Help with Sebae ID- Malu or Crispa?

  • Thread starter Thread starter alan3402
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

alan3402

New Member
View Badges
Joined
May 15, 2020
Messages
21
Reaction score
35
Location
Omaha
What state or country do you live in
Nebraska
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hoping someone could help with ID on this anemone.

I bought this from my LFS a year ago as a Sebae. I have tried to match up to existing Crispa and Malu photos w/o much luck.

It is about 12" across and taking over my 40g.

Thanks!

20210504_145754.jpg
 
That is a very beautiful Malu. I ID it as a Malu because:
1. it is living in the sand, Crispa live on the rock
2. Too low tentacle count to be a Crispa and Crispa alss get much larger.
3. It has tentacles that have rings, not the marking but the swollen partial rings on a lot of the tentacles

foot pictures will not help. The column of Crispa and Malu can be the same, and there are a lot of color variations from white-grey to yellow, to orange and red. Verrucae also similar between the two species.

Top down picture to show him off please, that my fee for ID him for you.
 
Thanks everyone for the help! Mostly I worry it will outgrow my 40g. It has been on a walk-about after I upgraded my return pump and trying to settle back in.

I dug deeper into some of the more science specific google results and found a pic that looks like mine and it was designated as a R. Malu.

Top down for OrionN :)
20210505_090915.jpg

Natural Light
20210215_102144.jpg
 
Funny..I read somewhere that malu only top out at about 8" dia...?
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 3 60.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 1 20.0%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new