding for a day or 2, then try the pellets. If that doesn't work, get a vatiety of frozen, rotate the foods offered for a few weeks, skip a few days, then try the pellets again.

cloak

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Without knowing how big the pellets are you might want to crush them with a knife and then try feeding them. Definitely soak them in a cup of water for a few minutes first though to soften them up. GL.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 19 16.4%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 52 44.8%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 39 33.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back