Help with red sea nitrate test

LxHowler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have been using a API nitrate test since I first started my tank, it has seemed pretty reliable but it has just run out so I thought id try the red sea pro test, bought the kit with phosphate aswell.
The issue I'm having is that the API test was saying my nitrates are at 10 but I've just tried the red sea using high range test and it is saying my nitrates are off the chart. Meaning they are over 64 ppm
The issue is I don't know which to believe, my tank appears healthy, none of my sps have browned out, my algae is very little, and everything has nice colour.
Should I write this test kit off or should I be ignoring the API and doing emergency water changes to lower nitrates? Anyone experience this before

OP
OP
LxHowler

LxHowler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update, just tested against 0 tds to water. Same result.
About to get some bottled distilled water to test against and then contact red sea if the same result

Mark Nicoletti

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been having same problem. No matter what I was reading >64. So I purchased a different kit and it tested at 3. I have a 3rd kit coming today. I think Red Sea May have a bad batch.

Cwentz758

Do you even Reef bro?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm are you waiting the 9 minutes before reading? And looking directly down the test tube? I’m just saying looking at the tube from the side always looks like it’s over the max reading.

jccaclimber

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does that test require diluting the sample water? Are you?
When you say you tested with a different kit, do you mean another brand, or another instance of the same Red Sea kit?

Mark Nicoletti

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. I dilute according to the instructions. I tested numerous times with the Red Sea. They I purchased a NYOS and a Salifert kit to compare. Red Sea was >64 every time. NYOS and Salifert were both in the 3 range.

I have a call in to RedSea. I’m thinking it may be a bad batch of reagents.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back