Help with reverse Superman monti

LovesDogs_CatsRokay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is going on with my reverse Superman monti? It was doing great in my QT and has faded a ton since it’s been in the DT for two weeks. Does it look like it’s getting too much light? I have it down near the sandbed.

Phosphates .08
Nitrates 8
Alk 8.26
Ca 420

D2C2DE10-29FC-44D4-B69E-15D46B1257E7.jpeg

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What lighting is it under? Monti's generally like decent light; certainly if for example zoas aren't getting too much light then a monti shouldn't be either. Is it getting some decent flow? Also, what is your magnesium level? I was also wondering what kind of glue the frag is attached to that rock with, and if the glue is touching the coral tissue.

OP
OP
LovesDogs_CatsRokay

LovesDogs_CatsRokay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What lighting is it under? Monti's generally like decent light; certainly if for example zoas aren't getting too much light then a monti shouldn't be either. Is it getting some decent flow? Also, what is your magnesium level? I was also wondering what kind of glue the frag is attached to that rock with, and if the glue is touching the coral tissue.

I have two kessil 360s about 8 inches above the surface. Zoas are going like crazy at the same level. I think it’s getting decent flow but not sure how to measure that. I wasn’t able to test mag because I just realized I’m out of the reagent. And there’s no glue touching the tissue. The coral is on a plug that’s glued to the rock. Here is a pic of my lighting schedule.

BA800848-CCFB-4EDC-8687-06A6991A994A.png

rkpetersen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check magnesium for sure. How was lighting in the QT compared to now? If lighting is similar and nothing else comes up, I'd probably try to increase the flow across it somewhat. It will like more than zoas, typically.

OP
OP
LovesDogs_CatsRokay

LovesDogs_CatsRokay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check magnesium for sure. How was lighting in the QT compared to now? If lighting is similar and nothing else comes up, I'd probably try to increase the flow across it somewhat. It will like more than zoas, typically.

Almost looked burnt. Is the alk different in the qt tank, any alk swings, is it under more intense light than in the qt?

I got the refill for my magnesium test. It’s 1180. That’s a little low right? What number should I shoot for?

I don’t think it’s Alk burn. I made sure the alk in both tanks was close before I transferred it. I’m not sure about light. In the QT I had it under sb reef lights and now it’s under the kessils. It’s down at the bottom though so I don’t think it’s getting tons of light.

Coralreefer1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Magnesium should be maintained at three times what you calcium level is, so with your calcium level at 420, you want your magnesium level maintained around 1260. It could be an alkalinity issue? Water parameters fluctuations are never good when it comes to SPS corals, even though Montipora species are a little more forgiving!
Unfortunately, when my monti looks like yours, it usually dies.

rkpetersen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
double post

rkpetersen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got the refill for my magnesium test. It’s 1180. That’s a little low right? What number should I shoot for?

I don’t think it’s Alk burn. I made sure the alk in both tanks was close before I transferred it. I’m not sure about light. In the QT I had it under sb reef lights and now it’s under the kessils. It’s down at the bottom though so I don’t think it’s getting tons of light.

Yeah that's pretty low, should be corrected, although again, it's not proof that this is the cause of the problem. Coralreefer1's answer is correct, although having a mag that's a bit on the high side causes no problems and serves as a reservoir as well as reducing the probability of calcium carbonate abiotic precipitation. I try to keep mine around 1400. Don't try and raise your mag all at once; you can dose mag daily, but shoot for around only 8 ppm rise per dose.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 20 33.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 11.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 20 33.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 11 18.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.7%
Back