Help

Saltwaterfishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was sold this guy as a leather for 10$$!! I think it is a green sinularia and wanted to know if it looks fine. Never really changed looks.

image.jpg

OP
OP
Saltwaterfishy

Saltwaterfishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I moved it to more flow because stuff was building up now it seems like the heads are separating. What's wrong?

image.jpg

OP
OP
Saltwaterfishy

Saltwaterfishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I adjusted it so the flow isn't directly on it. Should I just give it more time.current photo:
Are there supposto be polyps opening up on this coral?

image.jpg

cameronh

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most likely because you moved it, give it a little time to readjust. If I even stick my hand in the water my zoas will close up like they're hiding or something lol

Naiad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you are stressing the guy. It looked happy and like it was beginning to open up before the move. They don't like strong direct current so that is why he shriveled again. another thing that might be causing it to stay closed are the apstasia around it.

OP
OP
Saltwaterfishy

Saltwaterfishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you are stressing the guy. It looked happy and like it was beginning to open up before the move. They don't like strong direct current so that is why he shriveled again. another thing that might be causing it to stay closed are the apstasia around it.
Ok thanks I'll try to keep my hands out. I always get all worried and then regret what I did. I'm working on the aptasia problem now. The reason I moved him was be cause I saw a light layer of algae forming on one of the heads. So I thought he needed more flow because things were building up

cameronh

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thanks I'll try to keep my hands out. I always get all worried and then regret what I did. I'm working on the aptasia problem now. The reason I moved him was be cause I saw a light layer of algae forming on one of the heads. So I thought he needed more flow because things were building up
It will be alright, stick your hands in the tank, just make sure they are clean. Only way to learn is by doing, and by all means ask questions along the way. We are here to help each other

OP
OP
Saltwaterfishy

Saltwaterfishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will be alright, stick your hands in the tank, just make sure they are clean. Only way to learn is by doing, and by all means ask questions along the way. We are here to help each other
Thanks a lot I'm more calm now lol. I got him on Sunday along with a Kenya tree coral that is starting to look better but not opened. I'm guessing there just getting used to the tank? When is it that I should start worrying. If the sinularia looks better but the polyps are opening is that a bad thing? And lastly with the corals a just to a position that they like?
Sorry for all the worrying I just want to be prepared in the long run. I've had my tank for 3 years but never got corals so I'm new to this.

Naiad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If that happens in the future try just gently running water over the coral. A turkey baster is a good choice for this. I have the same bad habit of over worrying about coral placement. Probably why me and sps never got along. Constantly changing things.

cameronh

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks a lot I'm more calm now lol. I got him on Sunday along with a Kenya tree coral that is starting to look better but not opened. I'm guessing there just getting used to the tank? When is it that I should start worrying. If the sinularia looks better but the polyps are opening is that a bad thing? And lastly with the corals a just to a position that they like?
Sorry for all the worrying I just want to be prepared in the long run. I've had my tank for 3 years but never got corals so I'm new to this.
The Kenya tree will take awhile to fully open up and look happy, mine took about 3 weeks before it stopped slumping over and staying tucked in. I'm more of a soft coral guy so I don't know too much about sps or lps. Other than they are corals that it haha. You should be alright, if you can keep fish, you can keep coral.....to a certain degree. Just find a good spot you like for your corals, place them and let them sit and keep your water levels right and watch the flourish! If something bad starts to happen, or something that worries you, post it with a picture, and we will try to help keep your flow going!

OP
OP
Saltwaterfishy

Saltwaterfishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If that happens in the future try just gently running water over the coral. A turkey baster is a good choice for this. I have the same bad habit of over worrying about coral placement. Probably why me and sps never got along. Constantly changing things.
I have a turkey baser that I use but I just assumed that since it was building up- a bit more flow. My hob protein skimmer is above it. Do you thanks that will be too much flow?

OP
OP
Saltwaterfishy

Saltwaterfishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Kenya tree will take awhile to fully open up and look happy, mine took about 3 weeks before it stopped slumping over and staying tucked in. I'm more of a soft coral guy so I don't know too much about sps or lps. Other than they are corals that it haha. You should be alright, if you can keep fish, you can keep coral.....to a certain degree. Just find a good spot you like for your corals, place them and let them sit and keep your water levels right and watch the flourish! If something bad starts to happen, or something that worries you, post it with a picture, and we will try to help keep your flow going!
If you don't mine change the setting to watch on my thread I think so u can help me out haha. A question about the flow in my post above^^

OP
OP
Saltwaterfishy

Saltwaterfishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The rock the Kenya is a weird shape. Is it ok for another rock to push against the base to hold it up?

image.jpg

Naiad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes just be careful because the Kenya will begin growing in both. You don't want to rip it in the future. Though by then I'm sure you will have a back up Kenya.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 107 76.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.7%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back