Help with puffer

banger32

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Evening everyone. I purchased a porcupine puffer about 1month ago I'm having serious issues with him eating live food ghost shrimp to be exact. He won't eat frozen foods at all. I have tried silversides, clams on a half shell rottifiers. I tried not feeding him for a couple of days still didn't work he just watches the food sink to the bottom and he swims by it. I figured after a few days he would devour it but I guess I was wrong. Does anyone have any suggestions cause I am lost. He is so stubborn.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try feeding him the fresh dead ghosties, either ones that die naturally of freeze then defrost some. If he won't take them if they hit the bottom, flick them up with a feeding stick(rigid airline). You could also try stick feeding by piecing small chunks of food and trying to entice him by getting his attention and moving it around, as if alive of sorts. Cut the silversides into bite sized chunks; scallop, shrimp, salmon, squid are other market choices. He may chase some PE Mysis(not regular mysis) through the water column. He may need some movement in his food choices before he finally breaks through to eating dead food.

OP
OP
banger32

banger32

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try feeding him the fresh dead ghosties, either ones that die naturally of freeze then defrost some. If he won't take them if they hit the bottom, flick them up with a feeding stick(rigid airline). You could also try stick feeding by piecing small chunks of food and trying to entice him by getting his attention and moving it around, as if alive of sorts. Cut the silversides into bite sized chunks; scallop, shrimp, salmon, squid are other market choices. He may chase some PE Mysis(not regular mysis) through the water column. He may need some movement in his food choices before he finally breaks through to eating dead food.
Yes I tried that with the silversides but with tweezers but I could try some other foods also. Thanks

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I tried that with the silversides but with tweezers but I could try some other foods also. Thanks

A clear feeding stick is sometimes more successful. A rigid airline bending towards the end so as not to go straight into the face. Cut the stick at an angle to pierce the food.

ReefHog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any luck? I would try krill. While it’s not good to feed exclusively krill it’s a good food to get them going. I’ve never had issues feeding with feeding tweezers/tongs.

OP
OP
banger32

banger32

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No luck. I have tried krill I actually bought two different brands. I tried soaking ghost shrimp in garlic and then regular food to see if I could trick him but he's not a fool lol

ReefHog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been keeping porcupines since the early 90s. Four to be exact. None of them have ever turned down a meal. I keep reading of ones that are very finicky, I just haven't experienced that. My last one would eat nori sheets every day. My current one won't touch it so obviously they do have individual tastes. Did you try feeding live ghost shrimp with the tweezers/tongs? At least he might get used to eating from tweezers/tongs that way. Then I would freeze some ghost shrimp and mix the live shrimp with frozen ones (defrosted of coarse) and eventually he should start taking the dead ones. Then quit live foods and slowly mix in other frozen foods.

marin8n

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my Porc was like a goat. But because of their vision they can't always see smaller food. Mine would destroy sheets of Nori before the tangs could get to it so I had to distract him with silversides. A small frozen clam or mussel is also a good treat and as a bonus they get to work those teeth down.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 77 37.9%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 69 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 26 12.8%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back